VOGONS

First post, by Zipvoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I need advice on how to go about troubleshooting and hopefully fixing this seemingly dead sound card that I have. It's an ESS Audiodrive 1869f.

I found it in an old machine that I bought. The case was rusted very badly. The psu, cdrom, hdd were dead but the slot 1 motherboard, ram, gpu were fine. Sadly,
this card would not be detected by DOS or Windows 98 no matter what I tried.

How can I tell that the card is definitely dead? It looks to be in good condition but it shows no sign of life. Which component on the card is likely to be dead and
preventing the card from being detected? In fact, which component on a sound card sends a signal to the OS to tell it "I am here!"?

Should I replace all the capacitors? The amplifier chip which is a TEA2025B or the resistors? If the main ESS chip is broken, how did it break and how might it be
fixed?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Here are pics of the computer it came out of- amazing that the motherboard (a Soyo SY-6KE) still works. Terrible how people treat these old computers.

Attachments

Last edited by Zipvoid on 2021-07-13, 14:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's kind of blurry, but are two of the pins in the 2x3 array at JP1 bent to the point of shorting? Also, I think below that is a diagram showing that the pins need to be configured with jumpers for either Line Out or Speaker Out?

Also, yeah, plastic parts in the upper right corner look melty.

Edit: Also, just try running UNISOUND in dos to see what you see?

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 12, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zipvoid wrote on 2021-07-13, 14:24:

It looks to be in good condition ...

Sadly, the card remembers better times. CP2 looks corroded and open circuit (left leg torn off?) - maybe even other smd are corroded?

Attachments

• ess.jpg
    Filename
    ess.jpg
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 12, by Zipvoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is what the computer looks like now after some retrobrighting and clean up. It would be nice to save the ISA soundcard.

Thanks for your replies. The card looks a bit corroded. If I replaced all of the components that can be replaced I wonder if that would fix it.

But which part is most likely to prevent the card from being detected by Windows or DOS at first. Unisound doesn't detect the card either, in DOS 6.22.

I can't find any tutorials on troubleshooting and fixing sound cards- no YouTube videos- people seem to steer clear of these topics.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 12, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for the rust use paper napkins soaked in white vinegar and apply it on corroded parts for some time. it will take off the rust. After take the card and clean it in the water with soap and tooth brush. Let it dry for 2 days minimum. the caps looks so so. clean the ISA connector. and try again. also try to take the card and bake it in the oven. It re flows the old soldering connections. There are few YouTube videos with how to.

the case is nice and clean -cool.

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Reply 7 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dank0 wrote on 2021-07-13, 15:29:

also try to take the card and bake it in the oven. It re flows the old soldering connections. There are few YouTube videos with how to.

First, it will pop all the electrolytics, (Which might need replacement anyhoo, but don't destroy them first and wonder about the values later, document.) and second, that technique is mainly useful for BGA parts where the solder connections cannot be accessed or verified, this doesn't have any.

Zipvoid wrote on 2021-07-13, 14:24:

How can I tell that the card is definitely dead?

Wall voltage to any of the jack ports should do the trick, should definitely be dead after that. 🤣 ... (Inspired by the joke... Hunter: Hi 911? I accidentally shot my hunting buddy, I think he's dead. Operator: Okay sir, don't panic, first I'm going to need you to make sure he is dead... *BANG* Hunter: "Okay, now what?" )

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Honestly, unless you absolutely want the spend a bunch of time trying to replace a bunch of components on that card it really doesn't look worth trying to fix to me.

It is an inexpensive sound card so you just have to make a decision whether it is worth your time and money to try to fix a card that can most likely be replaced for $10-$20.

Btw, the "capacitor" in the lower right hand corner that looks like the Peggie broken is not a capacitor. Looks like ferrite bead to me. The labeling for components on that board is strange.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This card looks like it will need nearly all of its surface mounted passives replaced, almost all are corroded and are unlikely to function anymore. Chances are there are many vias that no longer conduct either, it will be an unworthwhile to fix since as said before it is a cheap card.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 12, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Zipvoid:
any special reason you want to fix this card? It seems pretty basic and you should get a working one for like a few bucks/euros/pounds...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 11 of 12, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Zipvoid: Perfect work on the case, I wouldn't recognize her! But it's really not worth it with a card, I see some scratches on PCB, broken pin for line out setting, molten plastics and a lot of corrosion. It's an ordinary card, that you can buy very cheaply and in impeccable condition on Ebay or elsewhere.

Reply 12 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

However, if he had something good we'd be like "Practice on something worthless first" 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.