VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this computer about 5 years ago, and it featured an Intel Atom with 2Gb RAM, 32GB eMMC disk and came with Windows 8.1 x64.

After a while, it was updated to Windows 10 x64 when it could be done free of charge. It was always sluggish (even with Windows 8.1), and I was thinking about demoting it to a Windows 10 x86. Now, I have three issues (and I guess I'm going to find more):

Activation key:
I didn't tried to connect it to a network to activate Windows 10, but can I use its prior 64 bits key on a fresh 32 bits installation?

Secure boot:
My laptop has no DVD driver, so I've tried to install it using a pendrive. The laptop came with secure boot enabled, so I needed to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot to boot from pendrive and install Windows 10. The problem is that Windows won't boot in secure mode after installed, and the laptop has a nasty habit of reverting to secure boot every time the battery is depleted.

The install pendrive was created using Windows 10 media creator, using only the 32 bits version (to stop Windows from installing the 64 bits version).

How can I get that pendrive to boot from secure mode? If it's not possible, how can I enable Windows to boot from secure mode after installing?

Touchpad not working:
This is the main problem. In this laptop, the touchpad seems to be connected via GPIO or I2C to the processor and needs a custom driver from HP (sp69101). Windows install their own drivers, so the touchpad is never recognized (a recurrent issue every time a service pack/new edition is applied), and HP only distributes 64 bit versions of this drivers.

Microsoft (or Intel) call this driver "Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor Serial IO (SIO) - I2C Port - 0F41" and has the hardware ID ACPI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F41. When properly installed (on x64 editions), is changed to "Serial I2C". The driver files are iaioi2ce.inf, .cat and .sys.

Every other driver on the laptop has 32 bit version or can be downloaded from Intel or the original hardware manufacturer, but this one seems to be a customized version of Intel driver.

Does anybody knows how can I get a 32 bit version of this driver?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 1, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would suggest that Windows 10 32-bit isn't going to perform any better than the x64 version. I personally have a Lenovo laptop/netbook with a similarly weak CPU (AMD E-350) and Windows 10 x64 (free upgrade from Windows 7 x64). It is borderline unusable because of high CPU utilization, primarily due to Windows 10 Automatic Updates, Windows Defender, and other background processes. I upgraded my RAM to 6GB and even replaced the hard drive with an SSD, and because the CPU is the bottleneck there was negligible improvement.

IMO Windows 10 really isn't suited for any computer without multiple decent performing cores. Intel Atom and AMD cat processors just don't cut it.

I currently dual boot this netbook with Windows 10 x64 + Linux Mint x64. Linux performs acceptably and that is the OS I use 90% of the time on this PC.

I don't have much experience with Secure Boot but supposedly certain Ubuntu distributions of Linux (eg Mint) might be allowed to install/boot with Secure Boot enabled. Most tutorials suggest leaving Secure Boot disabled but I agree your battery depletion issue would make it quite annoying to routinely dive back into the UEFI BIOS to keep disabling it.