VOGONS

First post, by blaudrachen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in 2015 the following photo was posted and it is of the case design I had as a child. I am looking to dredge up some nostalgia but cannot seem to find this case or any information on it other than this one photo. I am wondering if any of you had/have one of these cases and could give me more information.

NBOkdzY.jpg

Info I currently have

• Commonly badged with Quantex Logo as that company used this case a lot
  • The above image
  • Mine was damaged beyond repair and was sent to a recycler years ago so is not salvageable.
  • LGR uses the same case for his woodgrain 486

Reply 1 of 11, by Rabbot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blaudrachen wrote on 2020-08-04, 13:04:
Back in 2015 the following photo was posted and it is of the case design I had as a child. I am looking to dredge up some nostal […]
Show full quote

Back in 2015 the following photo was posted and it is of the case design I had as a child. I am looking to dredge up some nostalgia but cannot seem to find this case or any information on it other than this one photo. I am wondering if any of you had/have one of these cases and could give me more information.

NBOkdzY.jpg

Info I currently have

• Commonly badged with Quantex Logo as that company used this case a lot
  • The above image
  • Mine was damaged beyond repair and was sent to a recycler years ago so is not salvageable.
  • LGR uses the same case for his woodgrain 486

I have been looking for the same case, for the same reason. I actually found this post by taking a screenshot of LGR and doing an image search haha..

Unfortunately I don't have any info, other than I believe my parents bought their pc At a Bj's in New Hampshire. I'll post back if I find anything.

Reply 2 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck. Unless somebody has one on hand with the original box, the brand / model is probably lost to time.

Most of these generic cases were never really branded even when sold new.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 11, by l.neidlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow this is dredging up an old thread, but I found it doing a search for a Quantex 486dx after watching a recent LGR video. The picture in the OP was my picture! It's a Pionex system, which was apparently a child company of Quantex. I have only ever seen this case used by Quantex and Pionex. I used to have a Pentium powered Quantex system in this same case, and it was lost to time as well. I found these two Pionex systems on eBay and picked them up for the nostalgia. Quantex/Pionex probably did not build the case themselves, they were probably built by one of the seemingly hundreds of Taiwanese companies back then building generic beige boxes, but I believe they were their own design.

Reply 4 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think your best bet with these types of cases that were sold by regional PC builders, is to haunt the classified ads in the regions they were sold in, maybe even place wanted ads in such classifieds.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 11, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FiIosofia wrote on 2021-08-04, 11:37:

Looks like LGR woodgrain 486.
Sometimes the maker of the case also makes the case fan and even the psu.

Ahh, I'm 48 minutes too late. 😅
https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/75 … 449033084964864

Reply 7 of 11, by FiIosofia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2021-08-04, 12:25:
FiIosofia wrote on 2021-08-04, 11:37:

Looks like LGR woodgrain 486.
Sometimes the maker of the case also makes the case fan and even the psu.

Ahh, I'm 48 minutes too late. 😅
https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/75 … 449033084964864

🤣
also, LGR confirms Quantex an Pionex on his latest blerb.

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 8 of 11, by blaudrachen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
l.neidlinger wrote on 2021-08-03, 23:34:

Wow this is dredging up an old thread, but I found it doing a search for a Quantex 486dx after watching a recent LGR video. The picture in the OP was my picture! It's a Pionex system, which was apparently a child company of Quantex. I have only ever seen this case used by Quantex and Pionex. I used to have a Pentium powered Quantex system in this same case, and it was lost to time as well. I found these two Pionex systems on eBay and picked them up for the nostalgia. Quantex/Pionex probably did not build the case themselves, they were probably built by one of the seemingly hundreds of Taiwanese companies back then building generic beige boxes, but I believe they were their own design.

Holy crap I have never been so thankful for a Necro post. You reinvigorated this thread and helped in my search. Thank you so much. I am still looking for the case, but I have more information now to search with.

Reply 9 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

Just happened to come across this thread looking for more information on Quantex. As it so happens I have this exact case and it is (or was) a Quantex "Pro Series" model. I don't recall what the original configuration was, but I do remember that it had a Biostar MB-8433UUD-A motherboard, Intel 486DX 33MHz, 8MB RAM, no HDD and a 3.5 1.44MB floppy drive. I've attached some shots of the case for further identification.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote on 2021-11-08, 04:15:

Hi guys,

Just happened to come across this thread looking for more information on Quantex. As it so happens I have this exact case and it is (or was) a Quantex "Pro Series" model. I don't recall what the original configuration was, but I do remember that it had a Biostar MB-8433UUD-A motherboard, Intel 486DX 33MHz, 8MB RAM, no HDD and a 3.5 1.44MB floppy drive. I've attached some shots of the case for further identification.

They advertised a lot in the 90s magazines. Have a look at:
https://books.google.com/books?id=GL59pngdbfQC&pg=PA311
https://books.google.com/books?id=QVZ3k_kTQ-oC&pg=PA228

An MB-8433UUD-A was a very late PCI 486 board, it would be odd to pair it with a DX-33 rather than a DX4 or Am5x86.

Reply 11 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-11-08, 04:35:

An MB-8433UUD-A was a very late PCI 486 board, it would be odd to pair it with a DX-33 rather than a DX4 or Am5x86.

You're right. Correction - It was the 1433UIV, not 8433UUD.