VOGONS

Would you be interested in an x86-based alternative to the Raspberry Pi, optimized for retro gaming?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 201, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:07:

Ah, I see the two pieces of software you mentioned now.

You can get BOTH of Ultima VII's expansion packs plus the original Ultima VII itself for $55: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384212262943?hash=it … h4AAOSwfmBgUVDz

In fact, the seller is having difficulty selling that item for $55, and has repeatedly re-listed it at that price.

Here is just the CD for $16.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14407499878

Ultima I-VII + some more for $40:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303742969088

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-06-22, 23:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 121 of 201, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

*sigh*
You are doing it again.
Ultimate Doom is "literally" not the original release. It's a rerelease of the original with a fourth episode.
Do you understand what original release means?
So far you have proven, surprise, that the rerelease is so much cheaper. And you did that repeatedly. Repeatedly missing the point.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 122 of 201, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:12:

Ultimate Doom is "literally" not the original release. It's a rerelease of the original with a fourth episode.

You never said "original release". You said "original Doom".

Repeatedly missing the point.

No, you are. The original point, if you'll go back a page, is that old games on physical media are not expensive or rare. "Original release" is not part of that statement.

Last edited by WDStudios on 2021-06-22, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 123 of 201, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can get ALL (?) of Ultima VII's expansion packs plus the original Ultima VII itself for $55: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384212262943?hash=it … h4AAOSwfmBgUVDz

In fact, the seller is having difficulty selling that item for $55, and has repeatedly re-listed it at that price.

Congratulations, now try to find the original releases for that price.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 124 of 201, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Who cares if it is the original release or not. The original releases are really only worth the money to collectors.

Is there something that makes the rerelease not as good as the original release? If not, then anybody who just wants to play the game is not going to pay the collectors price and will just buy the cheaper media.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 125 of 201, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:15:

You can get ALL (?) of Ultima VII's expansion packs plus the original Ultima VII itself for $55: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384212262943?hash=it … h4AAOSwfmBgUVDz

Congratulations, now try to find the original releases for that price.

Again, "original release" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the point at hand, which is that old games on physical media are neither rare nor expensive.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:16:

Is there something that makes the rerelease not as good as the original release?

There are specific instances when a particular patch significantly altered the game balance in controversial ways (examples: Moo2 version 1.3, Diablo II version 1.10), and re-releases use the newer patch. People who prefer the older patches will be forced to use the earlier releases. I'm not aware of any examples of this happening on physical media, though; only online distributions.

Last edited by WDStudios on 2021-06-22, 23:21. Edited 1 time in total.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 126 of 201, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:14:

I only wrote "original Doom" after posting about "original releases". One *could* deduce from this that original means for me original release.

Reply 127 of 201, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:25:

I only wrote "original Doom" after posting about "original releases". One *could* deduce from this that original means for me original release.

One could deduce that, but it would be irrelevant to the point at hand, which is: old games on physical media are neither expensive nor rare.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 128 of 201, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:16:

Who cares if it is the original release or not. The original releases are really only worth the money to collectors.

Is there something that makes the rerelease not as good as the original release? If not, then anybody who just wants to play the game is not going to pay the collectors price and will just buy the cheaper media.

I certainly care about original releases 🤣

I wager that anybody who just wants to play the game is either just downloading it and play it via an emulator or buy it from GoG (and play it preconfigured with an emulator). I'm certain these will not buy an extra device for that.

On the other hand one who wants to fully reenact the retro feeling would rather play it on a real retro machine and getting the game out of the original released box.

Reply 129 of 201, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:30:

I certainly care about original releases 🤣

I wager that anybody who just wants to play the game is either just downloading it and play it via an emulator or buy it from GoG (and play it preconfigured with an emulator). I'm certain these will not buy an extra device for that.

On the other hand one who wants to fully reenact the retro feeling would rather play it on a real retro machine and getting the game out of the original released box.

Any sufficiently old box is retro whether it's the original release or not. Of course, there are varying degrees of "authenticity", but the specific degree of authenticity under discussion here is:

WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-22, 10:02:
Deksor wrote on 2021-06-22, 09:46:

So you're against having to hunt for rare expensive parts, which is fair, but hunting rare expensive games is part of the retro experience ?

Old games on physical media are neither rare nor expensive

No mention of boxes. No mention of original releases. Just the expense and difficulty of hunting down old games on physical media. Any physical media.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 130 of 201, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:29:
Dominus wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:25:

One could deduce that, but it would be irrelevant to the point at hand, which is: old games on physical media are neither expensive nor rare.

But once you go down that road (any release on any physical media) then the games can just be had from GoG for less price than the postage of the physical media would be.
And once you go GoG why even bother with an extra device?

Reply 131 of 201, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:06:
Oh, sure, I do not deny that WINE has great potentials though I once did. FYI, my QEMU uses WineD3D to support Direct3D games, t […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-06-22, 22:06:

Non-ironically, WINE is allegedly one of the best/easiest current ways to access a lot of Win9x content on modern hardware. The dude who wrote that post is one of the smartest people I know, has massive respect in the industry, and owns more retro hardware than any 5 of us put together.

But WINE's ability to target a hugely complex array of compatibility levels on an individual application basis is just crazy. I'm bouncing between Win95 Direct3D 3 stuff and Win10+D3D9/10/11 stuff without any problems.

Oh, sure, I do not deny that WINE has great potentials though I once did. FYI, my QEMU uses WineD3D to support Direct3D games, too.

That same dude that you referred also called himself a 20 years Linux and enterprise virtualization veteran but yet ranting, raving and trash talking about his "crashed & burned" experience in his attempts at getting 3Dfx/Glide passthrough working on QEMU while exhausted all his tricks at making NFS2SEA, Motor Racer 1 and Warhammer Dark Omen play with WINE. Oh, that dude also had a pro-Linux stance and I just had a good laugh. I could have demoed all those games effortlessly on Linux with QEMU in pristine condition.

Don't flame me, please. I have nothing in person with that dude. If he is also a member of VOGONS, I would just say a welcoming Hi. 😉

Flame you? there is only one person here referring to a third party in pejorative terms such as "ranting, raving" and you "having a good laugh" at them... and it's you. 😀

Instead of that, perhaps you could go and directly converse with the person you're so quick to criticise in their absence. That would be beneficial and educational for many.

Reply 132 of 201, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Couldn't help but notice this thread has derailed badly, beginning to have pages filled with rants and pointless arguments against eachother, ignoring the proposed idea.

For the OP, have you played around with one of those x86 SBCs (like the lattepanda or the udoo), to see what it's like ?

Reply 133 of 201, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:38:

the games can just be had from GoG for less price than the postage of the physical media would be.

Last time I checked, GOG was not physical media.

computerguy08 wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:44:

For the OP, have you played around with one of those x86 SBCs (like the lattepanda or the udoo), to see what it's like?

No. I'm still in the "asking questions on forums" step of the research stage.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 134 of 201, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:38:

Flame you? there is only one person here referring to a third party in pejorative terms such as "ranting, raving" and you "having a good laugh" at them... and it's you. 😀
Instead of that, perhaps you could go and directly converse with the person you're so quick to criticise in their absence. That would be beneficial and educational for many.

I made no accusation or criticism. He said out those terms himself. Do a search there, will you? Or, do you need me to quote his posts as evidence? I would rather not.
I am just lurking over there. I don't see the needs to converse directly other than having a good laugh.

Such discussion had derailed the OP's quest.

Reply 136 of 201, by MotoPete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:56:

I'm still in the "asking questions on forums" step of the research stage.

And there's your problem mate, well here at least, wrong audience.

Unless you're posting for trolling laughs (which is what this thread whiffs off if I'm to be honest), you're just wasting your time.

If you're actually serious about this concept then ask for Admin to move the thread to The Guide, or re-post on a GOG or similar forum where users may be more receptive to what you're offering.

Reply 137 of 201, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have made my searchs on eBay for your information. However none of these deals appeared in my area.
I can't even buy that Duke nukem, and the auction will end in 6 days. Thus I'd have to wait for it to maybe get it for cheap.

Also note that I mentioned ultima VI (6), not ultima VII (7).

In any case, my initial point was that getting original games is expensive.
Maybe not super expensive if you go towards cheap rereleases that nobody wants, but then getting them from gog is even cheaper and easier than having to get them used (at least when they're available, some are missing I give you that). The fact you can buy them from gog (or just pirate them) is probably another reason why nobody wants them.

The same Ultima 7 collection you listed is available here for 5 bucks https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_7_complete

Even if the guy can't sell it for 55, you'll never get it for 5 from him.

Ultimate doom can be gotten for 5 bucks
https://www.gog.com/game/the_ultimate_doom

By comparison it's like saying "you can also go for cheap computer parts instead of going for the holy grail like the 9800xt and still have a good retro experience. Just pick a cheap pentium 4 box stick a mid range video card and you can run what you'd like for the time period you aim."

Which would be true, but maybe not what you want or expect.

This was I initially meant :
wanting a modern cheap and readily available hardware solution, then wanting the original game releases that aren't so cheap and longer to get in comparison to online re-releases because that's the "retro experience" sounds contradictory to me.

As usual, what's retro and what's not is a matter of opinion ... To me, playing on an emulator is a valid way. Playing on original hardware is also a valid way. Using original or copies gotten from the internet is valid as well.
I personally prefer to stay with original hardware and original copies to avoid quirks (bad emulation, bad dump or an issue with a re-release) but it didn't prevent me from finishing some games on emulators even if I have many retro PCs at hand.

As for newly made hardware, I think it'd sell better among the masses if you made a contract with GOG to ship it with some classic games and have a hardware support as broad as possible (especially with sound in DOS, speed accuracy comes second). Of course adding more games from either originals or online should be possible.

By the way how is that gonna work ? Do you plan to put a floppy disk connector and an ide connector ? Do like the pi and rely on an SD card and use usb devices ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 138 of 201, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At this point, of it had internal storage, I would probably opt for a m.2 drive.

IDE would be a nightmare going forward and CF cards can be very picky about what they work with.

I would go with something that is still available new instead of relying on old hardware that is getting less and less available used, much less new.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 139 of 201, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2021-06-23, 00:03:
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:38:

I made no accusation or criticism. He said out those terms himself. Do a search there, will you? Or, do you need me to quote his posts as evidence? I would rather not.
I am just lurking over there. I don't see the needs to converse directly other than having a good laugh.

It's interesting that you've managed to turn a talk about running old games on new hardware, into "yet another" petty session of pecking at another person's reputation. A pattern of behaviour we've all seen you engage in constantly on these forums in recent days and weeks. I consider that type of behaviour to be quite unpleasant, and won't be engaging with your opinions or your projects again. Have a good time, bye. 😀