VOGONS

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i went here https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/B … Pentiu-201.html and checked how to set the jumpers for the CPU buuuut it doesn't work at the right frequency, the PCI runs too hot and the same goes for the mosfet which gets incredibly hot in no time.

Any help is appreciated.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 1 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CPU voltage selection on stason only shows 3.4V and 3.5V.
What did you set the CPU core voltage to?

Also could you post pictures of the board and the jumpers you set so people can look for issues themselves?

And what do you mean by 'the PCI gets too hot'? Did you mean the CPU?

Reply 2 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-12, 10:52:
CPU voltage selection on stason only shows 3.4V and 3.5V. What did you set the CPU core voltage to? […]
Show full quote

CPU voltage selection on stason only shows 3.4V and 3.5V.
What did you set the CPU core voltage to?

Also could you post pictures of the board and the jumpers you set so people can look for issues themselves?

And what do you mean by 'the PCI gets too hot'? Did you mean the CPU?

PCI as in my gpu, the heat is abnormal

I think i mistook that 4 for a 1 but the mosfets are still too hot.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 4 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-12, 11:17:

I think JP6 is set 1-3 instead of 1-2.
Also Pentium MMX are supposed to run with 2.8V, not 3.4V. I can't say what effect the overvolt has on the voltage regulator.

I think the mmx can go up to 3.7 max but yeah i would prefer to use a lower voltage, the motherboard says that it's compatible with intel mmx though.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 5 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a chance the jumpers explained under 'CPU type selection' will turn the board into a split voltage board when set for P55C/CT (ideally set to a fixed 2.8V) so JP8 would only control I/O voltage.

Reply 6 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-12, 11:58:

There's a chance the jumpers explained under 'CPU type selection' will turn the board into a split voltage board when set for P55C/CT (ideally set to a fixed 2.8V) so JP8 would only control I/O voltage.

Makes sense but then why are all 3 mosfets running so hot ? why is the PCI gpu running so hot too ? why even though i set the JP6 pin correctly i only get 166hz ? it seems like the whole system is running at voltage too high for the components.

I would like to solve this because this is the second motherboard i'm testing for the MMX and i'm still only get issues.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 8 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-12, 12:10:

How hot are those MOSFETs anyway?
It would be normal for them to get well above 60°C which will already feel very hot to the touch.

And how hot is the GPU? Edit: And what GPU are you using?

I'm using a matrox g200, on my previous motherboard with a pentium 133 it was just warm to the touch, now it's hot but no unbearable in a short time and the cpu just doesn't want to be recognized as a 200 mmx, win95 just see the pentium as a pentium r too.

The mosfets are constantly running at a temperature of 70C

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 9 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MOSFET temp doesn't sound unreasonable for a linear converter with a 200MHz MMX. If you're worried look up the datasheet.
CPU recognition may be related to BIOS. Is there a newer BIOS avaliable for your board?
Not sure about the GPU, I haven't ever touched a running G200. If you can still touch it I don't think there's a reason to worry tbh.

Reply 10 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok leaving aside temperatures everything seems to work, in dosbench i get the results i would get from using a p 166 mmx, the only problem is that i can't set the multiplier to 3x, the cpu just doesn't want to work at 200hz.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 11 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird. Are you trying to overclock the CPU or is it a genuine 200MHz CPU?
Later Pentium MMX are multiplier locked. You can set the jumpers on the board but the signal won't be passed on to the die.

Reply 12 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-12, 21:06:

Weird. Are you trying to overclock the CPU or is it a genuine 200MHz CPU?
Later Pentium MMX are multiplier locked. You can set the jumpers on the board but the signal won't be passed on to the die.

Let me guess, this is not a 200 cpu right ?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    47.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 16 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-12, 21:47:

Weird.
I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Thank you a lot anyway, i think this cpu might have some issue, i might try a new one in the future.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 18 of 30, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I've seen the pictures but from what I see I can't tell if it's a card that supports the Pentium MMX.
The CPU appears to be a 200MMX, excluding that it is not an original, the only reason it does not go to 200 is that maybe you set the jumpers wrong.
So I would say if you can put an image of the MB, in particular I would like to see the voltage regulators mosfet area, then CPU area, then I would like to see the multiplier and FSB jumpers.
This is to understand if this MB is set correctly for the MMX, the one you had before did not support it.
If this supports it there should be no problem getting it to go to the right frequency (200).

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 19 of 30, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This information is for a slightly different Biostar VX board, but it sounds as though it would be relevant to this one, so have a look and see if your board is the same or similar enough: https://www.vobarian.com/8500tvx.html

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey