VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been testing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory with an Audigy 5/Rx card and have run into a issue. The 3D audio doesn't sound quite right. There are times when I'll rotate the camera and sound effects will seem to disappear or they will sound as if they are moving off-screen. Another instance is when pulling enemies over guard railings. As they fall, rather than hearing their screams gradually fade away, they seem to instantly step down in volume - loud, then instantly less loud, then instantly quiet rather than a gradual decrease in volume. I'm using the drivers supplied on the CD that came with the card. Any idea what might be causing this? I'm thinking the Audigy Rx is simply too new for a 2005 game.

I ordered an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty as well as an Audigy 2 ZS to see if those cards will produce better results. I downloaded Daniel_K's SB Audigy Series Support Pack 7.0, which I will also test with the Audigy Rx. Would this be recommended over the drivers in the VOGONS driver library?

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played through this game on WindowsXP + SP3 using an X-Fi Titanium PCIe SB0880 with the latest DanielK driver pack and didn't notice any EAX issues.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 2, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if what I'm hearing are EAX issues. Sounds more like a 3D audio problem. I'm using headphones and sometimes when sounds are panning from left to right or vice versa there's a jarring transition rather than a smooth one. To be honest, I'm not certain that what I'm hearing is actually a problem. Could be inherent to the game. Should be getting the X-Fi SB0886 sometime next week so I'll give it a go then.