VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello again. 😁

I have configured almost everything on my 3 DOS PCs except one thing. I added to all of them Win3.11 and installer failed me, I noticed command win was supposed to run it no matter which folder I'm in but it doesn't work unless I'm in C:\Windows\

Any way to edit config.sys or autoexec.bat to make command win starting win.com from C:\Windows?

Thanks in advance. 😀

Reply 2 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to add C:\Windows to your PATH system variable. You can do this in autoexec.bat using the SET command.

Once the PATH variable is set DOS will always check that location for executable files regardless of current directory.

Reply 4 of 14, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your autoexec.bat should have a line as follows already in:

SET PATH=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\TOOLS\APP1;etc;etc;etc

It will vary depending on what you've already installed in Dos, any driver installers, etc.

Amend it so that you have C:\Windows on the end, for example:

SET PATH=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\TOOLS\APP1;C:\Windows

The semicolon separates each individual path entry that is searched.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 14, by BeastOfSoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
haker120 wrote on 2021-06-06, 13:31:

Now command EDIT stopped to work for me:
bad command or file name.

Ok, fixing path helped and command WIN runs Windows 3.11 no matter where I am. 😁

You probably messed up the existing PATH variable. Your autoexec.bat should already have had one, and if you simply added SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS at the end, then you redefined the existing one which contained C:\DOS. That, or you mistyped something.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And please don't be confused if Autoexec.bat merely contains PATH= instead of SET PATH=

Both are valid. Similarly, there also was the
ERASE command which did the same as DEL..

Edit: Some not so important detail..
Programs in a directory that is mentioned first are executed first, too.

So if SMARTDRV, MSCDEX etc are both available in DOS and WINDOWS directory,
MS DOS depends upon the order of the PATH variable.

This can sometimes make a difference,
because, say, MS-DOS 5 is older than Windows 3.10.
But MS-DOS 6.22 in turn is newer than Windows 3.10..

Again, no big deal. Just change the order or execute the programs with full path
or change the old programs extension to *.OLD,*.BAK etc.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 14, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now everything is working, mostly, having two COM mouses and only one works well, both work under DOS, only one (Microsoft compatible) work under Win3.11, Genius GM-F303 works only two seconds under 3.11 and like suddenly 'cuts out'. Other things that annoys me is mouse driver (under DOS) causes conflict with both Monkey Islands Talkie Editions (made from legally bought GOG versions) when MT-32 is used.

Bonus question because this confuses me. I own legitimate Win98SE and WinME OSes, I heard 98 is readily available on local market and ebay and as for ME is ultra rare, is this true? (Both are Polish version as my native, not that I mind that, but for 98 'unofficial SP' causes language conflict).

Reply 9 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are you using for your mouse driver? Microsoft mouse.com or CuteMouse? Cutemouse is the better option and may have better luck detecting your Genius mouse, maybe?
http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

I don't think WinME is rare as such. Win98 was around a lot longer so a lot more CD's were produced, not to mention WinME was bit of a flop so alot of people "downgraded" to 98 even after ME was released.
Maybe MS never bothered to make a 2nd pressing polish versions of WinME seeing how poorly they sold? In any case even if it is rare I doubt its collectable .

Reply 10 of 14, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Under DOS I have CuteMouse, not sure which version.

I don't regret buying 98SE and ME even if not collector's item. 😀 And I didn't see too many updates for ME, not to mention on my Athlon it works well, even better than 98SE, which surpised me tbh. 😁

Reply 11 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually now that you mention it, I had this problem once, my cheat fix was to run ctmouse again from within windows.
I can't remember which PC that was, I never worked out what caused it.
Either a PC using PS2 that I ended up formatting/re installing and it went away
or a PC using serial that I ended up installing Win95 on.

I guess you could try the different branches of cutemouse?

and I don't mind WinME, I tried it back in the day on our P2. I didn't like the fact you had to hack booting to dos back in something I used quite often to play LAN games with our 486, It was faster to boot but slower once running and anyway I was was already dual booting NT4 or 2000 by that point so ME only gave me drawbacks and no real benefits.

I agree its a very good choice today though for high spec pure 9x build, but of course the problem is it lacks nostalgia.
I've still got it installed on an old laptop though, just because.
I've a copy of Vista Ultimate, another unloved OS, but it's nice to know I own it should I ever want a vista rig for some strange reason

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! 😎👍

I'm also glad things are now up and running. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Works well enough, just cannot make VDM drivers to work with my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, but WDM work under Windows and play sounds from compatible games, no music tho. This PC is mainly for 16bit games that don't run under winXP and newer. 😀