Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3160 of 5853, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't playeed anything properly for years now. I'm part way through pretty much all the Blizzard games (only ever finished WC3-ROC and I guess DIablo II except Nightmare mode) and Grim Fandango, in that I'd pick those up where I left off. Anything else I'd need to start again, even Planescape Torment. Life gets in the way, and to be honest for a long time WoW did too. Have managed to keep off that for a couple of years now, but always intend to return some time.

Reply 3161 of 5853, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-07-11, 07:06:

There were no voices in MI 1 or 2 until the remakes.

There are patches floating around the Web to add the voices to the old DOS originals, however...

I'm aware the originals weren't voice acted, but I wasn't even born yet when they came out. Started with Curse when I was really young; it was actually my first adventure game not made by Humongous. Never had a chance to play 1 or 2 until the remakes, so to me Guybrush has always had a voice. Armato is so perfect in the role too that it really feels like he is Guybrush.

I'll have to look around for that patch! If one can combine the pixel art of the originals with the voice acting and additional sound effects of the remakes, that would easily be the definitive version of the first two games. Really annoying that the remakes include the originals as an option, but don't let you mix and match that way (if the remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap can toggle graphics and music options individually, why not Monkey Island?).

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 3162 of 5853, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still chugging away on Kingdom Come Deliverance, and still loving it. I'd wager that it may end up being my favorite RPG of all time when I'm done with it. It's a game that you need to sink about 20 hours in before it really grabs you, so I can see why some people have dismissed it.

I haven't had much time to play lately, been on vacation and life has been busy, but I still manage at least 5 hrs a week, which keeps me satisfied. I've been playing it for 3.5 months and have sunk about 90 hrs into it, and I'm still nowhere near the end. This is a rare game that I'm completely satisfied taking my time with side quests to build up my character. As for the main quest, I'm still on Nest of Vipers (haven't started it yet). I think after destroying a few more bandit camps, I'll get back on the main quest.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3163 of 5853, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I visited a friend the other week and he's a Tetris obsessive, specially Tetris: The Grand Master. I haven't played in years but came away interested enough to download a ROM for NES Tetris and good lord its addictive. I'm not particularly good at it but have improved a lot - I've had to ban myself playing it before bedtime though because I've found myself waking up with games playing in my head, which is not something I need.

What a great game!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3164 of 5853, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^I like this post. "Back to basics" - where it's often most fun.

My Mrs likes to have an occasional smash on the catchily-named "Tetris: The Absolute: The Grand Master 2, PLUS" using my arcade cab, and no other version will do. But even on a original Gameboy (or is that.. "particularly" on an original Gameboy??), Tetris ruled.

Personally I'm still slowly plodding through Twilight Princess HD when I get the time. After a famously slow start, it's starting to warm up and become somewhat compelling. Still no Wind Waker, but certainly is becoming worth playing.

Reply 3165 of 5853, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attempting to beat DK64 and I'm on Kong #4 of 5 to defeat King K Rool. So many attempts to beat the game for 2 years.

Looks better on my PVM-9L1 than a flat panel LCD display.

IMG_20210712_235850298~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210712_235850298~2.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3166 of 5853, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2021-07-13, 00:29:

I visited a friend the other week and he's a Tetris obsessive, specially Tetris: The Grand Master. I haven't played in years but came away interested enough to download a ROM for NES Tetris and good lord its addictive. I'm not particularly good at it but have improved a lot - I've had to ban myself playing it before bedtime though because I've found myself waking up with games playing in my head, which is not something I need.

What a great game!

NES Tetris is a classic.

Reply 3167 of 5853, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a couple months of just playing console RPGs (and the Dark Souls games), I am back to playing some a good old PC RPG:

Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World (PC)
I had completed the first game last year and then immediately transferred my party and began playing the second game. I made some good progress in the game with a decent portion of the world explored, but ultimately got burnt out due to how similar the two games are.

I picked it up again this evening and spent an hour or so re-familiarizing myself with the interface and controls. That went by pretty quickly, and then I randomly chose a direction and went exploring. I defeated some fixed encounters I had trouble with before (I had noted them on my maps), and suddenly got transported into some dungeon. I explored about half of that dungeon before I ran into a very tough encounter that killed a couple characters, so I flew back to town with plenty of riches and enough experience to level up three characters.

Lots of fun! I don't think I'll get addicted to this the same way I did M&M1, but I can see putting in an hour here and there as I play other stuff. I'd like to finish this one this year, but it seems absolutely massive even compared to the gigantic M&M1.

Reply 3168 of 5853, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally beat DK64 after 2 years of playing the game and attempting multiple times to beat King K Rool.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3169 of 5853, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally finished the original Tomb Raider. It still holds up remarkably well, despite its age. I liked that the focus was on exploration i.e. actual "tomb raiding" rather than combat, as was often the case in the sequels.

The game ran very well on my Voodoo1. Most of the time it delivered a locked 30 FPS, with the exception of some larger, open areas (e.g. Colosseum and The Cistern). During certain parts of those levels, performance could drop to slightly below 20 FPS, but only for a few brief moments.

Anyway, I can wholeheartedly recommend (re)playing this game to anyone else who's revisiting their '90s favorites. It's a true classic.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3171 of 5853, by Grandiloquence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having just modded both my Saturn and PlayStation with a Mode and XStation respectively, I have been playing a load of stuff from both platforms.

I also got an ODE mod for my Dreamcast and have been playing the Atomiswave collection on it.

Reply 3172 of 5853, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I was browsing the Lost Media Wiki and ran across this. Really cool anime style reflex/twitch style games in the vein of Dragon's Lair except Japanese style. Apparently "Road Blaster" and "Thunder Storm (aka Cobra Command)" have been lost in their full PC versions, BUT the demos are still available via the links at the bottom of that wiki page. I guess these were both originally mid 80s arcade games. Tried them out in Widnows 7 64 and they work great. Gameplay is pretty basic, but more than makes up for it in sound and style. So far the controls on the keyboard are left and right arrow, space = fire, Z = accelerate, X = brake. There may be more. Neat find.

Reply 3176 of 5853, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still slowly making my way through Populous. Hit another difficulty wall around world 120 or so.

The first difficulty wall around world 30 or so was just learning to hit the AI early and often. It seems to me once one side or the other gets going, it just snowballs too much. So the best way to deal with the AI was just never let them get going. Keep them busy repairing damage you inflict on them, while you keep growing. Success begets more success.

Well, the second difficulty wall has thrown a large wrench into that. There were about a half dozen worlds where the AI only had the Knight and Flood powers, and it was easy to just keep Earthquaking them so badly they could never use them. They got really easy. Now things have been mixed up, and the AI has the Earthquake power, and I don't. This means, they can and will hit me first, and I have to hang in there, and struggle past it, until I gather the mana for the more advanced powers which I am allowed to use.

My initial plan was to try to turtle until I could flood them. This was a horrible mistake, and I was besieged so totally and effectively I never even got close to having enough mana to flood them off the map.

It's really throwing me for a loop. Had to learn to try to survive and grow as quickly as possible until I can begin attacking. Swamp is the cheapest attack I can afford, but it's usefulness seems limited as the AI repairs it pretty quickly. Still, it's mana spent on that instead of Earthquaking me. I'm also finding it pivotal to hitting them with a Knight before they can hit me, since a rampaging Knight takes enormous chunks out of your mana supply while it's slaughtering towns and walkers. The worst strategic blunder I made was trying to wear down a Knight with an avalanche of walkers. Next thing I knew I had no mana, and was at the mercy of the AI which progressed from quaking me every 2 seconds to volcano.

The last few of these levels have started me off with a higher population than the AI, likely to compensate for the lack of access to cheap attacks. I'm struggling to make the best use of that meager advantage. I suspect soon even that will be taken away from me. I find my reaction times and resource management skills are really being tested. And they are improving. It's enjoyable and exciting in a way I haven't found out of a lot of newer games. That expectation that I have to get good or fuck off. And the time investment in each level is low enough, and it's easy enough to just reset it, that I don't mind the experimentation. Plus the moment to moment flow state of the gameplay is still a pleasure that I don't necessarily hate replaying the opening growth stages of a level repeatedly, trying to optimize it just a little bit more.

Still, I suspect my love affair with this game may come to an end well before I beat the 500th world. Even if I am leaping over worlds 5 or 6 at a time per battle. I'm also mildly curious if my running it at full speed on a K6-2+ 500 might be goosing the AI's reaction times a bit. The game appears to run at a normal speed. The walkers aren't zipping and zooming all over the map. But that doesn't mean the internal game logic isn't blazing. I may be struggling against an AI that was never supposed to be this fast. I especially wonder this because Populous 2 does appear to run too fast, and I'm sitting here wondering how Bullfrog unlearnt that lesson? Unless Populous 1 is only appearing to run normally by pure chance, and it's actually not.

Edit: Turning down the speed with setmul did indeed appear to make the Populous AI react a lot slower. Or I just got really good today.

Edit2: I take it all back. The AI is just fucking impossibly hard for me. Can't even begin to wrap my head around what they are doing, or how I could possibly stop it. It's spamming volcanos with only a half dozen castles, while I have more than twice as many and not enough mana to spam earthquake, much less volcano. I just don't understand it at all.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3177 of 5853, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just started Dark Souls (remastered) for the first time. Mostly because it will run on my laptop and my laptop can go into the air conditioned bedroom where my PC can't! I wonder how long i will last before I get fed up.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 3178 of 5853, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shadowrun Returns
Been on my list for awhile but never got around to it. Seems pretty basic but easy to get into and has a story so I'm still playing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3179 of 5853, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2021-07-20, 21:20:

Shadowrun Returns
Been on my list for awhile but never got around to it. Seems pretty basic but easy to get into and has a story so I'm still playing.

Both the gameplay and the story go to shit halfway through. I hear Dragonfall is significantly better but Returns burned me out so bad that I never touched it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.