VOGONS

First post, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good morning all,

A few weeks ago I had posted for bios problem,
Indeed, I could not access it any more and after various various discussions and tests it is to prove that this one would be dead.

The problem would have been a too powerful amd phenom2 x4 940 (120w) processor with a too weak 230w power supply on a Ga Ma770 DS3 rev1 motherboard.

So I decided to buy myself an Aerocool LUX550 power supply unit and I found the same motherboard so a Ga Ma770 DS3 rev1 in new condition and to put my old processor back in order not to have any more problems.

so the configuration is this:
motherboard: Ga Ma770 Ds3
ram: 4GB
gpu: radeon hd 3850
cpu amd phenom x3 8450

Everything was going well with her it's been 21week since I have it.
I flashed the bios in v7 in order to have more options and it was all very well.

Today I decided to correctly redo my triple boot win xp / win / and studio ubuntu in order to have all the boots on grub.

I had to redo the installation 3 times in order to understand how to put all the boots on grub and once the operation was successful I run win xp and it freezes when loading.

I wait some time but seeing that nothing answers I turn off and on the computer.
And the drama, I no longer have a beep or visual access to the bios like the last time ....

Could someone help me diagnose the problem because if I still have to reinvest in it I would like it to work and not be afraid that it will destroy me again a motherboard ....

Reply 1 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried clearing the CMOS thru the CLR_CMOS jumper ? Unplug the computer from wall and put a jumper on those two pins for a few seconds. Pull jumper, plug in and see if it powers up.
The jumper is near the battery, between FUSB_1 header and PCI1 slot according to the manual on page 7 and explained on page 31. https://download1.gigabyte.com/Files/Manual/m … ma770-ds3-e.pdf

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 13, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I have already tried and unfortunately it does not work.

I already have them the same problem with a motherboard of the same model a few weeks ago.

I would really like to understand where this problem comes from, because it gives me 2 death cards ....

I also checked the battery and it had to be changed.
But that did not solve the problem

Reply 3 of 13, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Might be a bad RAM module, are there any beeping sound when starting system? as sugessted remove battery for 30min and in this time clear cmos. then unplug everything from motherboard (from PSU power to frontpanel , ram, CPU , GPU, HDD ... everithing). Then install CPU only, PSU and power & reset butons and front LED. after you done this start your system. If there's no beep error due to no RAM installed it's most likely something is wrong with motherboard. If you do get "no RAM" beep error then insert one one bank of RAM only and start sys again. If it doas not start try RAM in other ram slot.( all 4 of them), if still no start try diferent RAM again single slot firts..

Reply 4 of 13, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No there is no beep and I have already unplugged all except the processor and its fan. It does not make the error beep regarding RAM memory.

I had exactly the same last time and I would like to find the origin of the problem just not to buy a 3rd motherboard which will die again .....

I'm gonna leave it all without food until tomorrow morning and I'll try it all.

Reply 5 of 13, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

do you have a spare CPU to try just to chek if it's not CPU's fault? BTW do CPU/chasis fans run when starting sys? Can you check your PSU if it's delivering correct voltages? Most of motherboards deaths are caused by PSU problems. Since if i read correctly you used two different PSU is there a chanse of electric surge in your power grid?
In general dying CPU cant kill motherboard however faulty motherboard can kill CPU. Also non BIOS supported CPU that otherwise fit in to the socket will not kill the mobo.

Your motherboard has a dual bios, try to boot it from backup bios. here's the link how to https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2016/07/ … board-bios.html

Reply 6 of 13, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize in advance for the translation.
I hope it will be understandable.

You should know that my previous motherboard was an identical model to the current one.
I had decided to upgrade the CPU and I had put a 120w amd phenom2 4x 940. At that time I had a 230w power supply.
When I post my problem on another forum, a guy got an explanation of the plausible cause.
This would have been due to the power supply too low for this processor and it claimed that my motherboard was not compatible with 120w processors.

Following this problem, I decided to buy the same motherboard, a 550w power supply and to put back my old cpu (phenom 3x 8450 95w).
The current power supply is therefore new and the cpu seems to me to be also to be avoided since the last time it is to go with the phenom2 4x 940.
However I still have it and can still try with this one.

Regarding my electrical voltage I cannot say that I have other electrical equipment including other computers, cathode ray TVs and old consoles.
I have never had a problem with them until now.

When I start the computer I don't have access to the bios but everything seems to be working.
The fans are running, the processor heats up, so does the ram memory and if I put a graphics card on the pci-e port it also heats up.

and this on the 2 motherboard

Reply 7 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That 35€ PSU seems better that what I expected it to be and may actually be reasonable for that price as long as you don't expect it to actually deliver 500W with voltages and ripple staying within ATX spec . That being said, it does not mean the OP's unit is working as it should. Testing with known working PSU would help in the elimination process .

See here for some observations, measurements and opinions from someone who definitely knows more about this stuff than I do .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpag-FUrrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTwuWVJSa8

Reply 8 of 13, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I took it because it is still referenced with 80Plus 230V EU Bronze Certified.

It seemed to me to be good value for money and a good opportunity for a casual computer.

Thank you for your information I still have my old 230w power supply I will also test it to see if it was the cause of the first murder.

Reply 9 of 13, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forgot to specify that the computer is to freeze for the first motherboard when I consulted a web page and this time, when loading win xp (at the loading logo).

It was therefore not during an activity that required a lot of power.

Reply 10 of 13, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Checked CPU support for your motherboard and indeed it does not support Phenom II 940. Incidentally it's listed that Phenom X3 8450 is supported since BIOS update F7. Do you by any chance know what BIOS version you have installed?

Did you try to start the system with backup BIOS as per instructions on this blog https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2016/07/ … board-bios.html ?
I was in a similar situation on one of my Socket 775 boards after failed overclock. Also did not want to start with default settings after BIOS reset and I thought I killed the motherboard with CPU overclock since CPU and other components worked on another Socket 775. After a week or so of research I stumbled on info that suggested booting with backup BIOS.
For me shutting down PSU and then pressing power and reset button at the same time for 10 seconds and then release Power/Reset and engage PSU worked for motherboard to kick in and start on backup BIOS. After successful start I entered BIOS normally and was able to change settings as wished. If Power/Reset method fails you can try shorting 1 & 6 pin on main BIOS chip for backup BIOS to kick in.

One more thought, since you have a new PSU, and CPU that should work on motherboard, how about your GPU? From what you are listing it might well be a faulty GPU and not your motherboard at all.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-06-08, 00:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 13, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have installed the F7 version which is the last update apart from the beta version.

I would like to point out that I have never overclocked the 2 motherboards and that only the first one had the phenom2 x4 940 processor on it.

My computer has always been under my phenom x3 8450 and I have never had a problem with it.

This is not the GPU as it works fine on other computers and I have tested with other GPUs on the motherboard.
And if it was the GPU I will still have my beeps.

I would actually like to try the method to use the 2nd bios but first it seems important to know where the problem comes from.
Because here we are talking about 2 motherboards that have exactly the same concerns, and having them resuscitated to have the same problem again within a few days is of no use.

I also managed to have my 2nd motherboard in new. One person still had a box that was never opened and therefore never used.

And the story of the Ga Ma770 Ds3 is quite strange.

Gygabyte had at the time promoted by saying that amd phenom2 would be compatible, so many people have ordered this card saying that it will last over time.
Gygabite to erase all traces of its compatibility (at least in Europe). And was to the point of saying that it had never been announced.
Many people still use phenom2 on it and have no worries. Some even go so far as to say that it is a simple marketing stunt by Gigabyte in order to buy new cards.

Reply 12 of 13, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

from what can be read on the Net there was a plan for revision of the motherboard from AM2+ to AM3 socket and thus additional CPU support. This has never happened though I guess since with Gigabyte's already big motherboard lineup there's no need for a AM3 version of this motherboard.

If I were you I would try with backup BIOS and see if you can get it working. If it starts then I'm sure it's a hardware related problem from anything you have connected to the board.
SO next step would be search for faulty part through elimination. RAM, HDD, GPU, front I/O can all have underlined and hidden problems that deteriorate in time and can cause problems you experience.
My bet would be either that one or more of your RAM modules is having problems, or your GPU. Both of these components can work just fine 24/7 with hidden faults if they are not stressed to the limit when they crash the system and can even corrupt BIOS in the process.
Also "dirty" pins and connectors on any of hardware can cause similar symptoms and can be easy fixed by cleaning all contacts with denatured alcohol.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-06-08, 00:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 13, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, I will do that.

On the other hand we can already remove the gpu, and the ram.

The GPU was tested on 3D mark 2006 in repetition and had no sign of failure and the ram was analyzed on linux before I had the problem.

I have 2 new 120 GB ssd and my old 400 GB hdd, I can already run a history analysis to see if it comes from them.