VOGONS

Reply 3160 of 4607, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-06-14, 17:20:

On the other hand, lemon drizzle cake.

Lemon drizzle cake after fish and chips? Yes please.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3161 of 4607, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
A001 wrote on 2021-06-14, 16:19:

K7T Turbo - too late to recap? Excellent condition minus the caps...

IMG_3194[5596].jpg

I have an identical board with the same problems, electrolytic capacitors to replace, I've been saving it for years, I still have to order spare parts, unfortunately I don't have capacitors of the same capacity and voltage available, and I have other motherboards that have the same problem.
But I think I will order them as soon as possible, because I am arranging several MB, the K7T Turbo is one of those that should be working again after replacement.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 3162 of 4607, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just before going for recycling managed to save something sweet in one of our offices. My colleague there was not sure about some stuff and sent me pictures, so that nice looking Digital TLZ07-DA tape drive will live some more

digital.jpg
Filename
digital.jpg
File size
50.05 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3164 of 4607, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I was looking for a MB 486 VLB that has a chip cache problem, it's not where I thought.
But I found others to repair (not 486), plus another 486 VLB PINE PT-429 which is working, at least it was the last time I used it, this MB 486 would need some restoration work in battery area (3.6V), some tracks are not in good shape, and I hope to prevent them from corroding and interrupting some tracks.
The other MB are a S.370 dfi CB61 intel 440BX chipset, this has never worked although aesthetically it is practically new from the factory, in recent years I have more knowledge for troubleshooting, I will try to look at it and try it as soon as I can.
The other MB is a S.7 Freetech P5F76 Intel 430VX chipset, the card was working with 72PIN Ram, to expand the quantity installed (it was 16MB) I removed them and inserted a 32MB RAM DIMM, from that moment on is more started, this too I'll try to look at it and try it as soon as possible.

Attachments

Reply 3165 of 4607, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 08:55:

rust = patina = character. All part of it's history.

Rust is rust. It may give character to some 50s rat-rod, but not to electronic parts because rust doesn't come with it's intended use. It's as bad damage as battery electrolyte spilled over your motherboard.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3166 of 4607, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 08:55:

rust = patina = character. All part of it's history.

The 10 million subscribers retrobrighting special: the Statue of Liberty.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 3167 of 4607, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found the 486 VLB motherboard today.
This is a card with OPTi chipset, 128KB L2 cache, the model is 495SLC REV. T.1, has two RAM slots for four 30PIN SIMMs (eight total).
I installed 8MB of 30 PIN RAM, a 1MB Cirrus Logic GD5424 VLB video card, ISA IDE COM LPT controller, a Cyrix 486DX2-66 CPU with heatsink (but no fan), the CPU was originally an AMD DX2-66 but not I had more neither the said nor the fan, so I used the Cyrix that is included (heatsink).
The MB works but has some problems, some I solved some others still not, I had a problem with the VLB slot, I solved it by moving the video card to another one that does not give problems, the video card I fixed it by replacing the capacitors electrolytic, the last problem to be solved is that of the L2 cache which no longer works.
When it worked I had expanded it to 256KB by adding more chips in the empty sockets (taken temporarily from another MB486), currently with 128KB and active L2 cache it hangs in the BIOS screen, I should try with the POST CARD to see the codes. 'error.
But with the L2 cache disabled the PC works and starts normally, unfortunately by deactivating the cache the performance of the PC drops a little, solving this problem everything would be fine.

Attachments

Reply 3168 of 4607, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just got... something... from a relative, was sitting out under a back porch for a year or more. Had to leave it on my porch for now, as I have to make sure it's spider free, etc before I can get it into the house. Seems it was a decent spec system in it's day, 6 bay mid tower Antec case, 900W or so PSU, Two full length PCIe slots, both got GPU in.... slim ones though, Nvidia 9000 series??? ... maybe socket 775... just got a peek through the dusty wide panel window. Too dark now to see much out there. Probably won't get "into" it until Sunday at least now... Actually didn't look too bad for being semi exposed to the weather, except the outside is filthy. Would not be surprised if 50% of it still works, figuring out which 50% might take a while.... got a case at least 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3169 of 4607, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snuck in a better look amidst todays activities... Case is either an Antec Nine Hundred or super close model. Mobo is Asus P5N-D. GPUs are EVGA 9600GT. PSU is 910W PC Power & Cooling. Big heatpipe cooler with a 150mm in the middle of it, not sure what that is yet. Couldn't see what the drives were, 2 of them though, possibly it was set up for RAID 0 which screwed up. Relatives got given it "It screwed up, was super slow" probably nuke and repave on the HDD and it's gonna be pretty decent by the look of it. Has a Core 2 Quad sticker on the back, hoping it's a Yorkfield. Has two heatpipe OCZ RAM modules. After a wipe off it's hard to tell it's been outside, I've seen nastier looking machines come out of a basement. Only thing I really feel I "have to" get into before I try firing it up is the PSU, which has had some leaf litter intrusion.

Yeah, it's not looking very retro, it might get "current" status even, crossing my fingers it's a midrange Yorkfield, that would mean good headroom I think. if I get it near 4Ghz, with SSE4, not a lot it won't do still. GPUs are meh for modern, but I've got a couple of R9s sitting around.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3170 of 4607, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the good old days when there was a nearby Ewaste facility that was so small that they let stuff overflow to an area by the front door, one of the things I rescued one night was an HP AIO Omni 120-1034. I brought it home and checked it out, saw that it was in perfect working order, and put it in the garage. I'm planning on moving out of California in the next couple of months, so I decided that I should clean this thing up and put it on Craigslist. Checking it out today, I was surprised to find that it has a Sandisk 240 gigabyte SSD inside. These have E-450 dual core CPUs, and only four gigs of DDR3, so it's so slow that I wouldn't have thought it could be an SSD. I have a Seagate SSHD that would be perfect for this, and I'll probably get another 4 gig SODIMM so it won't be so painfully slow. But yeah, that was a nice surprise.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3171 of 4607, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-06-21, 03:24:

Back in the good old days when there was a nearby Ewaste facility that was so small that they let stuff overflow to an area by the front door, one of the things I rescued one night was an HP AIO Omni 120-1034. I brought it home and checked it out, saw that it was in perfect working order, and put it in the garage. I'm planning on moving out of California in the next couple of months, so I decided that I should clean this thing up and put it on Craigslist. Checking it out today, I was surprised to find that it has a Sandisk 240 gigabyte SSD inside. These have E-450 dual core CPUs, and only four gigs of DDR3, so it's so slow that I wouldn't have thought it could be an SSD. I have a Seagate SSHD that would be perfect for this, and I'll probably get another 4 gig SODIMM so it won't be so painfully slow. But yeah, that was a nice surprise.

dont...just dont...

the main bottleneck there is the E450 and there is nothing you can do about that, not even 8gb and an ssd would made it faster, at least not for everyday use

Reply 3172 of 4607, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang, just looked up the passmark scores, how did they manage to make them slower than low end X2 Turions?? I'm using one of those to look up docs in the workshop with linux on, but wouldn't wanna be confined to it for general use. Dodged a bullet there, had a choice a while back of an E450 or Celeron in a X131 and I got the celly... which version in that is just like a slightly crippled i5 dual core mobile. (I'd put that celly in the same bracket as 300A mendocinos, tualerons, one of the sleepers. I guess the 400 series conroe tech weren't terrible, but being single cores in a dual core world didn't get much love.)

Nothing doing with the junkheap find from the rellies, tweaked my back and it's too darn heavy... like 5170 with full height HDDs heavy... it's hilarious that they recommended this Antec Nine Hundred as "ideal for LAN parties" there's nothing to hold onto and it weighs a ton.

Reply 3173 of 4607, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some more saves from recycling:
1. Acorp 5600 modem

acorp.jpg
Filename
acorp.jpg
File size
220.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2. Yamaha YST-M8 speakers

yamaha.jpg
Filename
yamaha.jpg
File size
155.63 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

3. Two axial 230V fans from old UPS

fans.jpg
Filename
fans.jpg
File size
206.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

4. Elka 51 electronic calculator, made in Bulgaria by ISOT, model from 1974.

elka51.jpg
Filename
elka51.jpg
File size
52.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3174 of 4607, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked these up at my parents home. There are also some more boxed games. Maybe 7-8 of them that are complete. But KQ5 is a personaly favorite. I wills soon try the disks on my Compaq armada I brought. 😀

Oh and a 12 mb voodoo2! Found it in a drawer beside an internal modem card. Looks visually ok. Funny, I already have a non working ct6670 at home. Can it run SLI with this one if I fix it or are they incompatible because of the different vram?

IMG_20210711_160917.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210711_160917.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3175 of 4607, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This random piece of WTF??? comes courtesy of Mrs BitWrangler, who brought it home when they were throwing it out at work... okay, that was a while ago, but it just resurfaced at the back of a closet, so now you get to see it...

Attachments

• qmisa.jpg
    Filename
    qmisa.jpg
    File size
    1.82 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    "Q-motion ISA PnP" capture card.
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3176 of 4607, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somehow I found a pair of computers literally on the side of the road today. They looked promising so I grabbed them both. The one turned out to be a really disheveled and not really functional LGA775 machine crammed into an older beige case, but the left one with the dual optical drives and the Zip drive turned out to be a very nice Super Socket 7 system with a 3dfx Voodoo Banshee card, albeit one by a brand I've never heard of.

Attachments

Reply 3177 of 4607, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did however scavenge this beauty from the LGA775 box, will be fun testing this thing out with some older PC games.

Attachments

Reply 3178 of 4607, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice scores. I dunno if it was a beige box older than the system, although it did happen with upgrades, as beige was having it's last gasp around when 775 came out, and the stock selloffs of beige stock meant you got them for $20 even $10 brand new.

Reply 3179 of 4607, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-18, 01:29:

Nice scores. I dunno if it was a beige box older than the system, although it did happen with upgrades, as beige was having it's last gasp around when 775 came out, and the stock selloffs of beige stock meant you got them for $20 even $10 brand new.

Yeah, this LGA 775 system is some weird budget build (aside from the graphics card) with a Pentium Dual-Core E2180 instead of a Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM instead of 3 or 4GB. But it stopped POSTing right after I took this photo so off to e-waste it goes, I have enough LGA775 stuff as-is.

Attachments