VOGONS

Bootdisk for 286 640k ram

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, it's you again, sir. By coincidence, I'm also a registered user over there.

Anyway, I didn't mean to criticize the forum people over there at any time.

It's just that the categories, to my understanding, give a false impression.

Of course, I understand the idea behind these groups, though.

They were put together like that because they were both 16-Bit and both made by IBM.
Compaq, a clone maker, started making 386 AT PCs first.

On the other hand, it's pretty inconsequent. IBM also had its PS/2 line, with 8086-286-386-486 CPUs, which wasn't exactly AT compatible.

The usual 286 PCs were AT compatibles, just like 386/486. And, to some extent, the early 586 PCs too that predate ATX.

For newbies, that didn't were PC users back then, this must look like a 286 PC is just a fast IBM PC.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You deffentately don't know what you are on about jo22. You have been corrected a number of times but have refused to to admit. Stick to what you are use to please VMs. Your memory is broken.

You obviously haven't posted much at vcef 🤣. I wonder why?

If you look very very carefully 286 systems are in the 16-bit x86 cpu forum. 386s-486s the 32-bit x86 cpu forum.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-09, 20:01:

You deffentately don't know what you are on about jo22. You have been corrected a number of times but have refused to to admit. Stick to what you are use to please VMs. Your memory is broken.

Sir, I don't know what your problem with me is.
Also, I'm always willing to correct my mistakes.
However, I'm only able to succeed in doing so if others help me and tell me which mistakes I made.
Sadly, you're none of them. I sometimes wonder what's wrong with you.

You obviously haven't posted much at vcef 🤣. I wonder why?

Because I do respect other people. Even you, sir.
I do not post on vcfed.org in a casual fashion, that's true.
Only if there's an interesting topic and inly if I have something meaningful to contribute.

If you look very very carefully 286 systems are in the 16-bit x86 forum. 386s-486s the 32-bit x86 cpu forum.

That's.. exactly what I wrote. The point was that sticking the 286 in the same category as the IBM PC give's a false impression.
The 286 PC is an AT class PC. The 808x PC isn't - it's an XT class PC.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OMG!!! 🤣

Reply 24 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a catagoration problem with 286s over at at vcfed I respectfully suggest you create a thread over at vcfed about it. Instead of bitching here on Vogons and just creating white noice.

I have no issue with you personally just some of the obviously complete rubbish you post here.

I has to be correct so other vogons member aren't confused.

I'd expect the same thing to happen to me when I make an error.

Reply 25 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-06-06, 08:20:

awesome thanks guys

Any luck ?

Agree ! problems at that forum should be discussed at that forum (but will most likely get unanswered or the user banned just for commenting, unlike here. )

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 26 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-06-10, 01:34:
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-06-06, 08:20:

awesome thanks guys

Any luck ?

Agree ! problems at that forum should be discussed at that forum (but will most likely get unanswered or the user banned just for commenting, unlike here. )

Those categories have been like that for decades. Jo22 in the ONLY person I've ever seen who has made a remark like that. The rest of us seem to have figured it out and quite happy with the arrangement and have/will continue to contribute to it..

Pentium 1s took forever to be excepted then Vogons came along and basically fill that gap quite well.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-10, 02:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-06-10, 01:59:
Horun wrote on 2021-06-10, 01:34:

(but will most likely get unanswered or the user banned just for commenting, unlike here. )

So true ‼

I guess that's right, I'm afraid. 😔

I'd like to apologize at this point. 🙇

I think I should have stopped going off-topic several posts ago.

It just felt that it was necessary to explain my point-of-view, because it seemed I was being misunderstood.

I also like say that I do hold vcfed in high regards. That's why I post so seldomly there.

It's merely the category, which I mentioned as an example.

I'm not upset in any way about this, also.
It's no big deal, after all. Just was a popular example.

All in all, I felt that I should share my memories.
Because, history is being re-shaped in these days. Not exactly by us users, but companies and news agencies also.

Let's just look at all the rose-coloured retro articles in the media when it comes to C64, NES etc.

They contain quite some stereotypes or idealized/stylized views on vintage computers.

The reality was much more diverse, I think.
Kids not only played games, for example. They also tried making them.

And the Commodores were also used for work beyond managing cooking recipes. 😉
Some people used them to control toy trains, to automate their homes. Or dialed into BBSes.
Or ran satellite trackers on them.

//My video channel//

Reply 29 of 29, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure what really happened there! tried to read through all those posts but could not make much sense of what you guys were talking about.. anyway for everyone info i ended up installing ms dos 6.22 onto a floppy and that works great as a boot disk im very happy with it. hopefully my xt-ide card will arrive soon so i can get some more games running as when i had the mfm hd in the pc keen4 would run fine on 640k of ram for some reason now it wont run of a floppy i guess this is cause the boot disk is taking up some of the ram.
anyway all sorted thanks all