VOGONS

First post, by GasparB123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I have an old Pentium III PC that was thrown away by a friend of mine. I'm from Argentina, and there are many people passing through a rough economic patch, who need basic computers for text editing or light web navigation, and I'm trying my best to revive these old boys and give them to less fortunate people.

The question is, what OS do I go for??

Win9x in general works fine, but it's futile trying to go online. Windows 2000 works fine enough, and XP I think isn't the best option. I think Linux might be the way to go, but there are so many distros, that I don't know where to start.

Does anyone know a Linux distro or any custom OS that they know works ok on similar hardware, or could at least theoretically work ok on this machine??

Pentium III 933Mhz
512MB of PC133 RAM
SiS 530/630 integrated graphics

Reply 1 of 34, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reading a old post (2011 https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2353055 ) the solutios is one of this distro

SliTaz
ZenWalk
antiX
Puppy Linux
Macpup
VectorLinux

Obviously not the latest version.
But you have to test them

Reply 2 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium IIIs can run any 32-bit modern distro...😉
the 32-bit version Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 It's a full featured distro so you wont have to install anything apart from updates initially. Was you have got the hang of it you can add othe programs...😉 It will run on 512meg if ram but is advisable to get more installed at some point.

https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=37

The 32-bit version of BunsenLibs Lithium is a smaller install but you have access to a wide variety of Debian 32-bit applications that LMDE 4 has access to.

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html

I am currently run Devuan Jessie on my current project, a AMD K6-2 400 witch 256megs of ram and that boots up to the desktop in 1.5 It just when to archive statis round the middle of the year. Devuans' current 32-bit distro is BeoWolf an it should run fine on your system as well...😉 It is also sysvini based and not systemd based.

https://www.devuan.org/

Attachments

• 20130104_023704.jpg
    Filename
    20130104_023704.jpg
    File size
    387.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 34, by GasparB123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dataino.it wrote on 2021-07-07, 22:23:
Reading a old post (2011 https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2353055 ) the solutios is one of this distro […]
Show full quote

Reading a old post (2011 https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2353055 ) the solutios is one of this distro

SliTaz
ZenWalk
antiX
Puppy Linux
Macpup
VectorLinux

Obviously not the latest version.
But you have to test them

Thanks I'll take a look at this list 😀

Reply 4 of 34, by GasparB123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-07, 22:51:
Pentium IIIs can run any 32-bit modern distro...;) the 32-bit version Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 It's a full featured distro so […]
Show full quote

the 32-bit version Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 It's a full featured distro so you wont have to install anything apart from updates initially. Was you have got the hang of it you can add othe programs...😉 It will run on 512meg if ram but is advisable to get more installed at some point.

The 32-bit version of BunsenLibs Lithium is a smaller install but you have access to a wide variety of Debian 32-bit applications that LMDE 4 has access to.

I am currently run Devuan Jessie on my current project, a AMD K6-2 400 witch 256megs of ram and that boots up to the desktop in 1.5 It just when to archive statis round the middle of the year. Devuans' current 32-bit distro is BeoWolf an it should run fine on your system as well...😉 It is also sysvini based and not systemd based.

Thanks a lot for this info, I'll try some of these distros and get back to you. I also have a AMD K6-2 500AF with 328MB of RAM that could work great if it runs on a lesser processor and less RAM in your case

Reply 5 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Th

GasparB123 wrote on 2021-07-08, 00:01:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-07, 22:51:
Pentium IIIs can run any 32-bit modern distro...;) the 32-bit version Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 It's a full featured distro so […]
Show full quote

Thanks a lot for this info, I'll try some of these distros and get back to you. I also have a AMD K6-2 500AF with 328MB of RAM that could work great if it runs on a lesser processor and less RAM in your case

You are most welcome...😉 The forums in all those distros I mentioned are fantastic rtw to helping help and would be far far knowledgeable than I would. Im fixed on Debian based Distros these days. Red Hat is far more enterprise focused imho

Remember it's all about the source Luke....😉

Reply 7 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-07-08, 03:07:

I'm going to throw open Suse into the mix. I've been using Suse since 7.3 it's a fantastic distribution easy to setup and use and crazy stable.

SuSE 7.2 still had 486DX support when most distros were or had dropped 486DX support. SuSE had fantastic support documentation back then....😀

Attachments

• 20130104_131441.jpg
    Filename
    20130104_131441.jpg
    File size
    764.89 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 34, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it did I still have all my Suse boxes,books, and CDs/DVDs safely stored away. Even though they don't have proper books Suse still has great documentation so I've printed it all out and have it neatly sorted in three ring binders for easy reference and reading.

Reply 9 of 34, by GasparB123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-07-08, 03:07:

I'm going to throw open Suse into the mix. I've been using Suse since 7.3 it's a fantastic distribution easy to setup and use and crazy stable.

Would the newest version still support a Pentium III?? Or would I have to look back to an earlier version??

Reply 11 of 34, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

32bit linux is cool but its important to remember that the multimedia extensions of pentium III are way behind even pentium 4's so not all apps will work and forget HD video acceleration unless there are solutions that engage the mid to high range AGP / PCIE gpu than the cpu doing the work.
When i run windows xp on my pentium III's many apps will install but hang without for example MMX v2 or SSE V2 it would be cool if there was a pure pentium III software catalog to look up in general as well as earlier and later cpu's for app / game compatibility. These extensions are mainly used for web advertisements and spyware and little used in comparison for real work or play. Thus I think these extensions are abused mostly and mostly a gimmick to steer away their core performace critics.
XP is like a windows 2000 MKII but with support for later cpu extensions that pentium 3 cannot run.
Thus for guaranteed 100% support everything windows 2000 and windows 2000 itself would be the best windows version for pentium III.
Those unofficial kernel extensions only good for pentium 4 class instructions. (probably why i only see them for xp and above)
Looking into my imagination I am thinking MMX SSE V2, 3, 4 etc plugin to translate more modern instrucions for the pentium III or below core to utilise but slower? then it be a multi cpu recommended feature ...

Reply 13 of 34, by GasparB123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-07-08, 21:24:

It should be fine but it could be a little slow. How much ram are you going to put into the system and what speed P3 are you going to run?

It's a 933Mhz Pentium III, and I'm trying to find 1GB of PC133 RAM (2x512), but for the moment it runs 512MB (2x256).

Reply 14 of 34, by GasparB123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-07-08, 22:15:

Upgrade to 1 gig or more of RAM and use Debian XFCE. Also upgrade the graphics if possible.

The thing is PC133 doesn't go higher than 1GB I believe, and 512MB sticks are very hard to find by. Even if a find two of them, I hope the motherboard supports it. And it's even harder to find PCI graphics cards.

Reply 15 of 34, by GasparB123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-08, 21:28:
32bit linux is cool but its important to remember that the multimedia extensions of pentium III are way behind even pentium 4's […]
Show full quote

32bit linux is cool but its important to remember that the multimedia extensions of pentium III are way behind even pentium 4's so not all apps will work and forget HD video acceleration unless there are solutions that engage the mid to high range AGP / PCIE gpu than the cpu doing the work.
When i run windows xp on my pentium III's many apps will install but hang without for example MMX v2 or SSE V2 it would be cool if there was a pure pentium III software catalog to look up in general as well as earlier and later cpu's for app / game compatibility. These extensions are mainly used for web advertisements and spyware and little used in comparison for real work or play. Thus I think these extensions are abused mostly and mostly a gimmick to steer away their core performace critics.
XP is like a windows 2000 MKII but with support for later cpu extensions that pentium 3 cannot run.
Thus for guaranteed 100% support everything windows 2000 and windows 2000 itself would be the best windows version for pentium III.
Those unofficial kernel extensions only good for pentium 4 class instructions. (probably why i only see them for xp and above)
Looking into my imagination I am thinking MMX SSE V2, 3, 4 etc plugin to translate more modern instrucions for the pentium III or below core to utilise but slower? then it be a multi cpu recommended feature ...

All I'm looking for is basic web browsing and Office like programs. Many kids and families have smartphones with which to watch videos, and assist to virtual classes. The objective is to give them a dirt cheap computer so they can type their homework on a keyboard, or see information on a bigger screen rather than something as small as a smartphone. And I think these type of computers can deliver on that.

Reply 17 of 34, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GasparB123 wrote on 2021-07-08, 22:30:
32bit linux is cool but its important to remember that the multimedia extensions of pentium III are way behind even pentium 4's […]
Show full quote

All I'm looking for is basic web browsing and Office like programs. Many kids and families have smartphones with which to watch videos, and assist to virtual classes. The objective is to give them a dirt cheap computer so they can type their homework on a keyboard, or see information on a bigger screen rather than something as small as a smartphone. And I think these type of computers can deliver on that.

Open Office is great for homework and projects comes in almost alll generations of pc's web browsers struggle with video and scripts because pentium III era and few newer didn't have very fancy extensions and gpu's and relied on the cpu more thus low res videos would need to be selected.

Reply 18 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GasparB123 wrote on 2021-07-08, 22:30:
Show full quote

If I can do I that on an AMD K6-2 400 system with 256megs of ram using a recently archived Linux version you definitely can on on a modern 32-bit Linux distro on your P3 933 plus system...😉

Reply 19 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am making this post and attaching below from my AMD K2-6 system now...😉

Attachments

• K6_2_400screenshot.png
    Filename
    K6_2_400screenshot.png
    File size
    94 KiB
    Views
    File license