Reply 21 of 44, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2020-08-17, 16:40:

you may want to try this one
https://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-32x/black … meShotId,35395/
it has a few more levels

Thanks! I was aware of the 32X version, was just curious to see the Macintosh one. This game seems to be a pain to get running as I couldn't even find youtube videos about it...

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 22 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone at Emaculation just pointed out that Mace, a relatively new contender, was just updated to work with Warcraft. Or work better, anyway.
https://mace.software/news/

Reply 23 of 44, by Green200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ajacocks wrote on 2020-08-13, 15:43:

Actually, Mini vMac's Mac II emulation is excellent. It's officially beta, but it works really well. I've tried at least Prince of Persia 1 on it, and it ran great.

https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/dnld_mii.html

- Alex

yep, MAC Mini user here. the new 64 bit O/S is a pain in the back, though. I occasionally over time remember how to install DBGL. but I forgot it again. Part o the reason is each New Update to the Mac O/S, changes everything. what once a month for another update.

a mac is just a big pain in the back!

Reply 24 of 44, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Green200 wrote on 2020-09-28, 14:12:

a mac is just a big pain in the back!

That's sad to hear, really. 😢
- I fled from WinX to Raspbian, but look for a platform I could permanently switch to (I don't like ARM anymore now since it became a dancer of Nvidia).
I hoped, that macOS, at least, is a safe harbor, at least.
You know, the big three are Win,Mac, Linux.
Niche OSes like RISCOS, AROS, BSD, Minix 3 and Oberon are cool, but you can't even use them for an 4th grader's homework. 😑

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 25 of 44, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I firstly downloaded mac emulators in 2007 but it was difficult to me to make them work. I did manage to run basilisk but I didn't like the result. I didn't know anything about mac gaming since then and now I am Mac fanatic with 6 retro Macs. Lot of Mac games are technically better than other formats. For instance Blackthorne has greater graphics and music directly from CD. Prince of Persia 1 and 2 have also better graphics with hires resolution. Flashback, Doom, Heretic, Monkey Island, Dark Forces etc. have better graphics and sound. On the other hand there are lot of dos games that support the amazing roland and general midi sound. I feel that it's difficult to have a good result with Mac emulation. The feeling of using a real computer is great.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 26 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2020-10-23, 17:13:

I did manage to run basilisk but I didn't like the result.

What didn't you like about it?

Lot of Mac games are technically better than other formats.

There's a thread for those:
Which games are better on a Macintosh?

For instance Blackthorne has greater graphics and music directly from CD. Prince of Persia 1 and 2 have also better graphics with hires resolution. Flashback, Doom, Heretic, Monkey Island, Dark Forces etc. have better graphics and sound.

Fortunately some of those can be played on other platforms without a full Macintosh emulator.

Reply 27 of 44, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-03, 18:30:
That's sad to hear, really. :depressed: - I fled from WinX to Raspbian, but look for a platform I could permanently switch to (I […]
Show full quote

That's sad to hear, really. 😢
- I fled from WinX to Raspbian, but look for a platform I could permanently switch to (I don't like ARM anymore now since it became a dancer of Nvidia).
I hoped, that macOS, at least, is a safe harbor, at least.
You know, the big three are Win,Mac, Linux.
Niche OSes like RISCOS, AROS, BSD, Minix 3 and Oberon are cool, but you can't even use them for an 4th grader's homework. 😑

You are aware future Apple computers will be ARM based, right?

Reply 28 of 44, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

incredibly the best 68k emulator is for the Commodore Amiga and not for PC
is called Fusion, last version is 3.2,
also there is a DOS version of this emulator but very buggy and lack lot of functions
almost all 68k MAC games works perfect there

for windows : you have to run the Amiga emulator WINUAE ,set yourself a hardisk installation and then under winuae and a Workbench 3.x installation you can run FUSION 3.2
too complicated if you don't know anything about Amiga /emulation

in windows the best emulator is Basilisk II but some games don't works fine there like Prince of persia 2 have which have severe music/sound issues

Reply 30 of 44, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-01-31, 03:14:

Are you suggesting that Prince of Persia 2 runs better under Fusion in UAE than it does in either Fusion in DOSBox, or in Basilisk II in Windows?

yes,
the Amiga version of Fusion is fantastic
prince of persia 2 works on basilisk II in windows but there are sound issues during the game, the music stop etc

on the other way FUSION DOS version works on dosbox or PCEM but is very slow there and is not usable
you need fast real hardware to run fusion dos ie mininum pentium 3/ or athlon 1ghz + 64mb ram + real soundblaster

Reply 31 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Laser wrote on 2021-07-01, 10:56:
the Amiga version of Fusion is fantastic prince of persia 2 works on basilisk II in windows but there are sound issues during th […]
Show full quote

prince of persia 2 works on basilisk II in windows but there are sound issues during the game, the music stop etc

on the other way FUSION DOS version works on dosbox or PCEM but is very slow there and is not usable
you need fast real hardware to run fusion dos ie mininum pentium 3/ or athlon 1ghz + 64mb ram + real soundblaster

That might have been "fast hardware" 20 years ago, but that's hardly the situation anymore.

Are you saying that even if you're using UAE, the Amiga version of Fusion will run on a much slower PC?

Reply 32 of 44, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2021-07-01, 17:24:
the Amiga version of Fusion is fantastic prince of persia 2 works on basilisk II in windows but there are sound issues during th […]
Show full quote

That might have been "fast hardware" 20 years ago, but that's hardly the situation anymore.

Are you saying that even if you're using UAE, the Amiga version of Fusion will run on a much slower PC?

Nothing wrong with that. Amiga people were always 10+ years behind.. 😉

Seriously though, I suppose he/she meant that a Pentium 3 is a very fast/very hifh-end computer for MS-DOS..
From what I remember, my family's P3 was a 750MHz model, with 128MB RAM (initially).
Which at the time, seemed totally overkill for MS-DOS 6.2x era software.
(The PC was built for Windows 98SE, btw.)
Except maybe for Impulse Tracker and AdLib Tracker - some songs are really grotesquely demanding! 😰

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 34 of 44, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-07-02, 16:31:
Nothing wrong with that. Amiga people were always 10+ years behind.. ;) […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote on 2021-07-01, 17:24:
Show full quote

Nothing wrong with that. Amiga people were always 10+ years behind.. 😉

Seriously though, I suppose he/she meant that a Pentium 3 is a very fast/very hifh-end computer for MS-DOS..
From what I remember, my family's P3 was a 750MHz model, with 128MB RAM (initially).
Which at the time, seemed totally overkill for MS-DOS 6.2x era software.
(The PC was built for Windows 98SE, btw.)
Except maybe for Impulse Tracker and AdLib Tracker - some songs are really grotesquely demanding! 😰

yep the athlons k7 and the pentium 3 were done in for the win98 /winme era

but to get an idea of what Im talking about fast hardware
Fusion 3.0 dos mac emulator needs aprox an athlon 700mhz or pentium 3 of 700 ghz to emulate a 68040/25hz , think about a quadra 950 which was some top MAC 68k model , the fastest mac models had a 6840/40mhz

today in 2021
DOSBOX or PCEM in windows don't reach 700 ghz speed in dos mode not even close, not even having you a core i9 11900kF which is the faster cpu today in single core for 32 bits apps
so to run fusion at descent speed you need an old but fast DOS computer capable to use some old soundblaster

here is a link to download fusion dos emul if anyone wanna try it
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/1176-fusion-pc-3-0

Reply 35 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Laser wrote on 2021-07-06, 13:01:

pentium 3 of 700 ghz

Now that's a fast machine.

Anyway, Fusion for DOS is readily available (see for instance https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/fusion ) but at this point I am much more interested in this Amiga version that is supposedly superior.

Reply 36 of 44, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-07-06, 15:00:
Laser wrote on 2021-07-06, 13:01:

pentium 3 of 700 ghz

Now that's a fast machine.

Anyway, Fusion for DOS is readily available (see for instance https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/fusion ) but at this point I am much more interested in this Amiga version that is supposedly superior.

well you can run Amiga fusion 3.2 which is the last version in winuae,
you must first create a Workbench 3.x hardisk installation there, then install fusion in such hardisk, then configure fusion etc

if you are newbie on the Amiga scene and you feel is too complicated I recommend you become a member of the EAB forum
https://eab.abime.net
you are going to find lot of help there if you ask quietly and slowly

Reply 37 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Laser wrote on 2021-07-06, 16:38:

if you are newbie on the Amiga scene and you feel is too complicated I recommend you become a member of the EAB forum
https://eab.abime.net
you are going to find lot of help there if you ask quietly and slowly

I bought Amiga Forever several years ago when it was on sale, so configuring UAE is not a concern. But the search box in the corner does not suggest a download link for Fusion.
https://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?find=fusion&x=0&y=0

Anyway, isn't AROS available now as a free alternative to Workbench?

Reply 39 of 44, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to run very old 68K B&W Software on a PM6100 in emulation? Is there an emulator out there that works on 7.5.x PPC and let us run OS6.x speed sensitive software in B&W?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines