VOGONS

First post, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a goto Network card for Win 3.11? Every card I have doesn't have Win 3.x drivers. Is there a cheap alternative on ebay perhaps? Or maybe a specific model with great compatibility with Win3.x? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3com 3c509 ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of the chipsets around also had a NE2000 mode, so generic NE2000 driver works.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 6, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally speaking I reach for 3com network cards. They have driver support for basically every OS and they are generally light on the CPU and have excellent throughput

Reply 6 of 6, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a Linksys LNE2000T ISA card, as someone was selling them new-old-stock for like $10 each a few years back, and I have no trouble at all with them, though I'm only using one right now, in the 486 I use to test everything I make with my modern system. Alas, I'm not a network technician, so I can't say if this card is better or worse than others. It just works fine in Windows for Workgroups, and I can access network shares and browse the web just fine, barring the usual limitations for vintage systems.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.