Common searches

Long time

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a long, long, long time since I was last on here. I was browsing, and found some old posts made by myself in.....(drum roll) 2011.
I doubt anyone remembers me!

Reply 1 of 8, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember something someone once posted on here about the stages of being a retro PC collector. You get to the point where you pull something out of the closet, fire it up for a while for the nostalgia trip. Then you realize you really can't do anything with it and put it back in the closet for six months. After a few iterations of that, the next stop is the trash can. I guess that's me. Sigh.

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote on 2021-06-10, 23:45:

I remember something someone once posted on here about the stages of being a retro PC collector. You get to the point where you pull something out of the closet, fire it up for a while for the nostalgia trip. Then you realize you really can't do anything with it and put it back in the closet for six months. After a few iterations of that, the next stop is the trash can. I guess that's me. Sigh.

That's when you stick it up on eBay or similar and make a small fortune with how the retro/video market is right now.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote on 2021-06-10, 23:45:

I guess that's the other side of the coin.
Most people that remain here are bitten by the bug and end up collecting even more PC's.
Of course this hobby isn't for everyone (no hobby is) so the people that lose interest simply stop posting here.

On the plus side prices for retro hardware are only going up, so if it really isn't for you at least you should be able to make a couple of bucks out of it

Reply 4 of 8, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Y'all got a point there. It's probably been at least five years since my last build. The last was an Athlon XP running Win XP. Actually I sold out and finally just bought a computer.
BUT from time to time I browse ebay and yes the prices have become insane. Used to be you could get good socket 7 or 370 stuff for maybe $50 ish....no more!

Reply 7 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah or an early ATX case at least. They are very rare in my area. Only ones I like that were available which are not pick ups were complete systems. I really don't need more motherboards unless they are SS7 (as a backup/upgrade).

Problem is that I really don't have time to drive 200km for a computer case with family life and full time job. 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-06-11, 20:45. Edited 1 time in total.