VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm getting a collection of these inexpensive games going.

So far I have the following Win9x games that don't work in Windows 10

Where in the USA is Carmen SanDiego (1999)
Master of Orion II
Forgotten Realms The Archives Collection III
Forgotten Realms Archives: Silver Collection
Oregon Trail 5th edition (2005)
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VII

Here's what's really weird. There is an Oregon Trail 5th edition (2008) on ebay that is a "gold" edition of some kind. The year is different, so it is really effectively a 6th edition. Gaming industry, please don't label things that way, it is so crappy. I'll get it shortly.

Final Fantasy VII has been remade and Final Fantasy VIII remastered.

Last edited by dnewhous on 2021-07-02, 19:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What Windows version?

There are a few.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dnewhous wrote on 2021-07-02, 05:28:

Mobygames categorizes Windows compatibility as simply "Windows" as it should be.

What Windows version are you actually trying to run the games on?

Win 3.1, Win 95a, Win 95b, Win95c, NT 4, Win2k Pro,XP Home, XP Pro, Vista, Win 7, Win8, Win 8.1, Win 10, Review of Win 11?

Or the verious emulators or VMs.

Also are there any errors etc. What are they doing when they fail..........

You know, stuff that will help us help you out.

Reply 4 of 28, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

O, I'm sorry. Windows 10. But they're coming out with Windows 11 soon and maybe they'll fix some issues. Jetfighter 4 works fine in Windows 10. The problem with those simulators is it is a pain to look for a set of rudder pedals to use.

I trade between DOSBox and DOSBox -X for DOS emulation. DOSBox is less buggy but lacks advanced audio.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 5 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dnewhous wrote on 2021-07-02, 06:34:

O, I'm sorry. Windows 10. But they're coming out with Windows 11 soon and maybe they'll fix some issues. Jetfighter 4 works fine in Windows 10. The problem with those simulators is it is a pain to look for a set of rudder pedals to use.

I trade between DOSBox and DOSBox -X for DOS emulation. DOSBox is less buggy but lacks advanced audio.

Thanks. There's bound to be someone who can assist. I have old kit to run old games on and just started to have a play with DosBox.

Reply 6 of 28, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dnewhous wrote on 2021-07-02, 03:31:

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VII

These are not Windows 3.x games. They were designed for Windows 9x and above.

Your thread title is misleading.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 28, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if compatibility with windows 10 has been tested before and there are already lists out there, probably

meanwhile a complete list of games for windows 3.x would be good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_3.x_games

is one useful starter

and many of these are win 32 compatible anyway

Reply 9 of 28, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dnewhous wrote on 2021-07-02, 08:45:

History is judging that so called Win 9x games appear to actually have Win 3.x compatibility.

Then try running one of the aforementioned Final Fantasy games on Win 3.x and let us know how that goes.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 10 of 28, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

History is judging that so called Win 9x games appear to actually have Win 3.x compatibility.

It's the other way. Windows 9x can run (almost) all Windows 3.x software. There are few Windows 9x games than run on Windows 3.1, and that's after installing Win32s and offering a goat as a sacrifice.

I can not say much about the other games on your list, but both Final Fantasy are DirectX games so they need at least Windows 95 (DirectX can not be installed on Windows 3.x).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 11 of 28, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

k, the only thing that says Windows 3.x is a "scholastic clubs and fairs" version of Where in the USA is Carmen SanDiego (1999). The rest are Windows 9x versions, according to the packaging. That's more work for Moby Games.

Last edited by dnewhous on 2021-07-02, 17:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 12 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Still wouldn't make them Windows 3.x games.
Please fix the title! All Windows 3.x games play on Windows - it says so in the name!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 28, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll bite . Are you referring to a few Windows 9x games in particular or is that meant to be a general statement ?
Do you have any examples/evidence to back up that affirmation ?
Other than possibly some WIN32S-compatible games that rely solely on GDI or WinG for graphics output and may have been officially specced as being Windows 9x compatible only (but could be run under Windows 3.1), I don't see how many scenarios where a Windows 9x-only marketed game would work under Windows 3.x . Of course, there may well have been games designed for Windows 3.x but marketed as Windows 9x only due to dumb self-defeating marketing, but that is another story (and probably not very common either).
Let us know if you get DirectX/Direct3D and OpenGL working under Windows 3.x . 😉

By the way, tech specs on the Mobygames specify the version of Windows initially supported :
https://www.mobygames.com/game/final-fantasy-viii/techinfo
https://www.mobygames.com/game/final-fantasy-vii/techinfo

Reply 14 of 28, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oregon Trail with the year 2005 should have worked. It stalls on Quicktime install. Which means it is kind of primitive. You don't use Quicktime for your cut scenes, you use DirectShow.

I'm talking about Win 9x games in general. They don't work with Windows anymore. But there's debate on what "platforms" to make official at Mobygames.

Last edited by dnewhous on 2021-07-03, 03:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 15 of 28, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote on 2021-07-02, 20:02:

Oregon Trail with the year 2005 should have worked. It stalls on Quicktime install. Which means it is kind of primitive. You don't use Quicktime for your cut scenes, you use DirectShow.

Do you have some more info on that release ? I can't find a 2005 release of Oregon Trail on Mobygames or Google .

EDIT: If you are referring to https://www.mobygames.com/game/oregon-trail-5 … dition/techinfo , that game is from 2001, not 2005 .

EDIT : That game requires Directx 8.0 to be installed . See https://web.archive.org/web/20020107162750/ht … 19533&printer=1

EDIT : Please do explain why you believe this game should have worked on Windows 3.1 .

Reply 16 of 28, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-07-02, 20:11:
dnewhous wrote on 2021-07-02, 20:02:

EDIT: If you are referring to https://www.mobygames.com/game/oregon-trail-5 … dition/techinfo , that game is from 2001, not 2005 .

That's it! Mine is a yellow label CD.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 17 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote on 2021-07-02, 09:28:

[..] here are few Windows 9x games than run on Windows 3.1,
and that's after installing Win32s and offering a goat as a sacrifice. [..]

Oh, no! Not Toriel! 😳

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 28, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Master of Orion 2 runs well under Windows 10.
Just copy the missing dplay.dll in the game directory to start "orion95.exe".
https://www.furrywelt.de/wp-content/uploads/2 … fOrion2_Fix.zip

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 19 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quicktime was never that great on Windows IIRC. Quite inconsistent on whether it would install or not. I avoided anything that relied on it.