VOGONS

bug report (?) win3.x and latest cvs

Topic actions

First post, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I have found windows 3.1 running in dosbox to be much more unstable with the latest cvs-builds.

Win31 had worked really fine for me from about May 2006 (dynamic core working!!) to roughly a few weeks ago.

For example, I use win31 to run delphi 1.0 (don't blame me for this not being a game: The problem is related to a general win 3.x instability, maybe also affecting games) Delphi has worked ever since about May 2006, but NOW crashes every time I try to start it. Delphi is just an example though. Other examples are scrollbars (sometimes becoming weird), menus (sometimes just disappearing).

Am I the only one encountering these problems?

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 1 of 95, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Can you determine more precisely the moment it broke ?
If you are on windows you can download a lot of builds from here
http://builds.tharos-online.de/

It doesn't need to be the exact date, but a few weeks ago is too vague considering a lot of has happened the last few months actually

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is that I cannot be more specific. You see, I had not run win31 in dosbox for maybe 2 weeks. But I can remember that I did not have these problems then.

As I have said before: This problem is not related to one program. Sometimes, I open a program, and the first time I want to access the menu bar, it will hang (precisely: the mouse is not responding any more). I then have to press ctrl+F10 to give the control over the mouse back to Linux.

On the other hand, hoe can I be 100% sure if it is a dosbox bug? It MAY be that I have somohow manage to corrupt my win31 ... . But actually , I don't think so. So, I think if I'm the only one with these problems ... then I just have to reinstall win31 in dosbox. BUT, if there are more people with similar problems, then it is a dosbox bug.

Reply 3 of 95, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

in my experience it's easy to corrupt windows. I had it happening a few times at least.

The only way that you can be sure that it is a dosbox bug is that when it works in one version of DOSbox and crashes in antoher version of DOSBox. (and even then it is not 100 % foolproof)

Reply 4 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I do not have another build at hand: The only thing I can say for sure is that these problems do not appear with ver 0.65, which I still have installed as a kind of fallback. So I guess that I have not corrupted my win31 installation.

Reply 6 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CVS: I open the Main-ProgramGroup. Then I start the File Manager. Then I close the File Manager. Then I try to close the Main-ProgramGroup-window. I click into the menu, the menu appears, but it is blank (!!!). The mouse stops responding. I have to exit dosbox, releasing the mouse before.

0.65: No problems.

Reply 7 of 95, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

settings in cvs are ems=true + core=dynamic ?
0.65 I assume ems=false + core=normal

Reply 8 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, these are the settings.
Actually I do not know if dosbox switches to the dynamic core in the cvs-build, because my settings are: core=auto; cycles=auto. The cycles change to Max as soon as I start windows.

It does not matter if I set ems=true or ems=false in the cvs-build.

Reply 9 of 95, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try with fixed cycles, like cycles=30000 or so.

Reply 10 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could try, but: This is a new problem. A few weeks ago it did not matter if the cycles were max,auto,10000 or 30000.

Reply 11 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried to set the cycles to a fixed value (I tried out cycles=12000). The problems remain.

There are no problems with 0.65, so it cannot be that I have corrupted my win31 installation (is this a logical conclusion?), right? 🤣 🤣

Reply 13 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, dosfreak, the results are like this:

core=normal : NO problems. Windows acts like it did a few weeks ago (a bit slower, naturally !!)

core=full: Does not work at all. Windows is not even able to open the progman-window

core=dynamic : The same problems I have reported in my previous posts.

I hope the information is precise enough now.

Reply 14 of 95, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Is that a straight cvs build?

Reply 15 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes, I have compiled it directly from the official sources.

Reply 18 of 95, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sorry, I overread this.
Edit: just built a recent CVS and will try with Windows 3.x
Edit2: hmm, works without a problem for me

Reply 19 of 95, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have also built the cvs-sources again (10 minutes ago) to assure the problem has not been due to some weird compilation error.

But: The problems remain. core=normal works, whereas core=dynamic or core=auto cause weird stability problems.