Common searches

Do you dislike the British?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 100, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

England is the greatest evil to ever exist, I took a class in college so I know.

I legitimately have English citizenship by birth, so it's extra sarcastic.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 61 of 100, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-12, 22:37:
Danskjävel :D :D :D […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote on 2021-07-12, 21:03:

Like we don't go around and hate the Swedish people or Germans for invading us.

Danskjävel 😁 😁 😁

I think it would take a whole lot to upset the relations between the countries in northern europe, we're not just neighbours - we're brothers.
(denmark, norway, finland and sweden)

Edit: not talking about politics, but about the people.

Dude, I will bring the best beer (not just Tuborg and Carlsberg), you bring some great metal and synthpop and electro, and yes we are brothers . No past wars can change that 😀 to any one not understanding what I say about past wars, Denmark and Sweden has been in so MANY wars against each other. over the centuries. And wars are bad, and it all started with Christian The Second of Denmark, aka Christian The Tyrant doing the Stockholm bloodbath. But war, what is it good for ? Absolutely nothing ! And what the Finnish footie fans did to the Danish footie fans, when Christian Eriksen went down during the match between Finland and Denmark. Made me say "Finland are officially my brothers(and sisters) of metal, even if they do not like metal ". So mate bring some awesome metal (and synthpop and electro) from the rest of the Nordic countries to the party. And I will bring the beer, even though I do not drink alcohol. And we will have a party big time ! And lets us bring our computers with us, so we can enjoy some old and new demos from the current and past !

Reply 62 of 100, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-07-13, 03:46:
I understand that point of view and the logic behind it is not wrong. :) But it can also be seen the other way round, sometimes […]
Show full quote
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-07-12, 22:01:

Nowadays, the usual behavior I see from people in more developed nations is to simply pretend we are all equal and having discussions like that always bring the same old "Let it go, man! It was in the past" or "Stop complaining and do something" kind of argument. In other words, discussing and understanding inequality became a taboo, a sign of "weakness".
This kind of environment is what causes resentment to escalate to hate IMHO.

I understand that point of view and the logic behind it is not wrong. 😀
But it can also be seen the other way round, sometimes.

In Germany, for example, situation is in reverse, young people constantly get reminded of WW2.
They would be happy if a person from another nation would tell them "Let it go, man! It was in the past" from time to time.
Alas, they can't just "let it go". They are constantly being reminded of the past.
So much in fact, that some of them feel bad for their nationality, despite being not responsible for the past themselves.
They get reminded in school, through politicans who always apologize to other nations, media newspapers/TV documentaries..

And each time a single person goes crazy and does a bad thing, even he/she isn't German at all,
say at a school, several generations are being blamed altogether for still being racist and/or
hostile against immigrants, people of color, Jewish people etc.

Especially the later is strange, because in 21th century, I think, students rarely have any aversion against that group of people.
Why should they, I mean? They have usually no relationship/no contact to them these days.
All that bad propaganda that happened in WW2 happened ~80 years ago.
Most eyewitnesses passed a way years ago or must be 90+ years old by now.

Considering all of this, I think it's a miracle that young people are still so calm/relaxed and civil in that country.
Normally, someone should expect that this constant, never-ending blaming on their history/nationality must cause a
form of hate or resentments. Gratefully, it doesn't so far.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to judge.
Also, I think remembering history is very, very important for doing better next time
and for not repeating the same mistakes over and over.

I think it's just that, on the other hand, todays people around the world have no control over their pasts.
So dealing with them as if they were sons and daughters of criminals isn't exactly a good thing to do either
when it comes to peace and harmony.

Also, many people that live today in Germany don't have gotten any benefits from the actions of their predecessors.
I mean, there was little left after war. Most people back then started rebuilding everything from scratch.

PS: I hope that wasn't too off-topic or too annoying. 😅
Another, alternate example would have been that ongoing gender debate that seems to separate people worldwide. 😉

Edit: Formatting cleaned up.

This is not the other way around, you actually sustained my point with that example: Young people in Germany aren't bothered so much by being remembered of the bad things in their history probably because they are taught that they were the bad guys in that specific event, without sugarcoating or trying to contextualize (i.e but it wasn't that bad back then!), or playing the victim. In other words, they didn't make being wrong a taboo, which makes it much easier for future generations to accept (why should they be mad? they also agree with what is being said).

Germany is doing what in my opinion is the better way of dealing with such events: They openly acknowledge that what was done there in the past was really bad, and they seem to be trying to ensure that future generations never forget that, which is much better than just pretending that nothing ever happened and trying to erase bad things from their history. And it works both ways... makes it easier for future generations in Germany to accept, and also makes it easier for the victim's descendants to forgive, WIN-WIN 😀

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 64 of 100, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-07-13, 16:28:

Germany is doing what in my opinion is the better way of dealing with such events: They openly acknowledge that what was done there in the past was really bad, and they seem to be trying to ensure that future generations never forget that, which is much better than just pretending that nothing ever happened and trying to erase bad things from their history.

While the German government isn't erasing it, they are definitely leaving most of it out to rot.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 65 of 100, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why we all can't just go back to having an actual sense of humor.

Everybody gets offended by everything now days.

All these parents that were brainwashed into "not damaging their children's psyche" by never disciplining them has led to a couple generations of 3 year olds in adult bodies.

They have no backbones and they also have no common sense or respect for anybody.

They also lack any grasp on reality.

You go so far as to disagree with them and they will throw a fit and attack you like some child that just got their favorite toy taken away.

I make fun of pretty much all people equally.

Stereotypes exist because of things that are generally true. It isn't people just making up stuff because they are mean, but it sure was s fun to make jokes about stereotypes as well as pretty much anything else that could irritate somebody in the slightest.

Let's just get back to everybody "offending" everybody for fun.

I'm glad at the place I used to work at, people would make fun of their own race, etc.

Having different races telling jokes about stereotypes about their race,need, etc. is what partially made the people there great to work with.

Now we have stupid people getting triggered at the slightest things because they can't take a joke.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 66 of 100, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To "dislike the British" because of England, would be a disservice to Scotland and Wales, which are also part of (the island of Great) Britain. And therein lies part of the problem. Those islands (including Ireland) have such a fractured identity. Sometimes it's "the UK". Sometimes it's "England". Sometimes it's "Britain".

And so the UK stands out in the current western world as a symbol of division. This was personified in the endless years of the Brexit debacle, the neverending political upheavals and scandals, the media industry which feeds voraciously upon it's own people (there is nothing in the world with the ugly reputation of the huge UK tabloid scene) and is lapped up with glee, and now we have an alleged 50/50-ish divide between people for and against Freedom Day. The same symbol of unresolved internal division and staunch, competing partisanship, over and over.

Making the UK unavoidably appear to be, even from here on the other side of the world in New Zealand, as an increasingly-fraught, constant and ongoing Huge Neverending Argument. Even here, our airwaves have been dominated for years by the UK's issues day-in day-out with barely a break.

I love the people in principle, because they are my brothers and sisters. But boy. It's been so hard to witness what has been happening, constant, for years and years, one thing to the next, same old ~50/50 conflict of fighting and strife. (Ironically he says, being here and typing this: ) but I have actually started to withdraw my global engagement with these issues because of the simple personal stress - even from the other side of the darn world!

Peace. Compromise. Empathy. Look after each other. Pull each other up. Be generous and share what there is, while the choice still exists to do so. Because believe me, once that choice is gone, the cost doesn't bear thinking about.

Reply 67 of 100, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-12, 07:03:
As hopefully a counterpoint to the other websites I go to which tend to have younger, mostly USA based users. […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:13:

NO! Why do you need to ask that question on vogons at all?

As hopefully a counterpoint to the other websites I go to which tend to have younger, mostly USA based users.

I couldn't sleep this morning (for whatever reason) and was looking at memes and came across the football ones with more general "hate the english" so I ended up googling "why do you hate the english" and came up with other people asking the question with lots of negative responses making me think it was more widespread.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-people-s … en-hate-Britain
https://www.quora.com/In-which-country-is-Ant … ent-the-highest

And it sort of answers my question of why but places like Quora are filled with opinionated people by its very nature of being a site where people register so they can discuss their opinion on things. So hence asking here where people probably have less strong opinions on the subject.

I'm 34 and from the US and I have zero issues with the English/British people let alone the entire country. So don't let the bad actors here in the country color the view of the rest of us. I have no issues with anyone from an country for that matter we're all humans living on the same rock

Reply 68 of 100, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as Foreign Countries respect my country I respect their Country.
I respect all countries that do their way without dictating others but look for partnerships to do how they do their way to themselves.
The last thing I will ever do is beleive and sell my soul to television and news media.
Respect thy neighbours privacy and rights people with problems don't need others shoved onto them.
What we need to do is not to point the finger at any nation as we are all in a global crisis and need to help each other to help ourselves out of darkness.
Each country has its way of doing things that don't need to be told but to be respected and helped to do how they do it as long as it conforms to basic human rights.
Such attitude forges stronger closer partnerships that can last for lifetimes.
Its the universal law and understanding of intelligent sentient life.
Well, those who signed up to the U.N. reflect that anyhow.
And sometimes I wonder about it when I read about U.N. talking about banks.

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-07-25, 07:13. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 69 of 100, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-07-14, 18:14:
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-12, 07:03:
As hopefully a counterpoint to the other websites I go to which tend to have younger, mostly USA based users. […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:13:

NO! Why do you need to ask that question on vogons at all?

As hopefully a counterpoint to the other websites I go to which tend to have younger, mostly USA based users.

I couldn't sleep this morning (for whatever reason) and was looking at memes and came across the football ones with more general "hate the english" so I ended up googling "why do you hate the english" and came up with other people asking the question with lots of negative responses making me think it was more widespread.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-people-s … en-hate-Britain
https://www.quora.com/In-which-country-is-Ant … ent-the-highest

And it sort of answers my question of why but places like Quora are filled with opinionated people by its very nature of being a site where people register so they can discuss their opinion on things. So hence asking here where people probably have less strong opinions on the subject.

I'm 34 and from the US and I have zero issues with the English/British people let alone the entire country. So don't let the bad actors here in the country color the view of the rest of us. I have no issues with anyone from an country for that matter we're all humans living on the same rock

As an American, I would say that most Americans have a mostly positive view of English people. Women find the accent attractive and we all just assume that British people are intelligent. In recent years, because of the internet and in particular message boards and youtube, I have been exposed to more normal British people and I know that you guys are basically the same as us. I feel like English ideals and the general "fuck you Europe" attitude feels very American (I know, I'm painting with a broad brush here), so along with that and a common language I find English people easier to relate too. Oh, and while many British people are smart, just as many are idiots :p, and your stupid people are just as baffling dumb as ours. Maybe on average you guys are a bit smarter though.

Reply 70 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let us not forget though, that it's convenient to the foreign policy of Chinese and Russian governments to drive a wedge between Anglo-American and Anglo-European relationships, therefore apparent grassroots dislike/disharmony/division is quite likely to have been astroturfed by their respective intelligence agency attached troll farms. Where they don't originate, they amplify and distribute ostensibly genuine sentiment from a far end of an opinion spectrum, making it seem more widespread than it is.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 71 of 100, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every time I see the title of this thread I chuckle a little. It just seems to absurd to me on its surface. I cannot truly dislike the British, much less the English, being English myself by blood, though American by birth. My country was born out of England; we are part of the Anglo world. My culture is a branch of English culture at its very root. The world is big enough, and there are enough people here, that there will of course be people who dislike the Brits. There will also be people among us who dislike other nations. That is not my concern. The world is big enough for that. My geopolitical concern is love of my own country first, my broader culture & civilization second, and the rest of the world third.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 72 of 100, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember following the 1999 referendum campaign and got the impression that Australians really didn't much like the monarchy, but liked the alternatives even less.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 73 of 100, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-14, 21:23:

Let us not forget though, that it's convenient to the foreign policy of Chinese and Russian governments to drive a wedge between Anglo-American and Anglo-European relationships, therefore apparent grassroots dislike/disharmony/division is quite likely to have been astroturfed by their respective intelligence agency attached troll farms. Where they don't originate, they amplify and distribute ostensibly genuine sentiment from a far end of an opinion spectrum, making it seem more widespread than it is.

Ah yes, because all western European nations and the United States were the best of friends before whatever arbitrary date.

Reply 75 of 100, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2021-07-14, 21:27:

I remember following the 1999 referendum campaign and got the impression that Australians really didn't much like the monarchy, but liked the alternatives even less.

I was going to bring this up in reply to zapbuzz's post but you did it for me!
I was 19 for the referendum so may have oversimplified it but the way I remember it.
The public had been asked to vote to remain which meant nothing changed or independence despite no one having decided on how this new system would work. Do the people or party pick the president was one example.
so the public were like, you tell us what the alternative is and then we'll make an informed choice but until then we'll stick with what we know thanks.

I remember I was proud of my country that day and not letting nationalistic pride take preference over an informed choice.
Funny enough it was nationalistic pride that also kept us in the commonwealth as the flag would be one of things that needed changing and a lot of the WW2 veterans didn't want the flag they fought and had mates die under changed in their lifetime which I think the majority of the population also was fair enough.

I'm sure we'll have another referendum one day. It's a good political tool to take the focus away from more concerning matters but as zapbuzz said I don't think many people have a problem with the system itself.
"Mother England" rules us in name only. Like a good parent mum knows we are old enough now to leave us alone and make our own mistakes and not interfere 😀
Giving our politicians a blank check to rewrite the rule book is a much more scary idea.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 76 of 100, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I remember a big argument between those who wanted an American-style president with executive powers directly elected by the people, and those who just wanted to replace the queen with a native Aussie and carry on as before. The two groups were never able to agree with each other.

I also thought about the flag after making that post. Similar issues involved. The Canadians changed their flag in the 1960s but Australia/NZ kept theirs. Canada had Quebec to contend with though.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 77 of 100, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as loudspeakers are concerned, I don't think I like the "British sound" too much. Yes, the mids are warm, but the highs are rolled off, while the midbass/lower midranges are over-emphasized (LF bump). Also, the mids sound boxy. I much prefer the open, boxless-sound of my NHT SuperZeroes.

Not that I hate British sound though, I just don't like it too much.

No idea about soccer though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 78 of 100, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Long live Blighty and all who sail in her.

My flag has a bit of a sag:

Attachments

• 20130120_044109.jpg
    Filename
    20130120_044109.jpg
    File size
    573.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉