VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gridrunner-xy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I have a well loved Gateway 2000 machine, a very handsome P5-200 tower with a P200 installed. It has 64MB of RAM and the following set up:

Tseng ET6000 video card
PCI Ethernet card
PCI SCSI controller
AWE64 ISA card
Roland Sound Canvas midi box
An SSD with a SATA to IDE provides the HD.

Win 98SE is installed and to play DOS games I boot into DOS mode during Windows startup.

Generally, things work well but occasionally I get a strange momentary lag, where everything slows down and then resumes. If Midi's playing this can even slow down the notes before the music resumes. This is more pronounced on some games than others but has affected Duke 3D, Doom2 and Dark Forces as examples. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on. Might it be an interrupt, could it be the sound/midi combination causing an issue or something else? Should I try using a boot disk as opposed to DOS within Windows?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some HDDs have a more noticeable thermal recalibrate than others, could that be it?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 3, by gridrunner-xy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, thanks for posting. mm, I did wonder about the SSD and whether there's something kind of 'unit attention' pause thing going on here. Does anyone see anything similar with SSDs and the usual SATA/IDE bridges? Because the whole machine lags, video and sound it has to be something that's causing the processor to wait..

Reply 3 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWE64 cards have some MPU-401 bugs that can cause certain games to stutter during MIDI playback. See here: Sound Blaster 16 Bugs and Deficiencies Summary

Try using the AWE32 mode for music instead of General MIDI and see if that gets rid of the problem.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi