VOGONS

First post, by vinsoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Guys,

this is my first post. i really need help with instructions Step by Step.
to be honest i visited many websites but the information were completely scattered and incomprehensible.
i am trying to build win98 version with some stuff to fix (like fdisk, Ram, Hard Drive, latest softwares and etc.) everything i mentioned i wanna nject or add to my own build.
after i download the patches what are the first step should i take and the tools i have to use for this....
maybe i am asking too much and i know its not easy as nlite for XP and later versions, but i need to know this.

Thanks in Advance

A.M

Reply 1 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First you need to decide what system specs you are going to install in on. Also remember there are two version Win98 and Win98 for "special" people... 😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 5, by vinsoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-04, 09:00:

First you need to decide what system specs you are going to install in on. Also remember there are two version Win98 and Win98 for "special" people... 😉

2 machines... 4GB-8GB RAM Pentium 3 - i5 processor

Reply 3 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

4GB-8GB of ram is way too much for windows 98. Nothing made for it will even benefit from it. As a 32-bit OS, the max it could theoritically support is 3.xGB. Now, with the way it's made, the absolute max is theoritically 2GB iirc, and in reality the max (without unofficial patches) is between 512MB and 1GB.

A core i5 would be new as well. Remember this OS is unsupported since 2006, this predates the core ix by a matter of 3 or 5 years. Best you can do is a core 2 duo, and even that is really hard and may not work very well. The best you can do is pentium 3 era/early/mid pentium 4 era.

Basically, anything made between 1995 and 2003 should work ok with windows 98 with a few exceptions. Before and after that, you'll start to encounter some trouble.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vinsoftware wrote on 2021-07-04, 08:36:

this is my first post. i really need help with instructions Step by Step.
to be honest i visited many websites but the information were completely scattered and incomprehensible.

Can you provide some links to the sites you found to be "incomprehensible"? That way people won't waste time writing more stuff you find "incomprehensible".