VOGONS

First post, by Jerry79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm having an issue with an Asus V8460 Ultra. That's an Geforce4 Ti 4600 AGP.

It shows glitches on the Desktop under special circumstances. It's not the green/red artifacting.
Tested under win7(pro-32) and winxp(pro-32) the first glitch appears on Windows Start-screen in Form of an horizontal gray line about 2cm thick. Location of the line differs every time it appears and Duration is only a split second.
I can provoke the glitch by accessing the nvidia quick-panel or the driver settings. I tested the original Asus Driver and the oldest and newest nvidia Drivers i could find. The Glitch is far more prevalent on XP where it sometimes glitches the lower half of the screen (no gray bar in this case...more like a distortion).
I haven't noticed glitching under benchmarks , games or Bios so far. I tested dvi and vga and two different LDC-Monitors with same result.
The Card itself is looking good with stock cooler and no discolored traces from overclocking.

gpu dying ; ram faulty; driver issue?

So my question is if this sounds familiar to anyone and if someone has a solution.

Reply 2 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly, ram issue. I had same thing on a ET4000 w32p, discovered when I was scrolling down long bookmarks in firefox back in the days where PII or athlon ruled the roost, not bothered to hunt down one by one and replace, so I reaped all and put in all same ram from one junked computer.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 11, by Jerry79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The picture quality is pretty bad.
Took a video and screen-captured the stopped footage on PC. But the Giltch is to fast to get it otherwise (i have no direct capture capabilities).
Two pictures from the XP-footage and two from my unactivated win7 test system.
The transparency is not present in reality, i guess the video-software interpolates the frames.

Thanks for your input so far 👍

Attachments

• Vogons_04.JPG
    Filename
    Vogons_04.JPG
    File size
    101.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Vogons_03.JPG
    Filename
    Vogons_03.JPG
    File size
    97.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Vogons_02.JPG
    Filename
    Vogons_02.JPG
    File size
    48.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Vogons_01.JPG
    Filename
    Vogons_01.JPG
    File size
    50.49 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 11, by Jerry79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-12, 19:18:

If you do a screen shot does it show up? Or just when you take a picture of the screen?

No, the screenshot has nothing to do with it.
I took a video with my phone while provoking the Glitch by clicking on the quick-panel nvidia driver icon and/or the geforce settings.
The screenshots are essential still-frames from this video.

Reply 6 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand that the pictures above are stills from your video. I was asking if you took a screenshot from with in windows if the issue is captured. After seeing your pictures I've had 3 monitors over the years fail on me and the picture would look just like that.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jerry79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-12, 23:58:

I understand that the pictures above are stills from your video. I was asking if you took a screenshot from with in windows if the issue is captured. After seeing your pictures I've had 3 monitors over the years fail on me and the picture would look just like that.

I misunderstood your question.
I tried a direct screen-capture but seemingly could not get the timing right to catch it.
To eliminate the possibility of e screen failure i tested multiple (4) monitors (the 16:9 from the pictures and tree different 4:3) and got the same result.

I think pentiumspeed is right with the failing memory theory.

It's a shame...really nice card

Reply 10 of 11, by Jerry79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@pentiumspeed
It looks like i can't reply to your message for some reason but thanks for the offer to repair the Card.
This Card is sadly not my own and i told the Owner of the possibility to repair but he was put off buy shipment to Canada and the hassle.
So It will remain just a collection piece as it is. But even with this defect i think he will take good care.