VOGONS

First post, by chilun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in a gateway 2000 p5-75 that I had acquired recently through eBay. I can't seem to get hold of the motherboard spec for the 430fx and I'm struggling to get some clarification on what CPU's are supported . I've done some scouting through the inter webs, but I'm not entirely sure which route to go down as some builders suggested using a Pentium overdrive (which I find are expensive at present as there are not too many about in Europe), but I have also seen some forum posts where some people are going with a p133 as an upgrade to their p75. At present the machine has a p100 socket 5, which has a heat sink securely stuck on with some thermal paste (no CPU fan).

Does anyone have any knowledge of this motherboard as I'd like to know where to locate the jumper block to adjust the frequency/voltage as my focus would be on upgrading the CPU to the fastest the board can support? Support for mmx CPU's would be nice, but i don't know if the board is capable of doing so. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this:
g2k1204.jpg

Is your MB then it looks a lot like Intels own "Advanced ZP" board as seen here:
Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide
http://tulrich.com/tectrixvr/intel_pba-638995_manual.pdf

And that suggests p120 as max.
But if it supports 2x60 in the p120 and 1.5x66 in the p100 i see no reason it should have any problems with 2x66 and a p133.
No MMX tho, you need to go overdrive for that.

But IMO there is no reason to go to far with hardware like this.
No amount of upgrades will make it fast enough to compete with a generation newer hardware.
So you might as well enjoy it in its original form =)
Just my €0.02

Reply 2 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's got 66 and 2x and is saying 120 Max then anticipate that it is core current/wattage limited and the regulator is going to need extra cooling.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 4, by chilun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great, thank you very much for the responses guys, for me the cmos battery is in the top-right hand corner of the board, but the placement of the slots, CPU socket etc are in the exact same place as seen in @bofh.fromhell's photo. It looks like I'll stick with the p100, now to look for a voodoo 1 card 😀