VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old Laptop (Compaq Armada E500)
Planning to run DOS games on this thing as well.
All drivers are installed, the Audio driver is some ESS device (only called ESS device manager in device manager)
I tried setting up sound in doom, only getting midi played but no sound.
Also tried Megarace 2, but the Setup can't detect any sound card at all...
Duke 3D same as Doom, only getting music to work, no sound.
Any idea how to get sound in DOS working on this thing?

I know there were some tools helping getting sound in dos games working on win98 but forgot what they were called....

Reply 1 of 8, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting the sound to work correctly in DOS can be tricky. It all depends on how the sound drivers are set up in Windows and for DOS. ESS cards often have pretty good DOS support but you have to make sure you load the DOS driver for it. From what I can gather online you're laptop has an ESS-Maestro2E. Here's a driver libary for that card.

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 019&menustate=0

Looks like there is a DOS driver in that package, so you should be able to set that up properly.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 3 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is maybe possible that this is an IRQ conflict. In my 1750 you set the sound card IRQ in bios. I saw a YouTube vid with someone with a similar problem.

Some say that the user friendly interface of the armada bios invite tampering by kids and such. Maybe this why many used armadas seem to not work. 🤣

Reply 5 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm well maybe you can set it otherwise maybe it sais something in manual. Some armadas really seem to have limited bios settings... I wonder if there is a way to get into a less limited bios. I saw a short YouTube clip of an armada where you can't even set the time in the bios, but I mean that must be possible somehow.. can you run a boot disk maybe..?