VOGONS

First post, by Tracks20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, new here.

I tried doing a search on Warcraft II, but I was unable to find the answer to my questions. If anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it.

I have successfully mounted my CDROM drive. (On my computer it's drive E).

What I can't figure out is the step where I would type the following:

E: cd (name of disk)

When I go to My Computer, it appears that the disk is called "WARCRAFT2." But when I tried to use that in the space above, it doesn't accept it.

I want to play this game so bad......can anyone provide some guidance? Thank you.

Reply 1 of 12, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try looking at Help with Warcraft 2? from the Dosbox Guides Section.
If the link doesn't work go to the Dosbox Guides Forum and then "60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox"

Reply 2 of 12, by Tracks20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to follow what this page says:

60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

I created on my C Drive a folder called "DOSBox Stuff" and a folder in that calle "Mygame"

Then why I try to mount c C:\DOSBoxstuff\Mygame it tells me that it doesn't exist.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You probably created it somewhere else than in C:\.

Where did you create it?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 12, by Tracks20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I got it to work! Thanks for your help.

I think it must have been a problem with the spacing of how I was typing it in DOSBox.

It's a tad choppy, but after a few minutes of playing I don't even notice it anymore. I was afraid I'd never get to play this game again. Thanks!

Reply 9 of 12, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, as far as I know Warcraft 2 works wonderfully on 0.65. Just remember to set cycles to auto and core to dynamic. Don't use too cpu intensive scalers and keep the resolution original.

This should keep Warcraft 2 run smooth. The cinematics will be choppy though. If you're not using a frontend then I recommend the CVS 0.66 version of DOSBox. The auto cycles feature of this DOSBox is better and more stable, it also runs faster.

As for the spacing problem a frontend solves this entirly, D.O.G. 1.53 even supports real DOSBox shortnames, zips and 7-zips. But doesn't as of yet support the DOSBox CVS 0.66 entirely.
( sorry for the commercial. 🙄 )

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 10 of 12, by Tracks20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^^^To be honest, I'm not really sure what all that stuff means 🙁

I'm not familiar with much of what you recommended, but perhaps I can read up on it.

As it is, I'm just hitting CNTRL+F12 to speed up the game, and it seems to work pretty well. After a few minutes, I don't even notice that it's a bit choppy. I'm just happy to be playing this game again.

Reply 11 of 12, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I recommend you read through the dosbox.conf file in the DOSBox directory. Use the Windows Notepad or a similar program to open the file.

Read every line in the conf file and then you'll know what I was talking about. The conf file shows all features in DOSBox.

To really get to know DOSBox then I would recommend using a frontend. I would recommend D.O.G. Setup DOSBox (DOSBox versions). Setup your game (New Profile) and then do a right click on the profile in the list and select "View conf file". Then when altering the options in the profile (Edit profile), you can see what happens in the conf file.

Have fun,

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc