VOGONS

First post, by PlaneVuki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

Is there a simple and good n64 emulator that would do software rendering?

CPU use only, no gpu derivers present.

I have that for psx, but how many n64 emus I tried all failed.

I need no fancy graphics, just something that works.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What PSX emulator are you using that has software rendering? That sounds odd.

N64 emulation is inherently difficult and I would not expect an emulator that does "software rendering" to have improved compatibility. It certainly won't be quick.

In any case, as you may have noticed, there is not much discussion of console emulation here.

Reply 2 of 6, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2021-06-04, 22:52:

What PSX emulator are you using that has software rendering? That sounds odd.

N64 emulation is inherently difficult and I would not expect an emulator that does "software rendering" to have improved compatibility. It certainly won't be quick.

In any case, as you may have noticed, there is not much discussion of console emulation here.

beetle psx on retroarch there is a software only option for the emulation, it's one of the most precise ps1 emulators out there I think

perhaps the oldschool connectix vgs also didn't use 3d acceleration?

as for the N64 not sure,

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SPBHM wrote on 2021-06-05, 00:17:

perhaps the oldschool connectix vgs also didn't use 3d acceleration?

My point is, whether or not it uses 3D acceleration doesn't mean that it will somehow be more accurate. Considering how early Connectix VGS was released (and that it didn't even use the original PSX BIOS), I doubt it is anywhere near as accurate as current emulators, hardware-accelerated or otherwise.

In any case, a bit of Googling turns up https://www.libretro.com/index.php/introducin … lemednafen-psx/ , which suggests that you definitely shouldn't expect N64 graphics emulation to be anything like PSX graphics emulation.

Anyway, CEN64 aims for "perfect" N64 emulation, but I don't think it's finished yet. I'm not sure whether it uses GPU acceleration or not, but it almost certainly has high system requirements.
https://github.com/n64dev/cen64

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PlaneVuki wrote on 2021-06-05, 19:20:

no n64 games for me then.. At least it's better than the other way around.

People have been playing N64 games with the existing emulators for years now. Yes, the experience is less than perfect, but if you demand perfection, you might as well get the original hardware.

People used to think NESticle and ZSNES were perfectly acceptable too. (And were they really so wrong?)