VOGONS

Reply 60 of 89, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first dual CPU rig was a dual PPro 200 server I built around 2000 or so. I also ran RC versions of Win2k on it before it was actually released and loved the performance, eventually buying 2 PPro overdrives for it (kept the original boxes for them too).

Not everybody builds a retro machine for gaming.

Anyway over the years I have purchased some Dual P1,P2, P3 (slot and socket varieties), Athlon MP, XEON, and Opteron boards as either main rigs or just to play around with for fun and the boards/CPUs were pretty cheap at the time. About the only one I wanted and never had was a dual Slot-2 XEON with that massive CPUs because they were never that easy to find cheap.

These days you can get as many cores as you want so buying dual socket boards is pretty much for data centers. Having a dual Opteron single core system (as an example) is more for tinkering then doing anything serious. The AGP Pro slots as nice for messing with old era CAD cards.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 61 of 89, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-06-25, 06:11:
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-25, 06:06:

Remember facing huge lags when running file sharing software while trying to play fps games back in the early 2000s?
Would that have been mitigated by a second CPU?

Were the FPS games being played against online oponents ?

Yes, but

If so, the blame would likely haven fallen on limited upload bandwidth combined with lack of QOS .

we would limit the upload bandwidth for file sharing clients and the ping was always fine when another family member was filesharing on their PC.

Reply 62 of 89, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about we do a stock benchmark on our own pentium III setups just to give ideas to each other what we can do to improve our rigs?
Usually I am the little one 😀

I edited this that theres not just dual's being mentioned lately 🤣

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-07-13, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 63 of 89, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love a good dick measuring contest, AND I get to be the big spoon?

Sign me up.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-06-29, 00:37. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 65 of 89, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-06-25, 17:44:

How about we do a stock benchmark on our own dual pentium III setups just to give ideas to each other what we can do to improve our rigs?

Ok name the benchmark

Reply 66 of 89, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both of my dual systems were actually cheaper with the same features of most of my single systems so thats why I have them. Probably they only thing my Dual systems dont do well is overclock and I dont care to do that to my retro systems anyway.

One is a 440GX P3 with coppermine support and the other is a 440FX. If I want them to run more like my single slot systems I just put a terminator board in the 2nd slot.

Reply 67 of 89, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-06-25, 21:06:
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-06-25, 17:44:

How about we do a stock benchmark on our own dual pentium III setups just to give ideas to each other what we can do to improve our rigs?

Ok name the benchmark

A safe offering of industry adopted retro benchmarks period correct:

https://benchmarks.ul.com/legacy-benchmarks

Heres a compatable info tool for the hardware list report:

CPU-Z http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.63-32bits-en.zip

Benchmark requirements:

Test OS would be of course something NT
PCMARK 2002 would be the best one for pentium 3 as windows 2000 and XP driver support strongest for that era (XP is best for DOS box and multimedia signed driver availability)
3DMARK 03 would be best for Pentium 3 AGP on 2000 and xp (05 & later would be best for socket 478 & 775 systems as it uses later direct x features and Most of PCIE of more modern GPU's)
System boot disk should be either simple or RAID boot by BIOS of the motherboard controller or addon card unless theres a SATA card installed due to lack of PATA Disks (they aren't rare they are scalpers stocks)
Doesn't have to be period correct whatsoever what we have is what we got.
Then everyone who says "should I" will see our pride and joy and decide if they can get a thrill forking out the money.

Reply 68 of 89, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyhow in PC MARK 05 the score for my system is 1269 points with all tests selected. It was XP installed got me to use this bench.
Being 1st generation multimedia extensions supported only I am not really surprised with this result (It didn't crash and being so old I am proud of my work and I know Pentium 4 would blow it away). Benching with latest possible bench gives a more real look in comparison with later architecture.

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-07-22, 11:00. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 69 of 89, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For absolutely no reason whatsoever, I might be joining the fray in a month or two, other things on the go first, but I realised the other day I have 2 sets of 2 identical slotkets, a pair of 1Ghz PIIIs and a P2B-D board sitting in a box (might need repairs) so it's hard to resist giving it a go. I might be thinking of trying OS2 warp or higher, since that is supposed to support multiple cores and allow multitasking of 3x stuff and presumably anything fully compliant with windoze api. I guess one has to have XP for demi-modern trials, but I think I would also have to stick a linux on it to see what it's useful for. Back in the day, the only ppl screwing around with duals seemed to be those with photoshop or rendering interests. Though there was the odd linux head who wanted one core to compile on and one core to carry on working.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 73 of 89, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yessir!

https://imgur.com/a/Z2Qg1bv

I did get 16GB of ram for it. ^.^ I just need to find a proper case. All my super-towers don't have a spot to hold the memory card.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 77 of 89, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got my or840 around 2004. It was still pretty strong until core 2s came ou, around 2006. Thats when I retired it. But I been meaning to rebuild it for awhile now, I just have too many other projects. It runs pretty good with 2003 server xp lited and stripped down to the bare services and gui. It's still fast enough to web browse in 2021 even if its just a little slow loading pages.

I have actually a super duper video card I want to use in it, but suspect it has some bad ddr modules on it. If I'm ever able to fix the card I'll rebuild it.

its one of these. ELSA GLoria II-Pro - 333MHz DDR
http://vgamuseum.info/images/vlask/nvidia/quadroddru.jpg

Reply 78 of 89, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2021-07-08, 23:21:

yessir!

https://imgur.com/a/Z2Qg1bv

I did get 16GB of ram for it. ^.^ I just need to find a proper case. All my super-towers don't have a spot to hold the memory card.

Afraid that beast is a stretch, even for my piddling little SC830P4 - you'll need to get yourself some SC850 goodness 😀

Pedestal Matrix.png
Filename
Pedestal Matrix.png
File size
159.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 79 of 89, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2021-07-08, 22:53:

I also have a quad P3-900 as well. I've been meaning to find a case for it.

You just had my heart stopping for a second there by omitting the "Xeon" part. My brain short circuited in an "is there a thing like quad P3" line of thoughts 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀