VOGONS

Misterious ENMIC motherboard

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 48, by kyubby1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-07-07, 16:29:

There's a bunch of different AWE32 models but I don't think there's a modern clone or replica of any, sorry. The problem with AWE replicas and clones is the custom chips Creative used.
The closest thing may be the AWE64 Gold project. AWE64 Legacy

cool projekt, however the reason WHY i hoped for a replica is couse of the modern ebay pricetag of the AWE32.
100 - 200 € not that common but definatly not rare
200 - 300 € common
300 € + not as common, but common
My little Win98se Box can turn out well, but i dont want to pay 200 € for it.
when everything works as it should, i got a pretty cool Win98se computer for 13- 16 €
And the entire money just goes to the fact that i need a graphics card (a geforce2 ti in my case, SHOULD be good i think)
Sooooooooo that projekt isnt gonna work for me, but still thanks for the tip 😁

Reply 21 of 48, by kyubby1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-07-07, 16:29:

There's a bunch of different AWE32 models but I don't think there's a modern clone or replica of any, sorry. The problem with AWE replicas and clones is the custom chips Creative used.
The closest thing may be the AWE64 Gold project. AWE64 Legacy

turns out i dont even have to
As explained in the last post of mine, it is a little bit to pricey for me buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut i searched for a AWE64 and it turns out finding these isnt as overpriced.
Well it is but i found one for 20€, Yeeeeees

Reply 22 of 48, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wholeheartedly agree on not wanting to pay triple (or even mid double) digits for retro hardware!👍 And you already found the AWE64 for moderate 20€. Nice!
As for the CPU, it needs a 133MHz FSB. If it is unlocked you may need to set the multiplier to 10.5 in BIOS for the official 1400MHz.

Reply 24 of 48, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some Athlons have a fixed multiplier, others haven't. The 1400MHz variants are usually not locked to a fixed multiplier so with some boards you need to set the multiplier either in BIOS or via jumpers on the board. The board supports up to 5x-12.5x in 0.5x increments unmodded.

Reply 26 of 48, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kyubby1 wrote on 2021-07-07, 17:49:
so in clarity : fsb = 133 Multiplayer = 10.5 Result = fantastic 😁😁😁😁 […]
Show full quote

so in clarity :
fsb = 133
Multiplayer = 10.5
Result = fantastic 😁😁😁😁

That's the plan! 😉

Reply 29 of 48, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kyubby1 wrote on 2021-07-07, 16:39:
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy exactly what i hoped for 😁😁😁 […]
Show full quote

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy exactly what i hoped for 😁😁😁

there is one thing i dont quite understand, has nothing to do with the board but the prozessor
I am owning a bunch of different athlons however the lowest of them is a xp 2500 wich isnt supported as far as i know
so i decidet to go with the athlon that i got with it. It wasnt installed, wich is the reason why i wanted to know how to set the fsb.

My problem with the AMD Athlon A1400AMS3C isnt the prozessor itself, but that i have no idea how to set the fsb for it
And since i have no clue what i am searching for i hoped that somebody can tell

The 8KTA3+ was a bit 'interesting' when it comes to FSB:

100 vs 133MHz is set by the jumper, that CPU Host Clock Select. In BIOS you can fine-tune/overclock, but with 100MHz set by jumper the max in BIOS is 120MHz. Set it to 133MHz by jumper and you can theoretically go up to 166MHz. If you don't want to overclock/underclock, just leave BIOS on 'auto' setting and use the jumper.

Reply 30 of 48, by kyubby1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

i got good and bad news

The good news is, I got one of my heatsynks to fit 😁
Perfektly too

The bad news is, it doesnt work
Not by any means ether, even the cute little power led desnt come on.

I am really tired of this. On the one side, i want this machine to work couse well i think its interresting and i have lots of games to try out.
On the other side i dont want to extensivly scan through every single possibillity i might got something wrong only for it to just be even more broken at the end.
I am just sick of those things not working.
Socket A's are a cool bit of history, and i have a sertan nostalgika for them, couse my very first computer was a socket A
But in the end, the are just that

History

As i sad, cool history
But history numder less

I probetly be throwing it away soon.
If anyone has any idea why this couldnt have worked, even if i cant fix, i would be very happy to know.

Reply 32 of 48, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't throw it away, this was one of the best early SoA boards out there. The capacitors can be replaced, if there's no other visible damage there's a good chance (over 50%) you can get it working again.

You need to replace all the caps of the type that's bulging, and I'd also do those huge monsters near the CPU even if they're not visibly bulging. They were crap at production and after 20 years they are almost certainly electrically useless.

Reply 33 of 48, by kyubby1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But can the "faultiness" of a compassitor couse so much damage that even the power led doesnt come on ?
I dont have the biggest understanding of things at THIS level -at least not jet- but to my nowlege compassitors charge up over time so even if there are broken they should at least let the power through at 5 minutes of waiteing ?
Or is it importand having a ps/2 keyboard plugged in or otherwise it wont power ?

Oh shit i litteretly at the time of this eddit noticing something
i dont know if this is importand or not but some of the bolky compassitors have ... well "invertet bolking" can you say that ?
They have these dips wich almost looks like they have leaked onto the board.
I dont know how well you can see that on the photo and its very suttle in person at first, but you can definatly feel it
dont know if this is importand but i decidet to bring it up anyway

And as a sightnote i wont throw it away i was just a little depresset at that time

Reply 35 of 48, by kyubby1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey there

Its been a while since than, but anyways i want to change things up now couse the board itself just steals space and if dont put it to good use, its just in the way.

So right now i have 3 questions, buuuut i cant ask the last one. i'll explain shortly

So the first and most obvious one,
Where can i find persons who can fix the board or tell me the problem.
I know that this might just be a compassitor problem but i am not sure with that.
And i just dont own the equipment to manually search for problem reliebly
So are there any persons or firms really locatet in west germany that can do the stuff i am asking for ?

the second and in my mind most dumb question :
can a geforce2 - geforce4 play dos games ?
i am going to install windows 98se on this machine and it would be nice if i would be able to play at least some of my dos games on there couse at the moment at least on my pc dosbox is haaaard bullshit. It just doesnt work right or not how i expext it to.
The normal one does but not svn daun
Now gues wich version i use 😑
Anyway the 2.5 question that comes to mind just now is are thes Old geforce2 and 4 cards capeble of 3dfx ?
You know the glide stuff that some of my favorite games use and wich i can only play on dgvoodoo right now
would be reeeeeeally cool to have a system to nativly support this

and the third question i'll explain later i am running out of time so
Bye !

Reply 36 of 48, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kyubby1 wrote on 2021-07-26, 13:18:
hey there […]
Show full quote

hey there

Its been a while since than, but anyways i want to change things up now couse the board itself just steals space and if dont put it to good use, its just in the way.

So right now i have 3 questions, buuuut i cant ask the last one. i'll explain shortly

So the first and most obvious one,
Where can i find persons who can fix the board or tell me the problem.
I know that this might just be a compassitor problem but i am not sure with that.
And i just dont own the equipment to manually search for problem reliebly
So are there any persons or firms really locatet in west germany that can do the stuff i am asking for ?

Firms: undoubtedly, but would probably cost more than the board is worth.

Persons? Lots of them, but you'd have to make it worth their while. Beer would work with me, but I'm probably too far away (NL). There are several Vogons in West DE I know of, but it is a big ask from a stranger...

the second and in my mind most dumb question :
can a geforce2 - geforce4 play dos games ?
i am going to install windows 98se on this machine and it would be nice if i would be able to play at least some of my dos games on there couse at the moment at least on my pc dosbox is haaaard bullshit. It just doesnt work right or not how i expext it to.

Yes. nVidia cards from TNT to FX-series (so including Gf2 and Gf4) are some of the best cards out there for DOS, with excellent VESA support and good raw performance.

[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Anyway the 2.5 question that comes to mind just now is are thes Old geforce2 and 4 cards capeble of 3dfx ?
You know the glide stuff that some of my favorite games use and wich i can only play on dgvoodoo right now
would be reeeeeeally cool to have a system to nativly support this

Native GLide needs Voodoo cards. Other cards would need something like dgVoodoo.

You can combine a GeForce4 for DirectX, OpenGL and 2D, and add a Voodoo 2 for Glide (in fact I have exactly that setup in my Tualatin system), but that does mean getting hold of an (expensive) Voodoo 2.

Reply 37 of 48, by kyubby1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yea for the voodoo part, i already know that they are xpensiv sadly, thus i hoped to have a graphics card that can do it.
But it just can never be perfekt i guess ?

And if i cant find any persons to help, can anybody plz tell me what to do that would already help a lot 😅
Oh and can anybody Pleeeeeeeeeeeease tell me how to make quotes in vogons ?

Reply 38 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the easy way is to hit the " button on the bar above the post. Then this happens.

kyubby1 wrote on 2021-07-26, 15:05:
yea for the voodoo part, i already know that they are xpensiv sadly, thus i hoped to have a graphics card that can do it. But it […]
Show full quote

yea for the voodoo part, i already know that they are xpensiv sadly, thus i hoped to have a graphics card that can do it.
But it just can never be perfekt i guess ?

And if i cant find any persons to help, can anybody plz tell me what to do that would already help a lot 😅
Oh and can anybody Pleeeeeeeeeeeease tell me how to make quotes in vogons ?

but if you want to quote parts of it, you use the first tag in brackets shown in the editor and the last tag in brackets to enclose it, or just paste the whole thing multiple times and delete the bits you don't want each time...

kyubby1 wrote on 2021-07-26, 15:05:

the voodoo... i already know .. i ... can do it.
just .. perfekt

And if ... any persons ... tell me what to do ... 😅

.. and end up with something neatly trimmed that sounds faintly threatening 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 39 of 48, by kyubby1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick post from future kyubby1,

Compassitors charge up overtime, very short time. so short time that your not able to tell (at least thats what I know of, please correct me here)
BUT
If a compassitor is broken, does it charge up slowly, or doesnt it do enything ?
couse if it is just charging up reeeeeeeeeally slowly, could i theoredycally just leave the board with activatet power for 30 min and then see the led come on ?
I mean i couldnt use it then but i would be a nice test to see if the compassitors are actually the problem
The only problem:
I dont know if this even CAN work since i am not an expert on compassitors so
yea
Would be nice if anybody could tell me if this can work
Thanks for any help !