VOGONS

Windows 7 Retro?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 129, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 7 will become retro after 2023. That's when Microsoft will finally pull the lever for all NT 6.x family of OS. Software support will drop rapidly after that point and you won't be able to use Windows 7/8 as a daily driver.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 41 of 129, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-09, 20:25:

Windows 7 will become retro after 2023. That's when Microsoft will finally pull the lever for all NT 6.x family of OS. Software support will drop rapidly after that point and you won't be able to use Windows 7/8 as a daily driver.

So excitededed about Y2K23!!!

excited.gif
Filename
excited.gif
File size
945.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 42 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2021-06-09, 23:44:

So excitededed about Y2K23!!!

excited.gif

I LOVED mONKEY bOY.

The Serpent Rider must be a psychic if he knows what members are going to use there systems for 2 years time.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 43 of 129, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nd22 wrote on 2021-06-09, 10:43:

I consider Windows 5.X and any previous version to be retro as it is very difficult to be used on the modern web but 6.X and later are not retro even if for example 7 is out of support it still can be used on the modern web!

You can still do 99 % of this "modern web" stuff on WinXP, partially even on Win2k...depends on the browser.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 44 of 129, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

The Serpent Rider must be a psychic

Of course!

Although the writing is on the wall at this point. Windows 8.1 support will be dropped in 2023, which is the last NT 6.x OS, which is also tied to extended support for Windows 7. So you can expect end of support for Steam, most popular browsers (already confirmed by Google), hardware drivers and editing software.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-06-10, 06:20. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 45 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-10, 06:15:
Caluser2000 wrote:

The Serpent Rider must be a psychic

Of course!

Although the writing is on the wall at this point. Windows 8.1 support will be dropped in 2023, which is the last NT 6.x OS, which is also tied to extended support for Windows 7. So you can expect end of support for Steam, most popular browsers, drivers and editing software.

I you are going to quote me quote the WHOLE sentence thank you. Here's a reminder:

"The Serpent Rider must be a psychic if he knows what members are going to use there systems for 2 years time."

Reply 46 of 129, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if he knows what members are going to use there systems for 2 years time.

Of course I know that too - it's WIndows 98 SE / Windows 2000 =P

Reply 47 of 129, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, I find it funny how regressive modern technology has gotten compared to older, yet still perfectly usable tech. Recently, my 2019 iPad 6th gen has started struggling at loading my most-used websites left and right, regardless of the browser that I'm using (I've used Safari, Chrome, and Firefox), yet my 2012 Dell Core i3 desktop running Windows 7 with Firefox 78.11.0esr has no problems at browsing those same sites, despite being out of support by Microsoft. Go figure.

At this point, I'm considering ditching the iPad in favor of an older Windows/Linux 2-in-1 laptop if this keeps up.

Reply 48 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know what you mean. This 32-bit 3.2Ghz P4 browses the internet fine with Firefox esr in Mint Linux Debian Edition 4 and updated on a regular basis. Same goes for my 2011 HP/Compaq laptop which flies loading pages. Certainly faster than my wife's recent Windows 10 laptop from HP.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-17, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 129, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By that point, I'll be exclusively using Linux as a daily driver and reserve Windows for legacy purposes only (i.e. on offline computers or in virtual machines for certain software usage). I just cannot stand Windows 10. The last time I used it, it bugged me monthly to set up a Micro$oft account, which I refuse to do. Amazingly nobody has managed to find a way to permanently get rid of that reminder without signing up for an M$ account, and there are other reasons why I hate Windows 10. So the maximum Windows version I will ever use is Windows 8.1 with Classic/Open Shell (maybe Windows 10 1809 LTSC at a push).

As for macOS, despite it's better 3rd party support, it's apparently out of the question for me since modern Apple products have been problematic at best for me (as already proven by my last post) and Hackintoshes will no longer be an option with the ARM transition.

Admittedly, I'm certain that there will be people dedicated to keeping Windows 7 alive for years to come. We've already seen this happen to prior Windows versions with the Windows 2000 BWC enhanced kernel, hacks to allow XP to run Vista/7 applications, the MyPal web browser for Windows XP, and more recently hacks to allow Vista to run 7 applications. I'm sure after we get to the point where most software will be Windows 10-only, there will be hacks to allow Windows 7 to run Win32 applications that require Windows 8/10 (UWP applications will likely be out of the question, but I generally don't touch those anyway). Also, expect a fan-made Windows 7-compatible web browser forked from something like Pale Moon or Firefox to be a thing after mainstream browsers cut support for it.

Reply 50 of 129, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-07, 18:16:
creepingnet wrote on 2021-06-07, 18:05:

I don't see Windows 7 as vintage yet. Going by the yardstick of old vehicles - Windows 7 is like that 2008 model that still runs and drives around town just fine, but does not have a backup camera or heated seats. I just put it in the "old" category right now. And just like anything else old, the safety element is a matter of common sense moreso than some modern antivirus whatzit protecting you.

XP is just starting it's climb into "Vintage-hood".

To me, Vintage Windows would be the 9x series and 2000 Profesisonal on back. XP is still sort of a "welfare" O/S that's a good cheap solution with a lot of problems that still works but can be a bit of a pain for current-day use.

I like that description very much. Do you mind if I steal it?

Don't mind, the more the merrier.

For me, I'm toying with building out a Windows 7 machine again because I Find it the least fiddly when it comes to USB-connecting old hard drives. I get Linux to do it okay-ish but Windows 7 would read anything, even if it had a DDO on it somehow.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 51 of 129, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Admittedly, I'm certain that there will be people dedicated to keeping Windows 7 alive for years to come.

Out of all of them, Win7 probably will be on the second place after WinXP, in terms of community support. You can't beat seemingly fanatical devotion to XP. Vista extended kernel is more of a curiousity, which won't take off into something really usable. Not sure about Windows 8.1 destiny. Maybe some Renaissance in geek community as last "true" Microsoft OS?

Reply 52 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-11, 07:32:

Admittedly, I'm certain that there will be people dedicated to keeping Windows 7 alive for years to come.

Out of all of them, Win7 probably will be on the second place after WinXP, in terms of community support. You can't beat seemingly fanatical devotion to XP. Vista extended kernel is more of a curiousity, which won't take off into something really usable. Not sure about Windows 8.1 destiny. Maybe some Renaissance in geek community as last "true" Microsoft OS?

Nah that is MS Dos/Windows 3.1...

Reply 53 of 129, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-10, 08:57:

I know what you mean. This 32-bit 3.2Ghz P4 browses the internet fine with Firefox esr in Mint Linux Debian Edition 4 and updated on a regular bases. Same goes for my 2011 HP/Compaq laptop which flies loading pages. Certainly faster than my wife's recent Windows 10 laptop from HP.

Very much depends on what your browsing habits are. I'm sure YouTube and some more JavaScript heavy sites now absolutely crawl on a P4. Sadly a lot of these libraries that are now used haven't really improved all that much for the user experience, but are bogging down websites. I remember as late as 2008~2009 I could browse most of the web pretty comfortably on a Pentium 3!

Reply 54 of 129, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, this reminds me of something.
The NT kernal version number was changed from 6.4 to 10.x within a short time
a few years ago for political/marketing reasons.
Microsoft argued that changing it to 10.x would better reflect the relationship with Win 10, AFAIK.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-nt-ker … internal-builds

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 55 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RichB93 wrote on 2021-06-11, 08:42:

I know what you mean. This 32-bit 3.2Ghz P4 browses the internet fine with Firefox esr in Mint Linux Debian Edition 4 and updated on a regular bases. Same goes for my 2011 HP/Compaq laptop which flies loading pages. Certainly faster than my wife's recent Windows 10 laptop from HP.

Very much depends on what your browsing habits are. I'm sure YouTube and some more JavaScript heavy sites now absolutely crawl on a P4. Sadly a lot of these libraries that are now used haven't really improved all that much for the user experience, but are bogging down websites. I remember as late as 2008~2009 I could browse most of the web pretty comfortably on a Pentium 3!

No they don't in fact. Nor did that on may old 2.6Ghz Caleron running CrunchBang Linux. Maybe it's a MS Windows thing?

Reply 56 of 129, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-11, 09:16:
Hi, this reminds me of something. The NT kernal version number was changed from 6.4 to 10.x within a short time a few years ago […]
Show full quote

Hi, this reminds me of something.
The NT kernal version number was changed from 6.4 to 10.x within a short time
a few years ago for political/marketing reasons.
Microsoft argued that changing it to 10.x would better reflect the relationship with Win 10, AFAIK.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-nt-ker … internal-builds

Microsoft numbering scheme has been becoming more and more of a joke over the years.
Win7 and 8 are actually 6.x but at least the version numbers did continue to progress logically till Win10

Ok now lets go from Windows 8 to 10 and while we've forgot how to count lets skip a few version numbers to 10 as well, no even better 15!

Office is stuck at version 16 since 2016

And Xbox One? awesome Idea? lets call our 3rd gen console the same name that people are using for the original console after we released the 360

Reply 57 of 129, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-11, 09:22:
RichB93 wrote on 2021-06-11, 08:42:

No they don't in fact. Nor did that on may old 2.6Ghz Caleron running CrunchBang Linux. Maybe it's a MS Windows thing?

I don't believe it's Windows at fault, although I've never bothered using Linux for any extended length of time as a desktop OS as it lacks so many things I need. Works great for some things though. Try using the modern reddit experience (shudder), or playing a video from a multimedia heavy site.

Reply 58 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Riddit loads no problem at all. I frequent r/retobattlestations and a few others quite often.

I've tried Windows 10 on my wife's laptop an I just don't like. It just gets in my. Haven't needed it since about 2016. Update are a pain becauce the using has to wait until they are done before getting access to the machine back. And it has to reboot when finished. On this system linux updates are done in the background.The only time its needed to boot after an update is for kernal or grub changes.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-11, 16:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 129, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can browse fine on an Atom N270, IDK what ppl are doing, need your 7 task bars and Bonzai Buddy or something?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.