VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So on my most modern desktop pc I have a MSI Z77A-GD55.

I think I'll stick with it for a while as it can play the games I like with my overclocked i5 processor and GeForce 1070 and 16 GB of ram.

But I realize I need to upgrade the SSD as I'm starting to get problems installing some games on one of the two 100 GB ssds I have. I'm thinking about getting an other 1 tb SSD drive but I don't know what I should go for.

I know that there different kinds of SSD and but I doubt my motherboard supports the most recent ones. What are my options here?

A decent SATA SSD would probably be good enough but at some point I want to upgrade the motherboard and I guess it would be nice to have a storage media that is somewhat future proof.

Reply 1 of 4, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to go for future proof, you could buy an m2 nvme drive and a pcie adapter. Personally, I would not buy anything below 2TB. For gaming, the performance difference vs. a SATA SSD should be negligible.

Reply 2 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An m.2 NVME SSD in a PCI Express adapter will work an will be faster than a SATA SSD, but will not be bootable in a motherboard whose BIOS/UEFI does not have native UEFI support (there are workarounds/kludges around this) . As mentioned by mihai, although there is a performance difference, which can appear quite significant when measured in a synthetic benchmark, in practice, for something like gaming it is unlikely to be very perceptible (i.e. 4 times faster in a synthetic benchmark, for example, may seem significant, but when that translates to something like 12 seconds versus 3 seconds or even less of a difference when CPU processing time comes into play, I don't personally don't see a reason to care).

As for future proofing, I doubt SATA is going away completely any time soon on desktop motherboards and even if that is a concern, PCIE SATA controllers are common and cheap .

Future proofing is a nice concept, but the way you mention it, the planned upgrade point is in an undefined future, I would not spending much time and effort planning for it as
a) SSD drives will get bigger and faster over time
b) SSD drives will get cheaper over time (at least in the long term, after that crypto goldrush hopefully blows over)

In that context, spending more money now to get something better than what you need or can actually take advantage of in the hope of taking advantage of the extra functionality/speed later on when better and cheaper alternatives will likely be available does not seem worth it to me . Additionally, seeing that you are posting this on Vogons, one would assume you that have an interest in things retro and likely still will down the road, so reusing an "old" SATA SSD in a gainful way should not be a problem.

Finally, unless, you actually need/want 2TB or more of game storage now (considering that you are currently living on 2x100GB, I doubt that you would need 10 times more right now, correct me if I am wrong), getting an SSD that big is not worth it right now, IMHO. For example, in my neck of the woods, looking at Samsung 870 EVO series SATA SSD prices (QVO have less endurance and are thus even cheaper, I personally wouldn't go there, maybe you would, we all have different comfort levels/needs on that front, other manufacturer) as an example :
(prices are in Canadian dollars from a competitive local retailer)
Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SATA III Solid State Drive : $57.99 --> 0.23.196 dollar/GB
Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA III Solid State Drive: $89.99 --> 0.17998 dollar/GB
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SATA III Solid State Drive : $169.99 --> 0.1699 dollar/GB
Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA III Solid State Drive : $269.99 (currently on special from 324.99 )--> 0.134995 dollar/GB or 0.162495 dollar/GB at regular price
Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SATA III Solid State Drive : $624.99 --> 0.1562475 dollar/GB

Of course, the current special on the 2TB drive makes it a more an interesting proposition currently, but otherwise, you start getting pretty decent value from 500GB onwards . Whether you need 2TB now is something only you can know or maybe guess at and, to be clear, I am not advocating that you get the smallest drive you can (planning for growth does make sense). My point is just that too much future proofing and capacity over-planning can cost more money than it saves.

Interesting graph of price history and projections in this article :
https://thessdguy.com/wdc-no-ssdhdd-crossover/

That's just my long-winded 2 cents of an opinion .

Happy planning/shopping .

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-06-05, 13:08:
Future proofing is a nice concept, but the way you mention it, the planned upgrade point is in an undefined future, I would not […]
Show full quote

Future proofing is a nice concept, but the way you mention it, the planned upgrade point is in an undefined future, I would not spending much time and effort planning for it as
a) SSD drives will get bigger and faster over time
b) SSD drives will get cheaper over time (at least in the long term, after that crypto goldrush hopefully blows over)

In that context, spending more money now to get something better than what you need or can actually take advantage of in the hope of taking advantage of the extra functionality/speed later on when better and cheaper alternatives will likely be available does not seem worth it to me . Additionally, seeing that you are posting this on Vogons, one would assume you that have an interest in things retro and likely still will down the road, so reusing an "old" SATA SSD in a gainful way should not be a problem.

Yes, future proofing tends to look like when you bought a P90 system in 1994 for $10,000 to avoid having to spend $2000 in 1996 for a P133 system.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok thanks for the opinions! I think I'm going to go with a SATA 1 tb drive probably the Evo 870 that seems so popular.

The reason is mostly because I simply won't the able to fit some games on my SSD drives soon. Maybe it was GTA 5 I had to make room for can't remember.( I seldom play new games to be honest though. Just warhammer total war the last years.)