VOGONS

First post, by Gurfaild

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

This is my current XP/98SE build. I hope it will be fast enough for all Windows games that I can't get to run on my "modern" build while also being somewhat compatible with late DOS stuff:

20210607_180206.jpg
Filename
20210607_180206.jpg
File size
665.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
HWINFO_flashed.PNG
Filename
HWINFO_flashed.PNG
File size
35.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
  • Pentium M 770 (Dothan, 2.13 GHz, FSB533)
  • IBASE MB-892 (Intel 855GME with ISA and SATA)
  • Nvidia Quadro FX 3000, BIOS modded to GeForce FX 5900
  • 1024 MB + 512 MB DDR333, single channel
  • 2x 120 GB SATA SSDs (one for XP, one for 98SE) in a hot-swap bay
  • IDE DVD-ROM drive
  • 1.44 MB FDD
  • SB Audigy 2 ZS
  • Lite-On PS-5281-7VW power supply (250W)

Windows XP and 98SE work fine. I tried installing Windows 8.1 to see if I could get a version of Windows to work that still gets security updates, but the video drivers crashed every few minutes.

For Windows 98SE I had to install PATCHMEM. This seems to work fine, but only reports 1022 MB RAM in System Properties. I also installed the SB16 emulation drivers, but I still might install an actual ISA sound card. I don't know which model would work alongside the Audigy - I'm thinking of using something with a YMF719, but I don't know if that's feasible. According to what I've found on the internet, this board should support ISA DMA, but it's not mentioned in the manual.

It actually took me about two months to get this computer working - when I first got it, I was using a PSU that destroyed the MOSFETs in the CPU VRM whenever I switched it on (but it worked fine with other boards) and it took me quite an embarrassingly long time to try another power supply. Later I found that only one of my 1 GB DIMMs worked - the other caused the PC to hang randomly, so I replaced it with a 512 MB one.

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange, I thought with patchmem System properties showed the full amount, I may be wrong as my overkill build is packed away.
Doesn't matter, I suspect like you the excess ram is for XP and the patch is more to simply let 98 work.

Win98 side I think its a good solid build.
XP the graphics card may hold you back. GTA SA with all graphic drivers enhancements turned up is my benchmark. In saying that I would still prioritise 9x compatibility over XP performance.
I wouldn't have bothered with Win8, its a retro box, it's got no need to surf the web. If you want to copy files across the network but worried it having an internet connection just disable/unplug the cable when not using it. (I don't bother)

Not sure about what the best ISA sound card is in such a modern rig , but agree be a shame not to use it.