VOGONS

Common searches

Leak of Windows 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never had that problem with google.

Is that a Windows thing?

How quait...

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 121 of 316, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2021-06-18, 06:05:

Hmm.. I was running a laptop for a while with a local Windows 10 account and I don't remember it bombarding me with hints to use an MS account.

As far as Windows trying to get you to use Edge.. I never see that even though I use Chrome almost exclusively.

Yeah, same here. I guess some people are just unlucky like this. Or maybe it's another difference of Home vs Pro?

I was running Windows 10 Pro on my video editing rig and it started asking me monthly to set up a Micro$oft account ever since it updated to 1909. I've tried permanently getting rid of it in every way I could find (from unchecking the “Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows” box in Settings to the "ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled" registry key trick) and nothing worked. I ended up reformatting the computer with Windows 8.1 with Open Shell to get rid of it as it was really getting on my nerves having to put up with that annoying "Get Even More Out of Windows" screen every month.

The last time I used a Micro$oft account with Windows 10, I was having all sorts of issues including annoying notifications saying that I needed to fix my Micro$oft account, getting activity reports even though my account has no family associations, and activation issues when my computer's motherboard died. So now I generally avoid using a Micro$oft account on Windows whenever I can, which is why I'm hoping they remove the advertisements from Windows 11.

As for Edge advertisements, I remember getting bombarded with them on 1703 every time I launched Firefox after a certain point in time, and the option to disable the advertisement notifications was greyed out. On 1809, I was able to avoid them easily after disabling recommendations, but then they came back on my lock screen once M$ released Chromium Edge, so I resorted to disabling my lock screen after that fiasco. There was also a "feature" in a Windows Insider Build that would block the installation of other web browsers.

Micro$oft has been really aggressive with advertisements (including ads for their own products) on Windows 10, so here's to hoping that they put a stop to it on Windows 11. Otherwise, there will be more people switching to Linux soon.

Reply 122 of 316, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2021-06-18, 06:55:

I was running Windows 10 Pro on my video editing rig and it started asking me monthly to set up a Micro$oft account ever since it updated to 1909.

Thank you for this information. I will follow up on that when I get more info, as it seems most of my PCs are currently on 1903 still. I have one machine on 1909, but it's Win10 Enterprise with a corporate account.

I ended up reformatting the computer with Windows 8.1 with Open Shell to get rid of it as it was really getting on my nerves having to put up with that annoying "Get Even More Out of Windows" screen every month.

Still, one has to wonder how many decades (or millennia?) would have to pass for you to get back the time you've spent on reinstalling the OS by saving the 1 second it takes to press 'Skip' once a month... Obviously, it's not an issue of lost productivity / time, but just the irritation of getting unsolicited offers. I can understand that, on some level.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 123 of 316, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 now and since installing Windows (02/06/20) have never been asked to sign in to a Microsoft account and practically never been asked to switch browser. Only time was that one update to introduce the new Chrome Edge, but I think that particular one was backported to 7 / 8 anyway.

Something's probably wrong with your setup very specifically. It's not a Windows 10 problem. (and tbh, I don't believe you, anyone spelling Microsoft with a $ is biased enough to lie).

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-18, 05:53:

Either way it doesn't really matter as Edge is basically just Microsoft's skin over Chrome since they got rid of the original Edge not too long ago.

If we're going to talk about aggressively pushing to get you to log in to accounts for data collection, then the difference between Chrome and Edge matters a lot. Edge doesn't care if you're logged in to your Google Account. Chrome on the other hand, has assumed that if you logged in to any Google service, that you wanted to log in the browser to and be permanently connected to Google.

I think they stopped doing that, but if you're staying away from Windows 10 because of privacy concerns and you're using Google Chrome ... you have some wrong priorities.

Otherwise, there will be more people switching to Linux soon.

If by more, you mean a few more, sure. If you mean any significant amount of people? 🤣

People will be buying Chromebooks or Macs over switching to Linux.

Reply 124 of 316, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did Microsoft just confirm the name of the new OS 'Windows 10 Version Next' or does it refer to its codename?

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 126 of 316, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-18, 14:11:

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 now and since installing Windows (02/06/20) have never been asked to sign in to a Microsoft account and practically never been asked to switch browser. Only time was that one update to introduce the new Chrome Edge, but I think that particular one was backported to 7 / 8 anyway.

Something's probably wrong with your setup very specifically. It's not a Windows 10 problem. (and tbh, I don't believe you, anyone spelling Microsoft with a $ is biased enough to lie).

Good to know that they've (possibly) stopped that practice in a later Windows 10 update. If you don't believe me about the Microsoft Account ads, just do a google search for "get even more out of windows screen" or "let's finish setting up your device windows 10" for proof. I'm not the only one who has encountered it.

Reply 129 of 316, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-19, 06:58:

I encountered it. What a bullshit tactic. (I'm on Windows insider preview)

Insider previews is volunteering for bullshit. It's meant for testing, not general usage.

KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2021-06-19, 02:46:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-18, 14:11:

Good to know that they've (possibly) stopped that practice in a later Windows 10 update. If you don't believe me about the Microsoft Account ads, just do a google search for "get even more out of windows screen" or "let's finish setting up your device windows 10" for proof. I'm not the only one who has encountered it.

Stopped? I've used Windows 10 practically since release and it's practically never bothered me.

And Googling for those terms just gives me results on how to easily disable it. Getting it on a monthly basis despite attempts to disable it doesn't seem normal enough for it to be one of the top Google results. It's a bug with your setup, not normal behaviour.

Reply 130 of 316, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-19, 14:35:
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-19, 06:58:

I encountered it. What a bullshit tactic. (I'm on Windows insider preview)

Insider previews is volunteering for bullshit. It's meant for testing, not general usage.

What ?
First, that's a bit rude.
Secondly, it doesn't counter my point.
Seriously, what kind of answer is that ?

Reply 131 of 316, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-19, 14:35:

And Googling for those terms just gives me results on how to easily disable it. Getting it on a monthly basis despite attempts to disable it doesn't seem normal enough for it to be one of the top Google results. It's a bug with your setup, not normal behaviour.

Yes, but it seems the bug is not as rare as you would think, as many of those guides that say how to disable it have comments under them with multiple people complaining it did not work for them.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 133 of 316, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2021-06-18, 03:48:
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-06-17, 23:53:

Microsoft should totally release this on XP's 20th anniversary. 😁

...and they should take the time to get rid of some of the legacy components. The old control panel, for example.

You mean, they should ditch the terrible "apps" and *keep* the old control panel as being something that works well, and has for decades.

Naw man. I just want it all under one roof, and at this point I'd rather have it all in Settings. Microsoft's main goal for 21H2/Win11 is to give the OS a fresh new coat of paint, but if they keep Control Panel and other old UI remnants around for yet another build, they won't be able to say they've done so.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-18, 02:24:

Some stuff take 2-3 times more time / clicks to get to the same information / settings as it does via the control panel.

Control Panel still lurking in the wings is exactly why some stuff takes 2-3 more clicks! Want to see advanced audio settings? Then you have to click on a link that abruptly whisks you out of Settings and into a Control Panel based object. Once Microsoft transitions everything to Settings, all of those extra clicks will likely be a thing of the past.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-18, 02:24:

Where are they going to put all the admin stuff?

I think it'll be easy for them to find a spot for it, because Settings in its current form has so much empty space it's almost comical on a high res display. After they transfer the remaining guts of Control Panel into Settings, all they need to do is tighten up the UI a bit. Use all of that empty space to add a few more options to each page. Perhaps allow more than one Settings window to be open at a time, if necessary.

Last edited by Standard Def Steve on 2021-06-20, 02:54. Edited 1 time in total.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 135 of 316, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-06-20, 00:08:

I liked Control Panel

Yep.. everything in one easy place to access. Everything is organized very logically as well. Why is there this push to move everything into a horribly designed settings app where you can't even have more than one thing open at a time?

If they fixed it so it was actually useable it would be exactly like the Control Panel.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 136 of 316, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-20, 03:42:
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-06-20, 00:08:

I liked Control Panel

Yep.. everything in one easy place to access. Everything is organized very logically as well. Why is there this push to move everything into a horribly designed settings app where you can't even have more than one thing open at a time?

If they fixed it so it was actually useable it would be exactly like the Control Panel.

I feel the same, the old Control Panel was much better organized and required less clicks also.

Attachments

• panel.png
    Filename
    panel.png
    File size
    9.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 138 of 316, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This was good. Nobody ever complained about it. It existed for many years and everyone was used to it and knew exactly how to navigate it.

So of course, it had to go.

microsoft-windows^1995^windows-95-control-panel.png
Filename
microsoft-windows^1995^windows-95-control-panel.png
File size
16.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.