VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been trying to install Windows 98 SE on a computer with more than 512 MB of RAM, but have not succeeded.

Different instructions say I should edit system.ini and under VCache section have MaxFileCache set to some specific value. Different instructions have different values, but I have not got it working at all.

When Windows is trying to start, after editing system.ini, I get every time some new error message.

Reply 1 of 13, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use 512MB, modify System.ini and Config.sys on that, and after successfull reboot, add more RAM.

You can also use HimemX to go over 1GB (should help when Config.sys and System.ini tinkering alone aren't helping). It's also how I do it.
Where to get HimemX : LINK

Intructions :
Copy Himemx.exe to Windows folder
Add the line in config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEMX.EXE
(C:\WINDOWS\HIMEMX.EXE depends where you put Windows)

[386Enh]
MaxPhysPage=48000
MinSPs=16
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
DMABufferSize=64
^It limits you to 1150MB RAM (higher that that is highly NOT recommended).

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=65535
ChunkSize=1024

PS. Safe mode will not work with over 512MB RAM (because it doesn't load drivers/additional files and programs).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-07-15, 13:40. Edited 3 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Refer this topic - >512MB with Windows 98...
And this: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129983-how-to … more-than-1-gb/

Also, try installing the "Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a" as this contains an accumulation of patches released by Microsoft, which apparently fixes this issue as well

Reply 3 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

PS. Safe mode will not work with over 512MB RAM (because it doesn't load drivers/additional files and programs).

IO.SYS (I think it's IO.SYS?) is hardcoded to load HIMEM in safe mode, but it's easy to patch it to use HIMEMX instead and thus make safe mode functional again.

Reply 4 of 13, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:

IO.SYS (I think it's IO.SYS?) is hardcoded to load HIMEM in safe mode, but it's easy to patch it to use HIMEMX instead and thus make safe mode functional again.

Does this not work for safe mode?

>512MB with Windows 98...

Might not be 100% stable but should let you boot in and change what you need at least

Reply 6 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would you need more than 512mb of ram for 98SE? It's 100% functional on as little as 64mb, and I find it very useable with only 128mb and thats playing 2001 era games with it

Reply 7 of 13, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Why would you need more than 512mb of ram for 98SE? It's 100% functional on as little as 64mb, and I find it very useable with only 128mb and thats playing 2001 era games with it

Because you want to also run a later OS on the same machine. Literally the only possible reason.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 13, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use bs_ram9x.exe in autoexec.bat in my 2 GB Machine.

It marks 1,5 GB of Ram as Used let only 512 MB free for Win98.
No Patch of Win98 needed.

I let the 2 GB ram in this PC because it's configured to dualbooting W98 and XP.
And for XP then i have 2 GB Ram, but when booting win98 it sees only 512 MB.

Reply 9 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You've mentioned bs_ram9x several times now. I guess it's nice that it works for you, but it seems to have a bad reputation and does not seem to have any advantage over other techniques.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158417-bs_ram9xexe/

Reply 10 of 13, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
markot wrote:

I have been trying to install Windows 98 SE on a computer with more than 512 MB of RAM, but have not succeeded.

Different instructions say I should edit system.ini and under VCache section have MaxFileCache set to some specific value. Different instructions have different values, but I have not got it working at all.

When Windows is trying to start, after editing system.ini, I get every time some new error message.

i tried adding 4gbs to my windows 98 virtual machine with no difference

Reply 11 of 13, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

Just as mentioned here, I want to install another OS (Windows XP) on the same machine too. Windows 98 works well with little RAM, that's true.

Reply 12 of 13, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

You've mentioned bs_ram9x several times now. I guess it's nice that it works for you, but it seems to have a bad reputation and does not seem to have any advantage over other techniques.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158417-bs_ram9xexe/

I see 🙁

If its really a virus then i and everyone else better should not use it anymore.