VOGONS

Voodoo 2 SLI?

Topic actions

First post, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey All,
I don’t know a lot about Voodoo cards. But for Windows 98 Gaming would these SLI Voodoo 2s be fairly compatible and perform well? Can I put them in any board with the appropriate slots or are only certain motherboards compatible? Or would I be better off with a Ti 4200? The rest of my system is a 600mhz Slot A P3 w/ 512mb of ram and an oddball sound card. I’m not looking to play anything XP or Later I have a separate machine for that. Just primarily stuff like Quake 2 era and earlier.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A V2 SLI setup should be great for the Quake 2 era, a P3-600 is a bit newer than what was available when the V2 came out but still a great match. Obviously the Ti 4200 will be considerably faster since it's a more modern card, but you don't need to choose as you still need a primary video card to handle 2D stuff (V2 is 3D only). The V2 SLI will be really nice for games that use the Glide API (such as Unreal), and you can fall back to the GeForce for D3D or OpenGL.

As long as you have 2 free PCI slots to install the cards you are good to go, no special requirements.

Reply 3 of 10, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-06-05, 20:33:

A V2 SLI setup should be great for the Quake 2 era, a P3-600 is a bit newer than what was available when the V2 came out but still a great match. Obviously the Ti 4200 will be considerably faster since it's a more modern card, but you don't need to choose as you still need a primary video card to handle 2D stuff (V2 is 3D only). The V2 SLI will be really nice for games that use the Glide API (such as Unreal), and you can fall back to the GeForce for D3D or OpenGL.

As long as you have 2 free PCI slots to install the cards you are good to go, no special requirements.

Thank you for that. I’ll give it a try and see how I like it. I’m still piecing my system together but wasn’t sure which card to use. I was worried about Glide compatibility and didn’t know if there was a compatible wrapper with the ti 4200 that would work with 98.

kolderman wrote on 2021-06-05, 20:38:

Ti4200 + V2SLI would be a nice combination.

Would this work? I’ve never done that sort of thing with a system this old. I have the slots available on my board but don’t want to risk breaking anything. Can the PCI/AGP lanes deliver enough power?

Reply 5 of 10, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a nice set! If you pair the voodoo cards with a geforce then the geforce will do the directX stuff and the 2d stuff and the voodoo cards will pretty much be asleep until you run things in glide mode. It's a pretty good combination! I have a v2 SLI with my nvidia FX card and it works great.

If you wanted to, you could also pair them with a simple 2d only card and just use the V2 for directx and glide. The later geforce cards are much faster and offer 32 bit colors and more filtering, but the v2 cards are more fun and pretty well compatible with anything you might want to run from that era 😀.

Reply 6 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run a pair of Voodoo IIs in my P3 Tualatin machine, alongside a GeForce FX 5800 (Well Quadro FX 1000 actually), it makes for a good broad gaming platform spanning from 97~ through to 2003~ without breaking too much of a sweat (bar the heat from the RAMBUS!)

Reply 7 of 10, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MoG91 wrote on 2021-06-05, 20:22:

Hey All,
I don’t know a lot about Voodoo cards. But for Windows 98 Gaming would these SLI Voodoo 2s be fairly compatible and perform well? Can I put them in any board with the appropriate slots or are only certain motherboards compatible? Or would I be better off with a Ti 4200? The rest of my system is a 600mhz Slot A P3 w/ 512mb of ram and an oddball sound card. I’m not looking to play anything XP or Later I have a separate machine for that. Just primarily stuff like Quake 2 era and earlier.

Well the first advantage you are having, is that you have two of the same cards. Not everyone is so lucky.
Theoretically you should be able to put these cards in SLI mode at any PC with 2 free PCI slots.
Be aware that performance wise, anything less then a pentium 2 233 even a single card is only usefull for gaming at 800x600 compared to a voodoo 1 Just as fast.
And SLI for gaming at 1024x768 at a poor performance. If you want to take advantage over having a SLI setup in stead of a single card, performance wise, you should stick with at least an AMD k6-2 550mhz or pentium 2 500.
The pentium 3 you are talking about is almost hitting a sweet spot for these cards.
If you decide to go with a AMD athlon, you need an athlon driver fix or your cards wil keep crashing windows on startup (133mhz fsb and higher if I recall it correctly).
The d3d support for these cards are performance wise to be called poor at the least. But if you run your machine with a GF 4 TI 4200 for example like mentioned above, you are in an excellent setup for either d3d and 3dfx gaming. For any game from 1996 to 2001. But for the GF4 I would recommend at least a 1.5Ghz cpu.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 8 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the first advantage you are having, is that you have two of the same cards.

On practical level, it's not an advantage for like 15+ years now. Sure, you could scratch that itch for color/PCB symmetry, but that's all.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-06-06, 16:31. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 10, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And not having to install the mismatch drivers.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 10 of 10, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-06-06, 09:47:
Well the first advantage you are having, is that you have two of the same cards. Not everyone is so lucky. Theoretically you sho […]
Show full quote
MoG91 wrote on 2021-06-05, 20:22:

Hey All,

Well the first advantage you are having, is that you have two of the same cards. Not everyone is so lucky.
Theoretically you should be able to put these cards in SLI mode at any PC with 2 free PCI slots.
Be aware that performance wise, anything less then a pentium 2 233 even a single card is only usefull for gaming at 800x600 compared to a voodoo 1 Just as fast.
And SLI for gaming at 1024x768 at a poor performance. If you want to take advantage over having a SLI setup in stead of a single card, performance wise, you should stick with at least an AMD k6-2 550mhz or pentium 2 500.
The pentium 3 you are talking about is almost hitting a sweet spot for these cards.
If you decide to go with a AMD athlon, you need an athlon driver fix or your cards wil keep crashing windows on startup (133mhz fsb and higher if I recall it correctly).
The d3d support for these cards are performance wise to be called poor at the least. But if you run your machine with a GF 4 TI 4200 for example like mentioned above, you are in an excellent setup for either d3d and 3dfx gaming. For any game from 1996 to 2001. But for the GF4 I would recommend at least a 1.5Ghz cpu.

Sadly my Ti4200 has bulgy, leaky caps and is done! I’ll try to repair it but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had more wrong. I have these with an 8500 LE right now and they seem to be playing nice! Which is exciting! I have a P2 500 in a Dell sitting around somewhere. I’ll pull that and see if it works with my Asus P2B. But the processor compatibility on this board honestly isn’t the best. Mine is an early revision. I have another pair of these that work that I’ve posted on eBay to further fund my vintage PC addiction. Thank you all for the help,