VOGONS

PCem v17

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 146, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As someone who's dealt with severe harassment before, I don't blame Sarah for taking down everything. I would have ended up doing the same thing. (Hell, I'm considering taking down all my archived streams that have my webcam in it because of something that recently had to happen to me that didn't need to happen)

Some groups of people really shouldn't be allowed internet access ever in their lives, but I'll just leave it at that.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 41 of 146, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can’t blame her for that. Some random person here in this forum got all angry at me because a simple patch I created didn’t work for him (and I mean, several offensive posts with memes and all, some I didn’t even see as the moderators had removed them).
If stupid comments over a simple patch were enough to annoy me, I can’t fathom how frustrating would be to take this kind attitude towards a huge and complex project like PCEm.
There is a big difference between being a jerk and constructive criticism.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 42 of 146, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-06-13, 21:40:

Yeah, I believe those are called merge requests.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 43 of 146, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2021-06-13, 21:48:
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-06-13, 21:40:

Yeah, I believe those are called merge requests.

Hahaha!
Even if a person doesn’t know how to code, it’s still possible to provide constructive inputs. It just need to be done very carefully and politely.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 44 of 146, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For any open-source projects, "merge request" is a courtesy from the contributor. If they don't meet the standard practice of the project, then it is fair to say that it can simply be rejected, on any ground or even without any reasons. So if the contributor happens to be "not-so-happy" about this, then one is free to fork and maintain it where it deems fit. it is a fair game, there is nothing personal. Frowning on forks that do not contribute back into the mainline isn't really the right way to deal with GPL. I think this is a fair criticism.

Praises & criticism are just two same faces in part and parcel of lives. Intel's CEO in 2006 who won the heart of Apple Computer to use Intel's CPUs were once helmed as one of the most successful CEOs who put Intel Architecture at its height. He was also the same CEO that championed the ideal of "One Architecture" and sold StrongARM/XScale/PXA/IXP to Marvell to drive the entire company to focus on just one architecture, the x86. Today, the media humiliated the same CEO as the CEO who rejected Apple's request to build a CPU for IPhone, leaving the door wide open for Apple to collaborate with Samsung for the 1st ARM CPU used in IPhone. And Apple eventually took the matter on their own hands, the rest is history. When Apple was in its worst financial deep-shit at the brink of bankruptcy, the founder of Dell Computer, openly despised any values in it and if he would ever acquire commanding stakes in the struggling company, it made the most business sense to split it up, sold it and shut it down. Again, the rest is history.

One of the greatest values in life is to be able to fence off challenges one after another, each time rising ever stronger than before, welcoming the cheers of one's supporters while respecting the jeers of one's naysayers.

Reply 45 of 146, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-06-13, 22:56:

For any open-source projects, "merge request" is a courtesy from the contributor. If they don't meet the standard practice of the project, then it is fair to say that it can simply be rejected, on any ground or even without any reasons. So if the contributor happens to be "not-so-happy" about this, then one is free to fork and maintain it where it deems fit. it is a fair game, there is nothing personal. Frowning on forks that do not contribute back into the mainline isn't really the right way to deal with GPL. I think this is a fair criticism.

Praises & criticism are just two same faces in part and parcel of lives. Intel's CEO in 2006 who won the heart of Apple Computer to use Intel's CPUs were once helmed as one of the most successful CEOs who put Intel Architecture at its height. He was also the same CEO that championed the ideal of "One Architecture" and sold StrongARM/XScale/PXA/IXP to Marvell to drive the entire company to focus on just one architecture, the x86. Today, the media humiliated the same CEO as the CEO who rejected Apple's request to build a CPU for IPhone, leaving the door wide open for Apple to collaborate with Samsung for the 1st ARM CPU used in IPhone. And Apple eventually took the matter on their own hands, the rest is history. When Apple was in its worst financial deep-shit at the brink of bankruptcy, the founder of Dell Computer, openly despised any values in it and if he would ever acquire commanding stakes in the struggling company, it made the most business sense to split it up, sold it and shut it down. Again, the rest is history.

One of the greatest values in life is to be able to fence off challenges one after another, each time rising ever stronger than before, welcoming the cheers of one's supporters while respecting the jeers of one's naysayers.

Very nice stories, but they all involve huge amounts of MONEY to be gained, so there is nothing noble or valuable about them. Just rich people trying to get even richer.
We are talking about a personal project shared FOR FREE. If the creator don’t think the effort is worth it, so be it.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 46 of 146, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-06-13, 23:25:

We are talking about a personal project shared FOR FREE. If the creator don’t think the effort is worth it, so be it.

Oh sure, if it was the author's choice, then so be it. I am not complaining, but at the same time blame no one for its downfall. The source code has been made available from GitHub. As long as the author did not take things personal and out to destroy every traces of PCem source code, anyone with the right motivation could always revive the project in the future.

Reply 47 of 146, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-06-14, 00:08:
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-06-13, 23:25:

Oh sure, if it was the author's choice, then so be it. I am not complaining, but at the same time blame no one for its downfall. The source code has been made available from GitHub. As long as the author did not take things personal and out to destroy every traces of PCem source code, anyone with the right motivation could always revive the project in the future.

Yeah, I made sure to download the repository, just in case.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 49 of 146, by sherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-13, 17:54:

The bitbucket page lands on a 404.

Just to clarify this so people don't get the wrong idea, Sarah moved the PCem repository to GitHub several months ago because Bitbucket removed support for Mercurial repositories and offered no simple migration path to convert existing Mercurial repos to Git repos. Bitbucket users were NOT impressed...

As of writing this post, the GitHub repo at https://github.com/sarah-walker-pcem/pcem still exists.

Last edited by sherman on 2021-06-18, 22:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 146, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've restored the site - removing it was a knee-jerk reaction and not the most productive thing to do. Forums will remain closed as I no longer believe I have the energy or ability to moderate them. I still don't intend to continue the project, but am open to handing it over if anyone wants to take it on.

Reply 51 of 146, by Siggy12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote on 2021-06-14, 10:12:

I've restored the site - removing it was a knee-jerk reaction and not the most productive thing to do. Forums will remain closed as I no longer believe I have the energy or ability to moderate them. I still don't intend to continue the project, but am open to handing it over if anyone wants to take it on.

Thank You Queen for PCEM and if You change Your mind I'll be glad to follow PCEM project again!

Reply 52 of 146, by sherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if phpBB allows this, but would you consider leaving the forum accessible in a read-only mode? There are a lot of guides, hints and some patches that were never added for some reason or another. It would be a shame for all of that content to no longer be available to view.

Reply 53 of 146, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks.

PCem started as a "niche" emulator that allowed many people remember the first PCs... a golden age when you everybody tried to make their own PC and didn't use non-descriptive cases. Now, it has surpassed every expectation and fills a very important gap (the Windows 9x era games are being increasingly difficult to play).

Thanks for all your work. Go get a well deserved rest, and remember that no emulator is worth your well being.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 54 of 146, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote on 2021-06-13, 16:08:
The forums are worse. They've been deleted and the page only says: […]
Show full quote

The forums are worse. They've been deleted and the page only says:

Information

I'm done. This isn't fun anymore.

Lately, Sarah Walker was thinking about leaving PCem and going into other projects. Someone mentioned 86box and awaken some bad memories from the past. So it seems that:
- Someone hacked PCem page. I really hope that this is the reason behind the main page and forum downtime, because the only other thing I can think of is...
- Someone pissed her off and she has finished PCem the worst way. I understand that people can get very nasty (specially through internet) and that having devoted so much time to be heavily critisized can lead to such a breakdown. But that's a sad way to end this project after many years of efforts and achievements.

Please, get back soon! Even if only PCem page is restored and the project frozen, many people will be thankful.

"But that's a sad way to end this project after many years of efforts and achievements."

Exactly my feeling here. I feel sorry for her and that she had to tolerate some assholes with no proper grasp on life, or even important things that makes a life live for. But to say "fuck all of this", it's a bit of an overkill. Wants to close the forum or the community to avoid dealing with such idiots? sure, i would have done the same. But closing the entire projects...damn. We, and I mean the vast majority of people, never wanted to harm the project, or her, in any way, and it's a shame that because of some homophobic morons we had to deal with it as well

Reply 55 of 146, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mad respect. Take care Sarah.

Reply 56 of 146, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zaxxon wrote on 2021-06-14, 13:58:

Exactly my feeling here. I feel sorry for her and that she had to tolerate some assholes with no proper grasp on life, or even important things that makes a life live for. But to say "fuck all of this", it's a bit of an overkill. Wants to close the forum or the community to avoid dealing with such idiots? sure, i would have done the same. But closing the entire projects...damn. We, and I mean the vast majority of people, never wanted to harm the project, or her, in any way, and it's a shame that because of some homophobic morons we had to deal with it as well

It’s not so simple, unfortunately. Society itself is homophobic and I really doubt “some homophobic morons” were all the reason for discontinuing a 10+ years project.
No offense, but it seems that you (and many others) are far more concerned with the product than with the human being behind it, that kind of attitude can also be considered discouraging.
If the project continues or not isn’t our call to make.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 57 of 146, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe someone with a large audience who's in the retro/emulator scene could help, someone like Modern Vintage Gamer, etc?

He's quite passionate about this topic. I'm not saying he, specifically, should/would take on the development; just that he could maybe make a video about PCem, to raise awareness about the software itself and the situation of the project as a whole.

Reply 58 of 146, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't checked but how many major retro youtube channels have videos on PCem? MVG, who could be considered major and constantly makes videos about emulation, doesn't seem to have even a single one.

Yes, there are many videos about PCem but they are from not so well known channels. A video from a major youtuber could help to bring developers and maintainers to the project.

(EDIT: this was a reply to a now deleted post)