Do you dislike the British?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 100, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-12, 07:16:
This is similar to my view - The British Empire did a lot of bad, at a time when what was good and bad was different to today. B […]
Show full quote
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:47:

Hell no! I will be forever grateful to Britain for the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (and for giving birth to the genre in general), and also you invented football! And Sir Isaac Newton! So many great things/people come from there...

I think some people harbor resentment for the imperialism/colonialism of the past, and Brexit more recently. It doesn't bother me at all though, I won't judge current Britain for things done back when the world was a totally different place... and Brexit was just your democratic choice as a nation, regardless of how it will turn out in the future.

What I do find odd about the British is the devotion some of them have for the Queen/Royal Family... I think it's difficult to understand for people who have always lived under republic type governments. Personally I am puzzled by the fact that monarchy still exists in some developed countries, like a relic from the past that won't go away.

This is similar to my view - The British Empire did a lot of bad, at a time when what was good and bad was different to today. But the UK also started the industrial revolution, micro-computer revolution, the internet (or WWW I can't remember), Darwin etc. But why do people not openly hate on the other european empires that have come and gone before and during the British empire?

Brexit is just... a mess and I'm sure made / makes us the laughing stock of Europe.

I think most people are indifferent to the Royal Family. The RF doesn't actually do anything or have any particular power. They own a bunch of land but they don't do anything to it- no different to if it was state owned land. If they were removed daily life for us normal people would not change at all. the RF is just about the only identity the UK has left at this point and is probably responsible for a lot of tourism (money) for the UK.

Like... People who are blaming other people, what anceators and long gone people have done in the past, are low intelligent people. I dont blame Germans today, what happened in the 1930's and 1940's. I dont blame Japanese people for pearl harbour. And I sure do not blame everyone in my country, if some idiot murder someone. We can only blame the person who did wrong.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21 of 100, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote on 2021-07-12, 10:25:

Do I dislike the British people ? No I do not ! I have great British English friends ! Heck I used to be a Depeche Mode fan, and as far I am aware they were a part of the great synth-pop craze of the 80s 😀 now I am just a "synth-maniac" as in I love synthpop 😀 The only thing I did not like was the shenanigans that happened last Wednesday, not the game itself, but the green laser in Kasper Schmeichel´s eyes, the extra ball on the field, the spitting on Danish fans, the booing during the Danish national anthem, and the assaults on Danish fans. That is not bloody okay ! That is bad behaviour ! But blaming it on all other British people ? Nope, sorry wrong door you knocked on for that answer.
And about metal from Britain ? Oh my, Iron Maiden is an awesome band, just to mention one great metal band from Britain 😀

DM have made a great number of nice songs. Personally I like 1980's gay pop from England. Like bronski beat. And it is strange, because I am a metal head, and love some sweet Ultra Brutal Death Metal. Or just some 1970's inspired Doom like Electric Wizard. And then we have classic pre-1998 Sepultura.

Reply 22 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget Enola Gay and Blue Monday!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 23 of 100, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People tend to mix politics with people. Same here in Eastern Europe. Absolutely love my Russian girlfriend, and absolutely hate Russian politics. 😁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 26 of 100, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2021-07-12, 10:54:

Like... People who are blaming other people, what anceators and long gone people have done in the past, are low intelligent people. I dont blame Germans today, what happened in the 1930's and 1940's. I dont blame Japanese people for pearl harbour. And I sure do not blame everyone in my country, if some idiot murder someone. We can only blame the person who did wrong.

Sorry, but I think this is a huge oversimplification of things.
A lot of current world problems are due to the colonization, so It's not just a matter of blaming someone's ancestors. It's a matter of seeing a lot of bad stuff happening to people today just because they were born in a specific place, and on the other hand seeing other people living a much better and easier life for the same reason but acting as nothing ever happened. A lot of people will get resented for that and I don't think they have "low intelligence" because of that thinking.
Point is, the ancestors may be the ones that did unfair things, but the descendants are sure as hell still enjoying the benefits while wanting to pretend nothing ever happened.

I don't know about the impacts of Pearl Harbor or Nazism to someone living in US or Europe, but speaking of colonization impacts, what basically happened here in Brazil was that Europeans came, reduced the local natives to almost nothing, then once there were not enough native slaves, brought an estimate of 12 million slaves from Africa, then once slavery was not sustainable anymore (it officially ended during very late 1800s), European colonizers came in to work in relatively much better conditions and the slaves were just cast aside to less desirable regions. That happened a little more than 100 years ago (which is nothing). So, of course it caused really bad social and cultural impacts that persist strongly until today, and I believe similar problems are still happening in other colonized countries as well.
Should those problems be solved by the countries themselves? Of course! Trying to help would make it even worse, actually. It's just that people from colonizer countries must face the fact that colonization is still very recent and did far more bad than good, and some kind of resentment should be expected before things heal up, which may take a while.
Personally, I don't hate anyone because of nationality (neither should I as I'm of European ascendancy, which gave me a lot of privileges, in a personal level, I have nothing to complain about), but I can't deny that it bothers me when I see people from privileged countries forgiving themselves for the colonization or trying to imply that we all have the same opportunities now. I really do believe the intentions behind that kind of speech are good and honest, but unfortunately they only end up adding to the resentment.

Last edited by gaffa2002 on 2021-07-12, 13:42. Edited 6 times in total.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 28 of 100, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2021-07-12, 13:26:

Blackadder and Red Dwarf make up for everything else.

Don't forget IT Crowd.

Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Dad's Army, Rowan Atkinson stuff, Fawlty Towers where also aired in my youth and no I'm not that old (I think) 😜

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 29 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Well, yes and no.
I'm no expert in politics, but I think the whole matter is much more complex.
Just because a country, say Germany, is rich doesn't mean the people there are equally rich, too.
Especially in Germany, a lot of poor people live, some don't even sleep in real beds (just a mattress).
And I'm not talking about immigrants, even.
The schools are often poor and dilapidated, too and require external support.
Well, except in Berlin of course. That city gets everything served on a silver platter. 🙄
Thing is, it's simply not obvious. People in countries like Germany usually don't admit they are poor, even if they technically are.
By contrast, people in weaker countries may behave the opposite, even.
It's really hard to judge.

Anyway, enough about that country.
Back to England/Britain.

I don't know of a single person that dislikes English people.
When it comes to English (pop) culture, there's a lot of good and positive stuff that comes to mind (I'm just a layman).
Quality umbrellas, the James Bond franchise, Monty Python, Mr. Bean/Atkinson, Madame Tussauds,
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Miss Marple/A.Christie, The Amityville Horror, Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin, Alice in Wonderland novel,
Winnie-the-Pooh (1926 novel),
the Beatles, Harry Potter series, Space 1999, Jack the Ripper..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 30 of 100, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-07-12, 13:23:
Sorry, but I think this is a huge oversimplification of things. A lot of current world problems are due to the colonization, so […]
Show full quote

A lot of current world problems are due to the colonization, so It's not just a matter of blaming someone's ancestors. It's a matter of seeing a lot of bad stuff happening to people today just because they were born in a specific place, and on the other hand seeing other people living a much better and easier life for the same reason but acting as nothing ever happened. A lot of people will get resented for that and I don't think they have "low intelligence" because of that thinking.
Point is, the ancestors may be the ones that did unfair things, but the descendants are sure as hell still enjoying the benefits while wanting to pretend nothing ever happened.

I don't know about the impacts of Pearl Harbor or Nazism to someone living in US or Europe, but speaking of colonization impacts, what basically happened here in Brazil was that Europeans came, reduced the local natives to almost nothing, then once there were not enough native slaves, brought an estimate of 12 million slaves from Africa, then once slavery was not sustainable anymore (it officially ended during very late 1800s), European colonizers came in to work in relatively much better conditions and the slaves were just cast aside to less desirable regions. That happened a little more than 100 years ago (which is nothing). So, of course it caused really bad social and cultural impacts that persist strongly until today, and I believe similar problems are still happening in other colonized countries as well.
Should those problems be solved by the countries themselves? Of course! Trying to help would make it even worse, actually. It's just that people from colonizer countries must face the fact that colonization is still very recent and did far more bad than good, and some kind of resentment should be expected before things heal up, which may take a while.
Personally, I don't hate anyone because of nationality (neither should I as I'm of European ascendancy, which gave me a lot of privileges, in a personal level, I have nothing to complain about), but I can't deny that it bothers me when I see people from privileged countries forgiving themselves for the colonization or trying to imply that we all have the same opportunities now. I really do believe the intentions behind that kind of speech are good and honest, but unfortunately they only end up adding to the resentment.

I will explain it more simple then. People are living in the past, blaming people what previous generations have done.

You can put every issue under that umbrella.

Reply 31 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote on 2021-07-12, 14:14:
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-07-12, 13:23:
Sorry, but I think this is a huge oversimplification of things. A lot of current world problems are due to the colonization, so […]
Show full quote

I will explain it more simple then. People are living in the past, blaming people what previous generations have done.

Reminds me of that oldschool song "The living years" by Mike & The Mechanics.

"Every generation
Blames the one before
And all of their frustrations
Come beating on your door"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agC7SoihH-o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_%26_the_Mechanics

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 100, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2021-07-12, 14:14:

For you it may be in the past, but for a lot of people it is still the present being affected.
We are not responsible for the past before us, but we cannot deny it defines most of how our life is going to be in the future. If one was born in a more privileged place, this person is in no position to decide in how people in less privileged places should feel about how unfair things are.
Plus, in implying that everyone has equal footing and no right to complain, you are also implying that people from poorer countries are somehow less capable, don't you think?
Yes, every issue can be under the same umbrella in different degrees and contexts, and that's exactly the reason why this kind of topic should not be viewed in such a simplistic way.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 33 of 100, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did someone say British?

founders_aaa.png
Filename
founders_aaa.png
File size
407.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also, the British Empire was good, actually, and should be restored

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 34 of 100, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favorite thing in the world is the inflection of british newscasters . It always starts high and then then ends low for dramatic effect.

"Here in London the bridge is quite literally [high register], falling down [low register]".

It's amazing and please don't ever change.

Reply 35 of 100, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-07-12, 15:37:

Did someone say British?
founders_aaa.png

Also, the British Empire was good, actually, and should be restored

I knew I liked you for a reason

Reply 36 of 100, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-07-12, 15:09:

We are not responsible for the past before us, but we cannot deny it defines most of how our life is going to be in the future. If one was born in a more privileged place, this person is in no position to decide in how people in less privileged places should feel about how unfair things are.
Plus, in implying that everyone has equal footing and no right to complain, you are also implying that people from poorer countries are somehow less capable, don't you think?
Yes, every issue can be under the same umbrella in different degrees and contexts, and that's exactly the reason why this kind of topic should not be viewed in such a simplistic way.

I think you are right - some people have advantages due to the past and others do not. There is no real equality of opportunity in the world, even within one country or one town for that matter, even a small difference can have a big outcome

at least that should be acknowledged

In the same way that an individual born and raised in a country less well off cannot be held responsible for that, so a person who is born in a country better off cannot be responsible for their situation either

To be responsible for it implies something should be done, or that there is an obligation of some kind that should be enforced. I cannot think of a way of doing that which doesn't simply add a new injustice to the list. It's something that even when acknowledge is impossible to address without just creating new problems, unless we all globally did start to become more sharing and caring without being obliged under threat of law to be so!

also, advantage and disadvantage arrive in complex ways, with many factors. It is perhaps too simple to point at one thing only, even if it is a very big effect.

specifically on the British, perhaps there is a sense in which the old arrogance is still there but i find it strange sometimes when some people, in some circles, treat Britain as if it is *still* a colonising superpower when in fact it has been in relative decline for decades, stopped being a superpower in the early 20th century and is now really no better off, and in some ways worse off, than many average European nations. It feels like an easy target in that has no real power anymore compared to current and rising powers in the world

an interesting topic