VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by headcrab79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had purchased a physical disc copy of Bioshock (the first one) from Half-Price Books and I tried to install it on my PC (Windows 10) . It starts to install fine until the process gets to the point where the wizard tries to download the latest patch from the 2k games website (which no longer supports patches for the retail disc game) . It fails to connect, then the install process stalls, with a message saying that "the Bioshock patch file is corrupt".

I know I can download the latest patch file for the game from third party websites, which I have, and I unzipped it into a copied set of the game files, but that doesn't do any good. Researching on the internet I have found out that 2k games used to offer Steam redemption codes for the retail copies, but that service stopped in 2019. I have already paid $8 for this game and would rather not have to re-buy it off of Steam. Is it possible to somehow get this copy working? If so, I would love to have it explained in thorough step-by-step detail.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: BioShock retail cannot connect to download server

1. Install
2. At dialog error copy folder somewhere else
3. Download "bioshock_patch.gz" aka the game executable http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/patch/b … oshock_patch.gz
4. Install v1.1 Patch
5. Overwrite Bioshock executable with cracked executable (If you don't want the DRM on your system or the OS doesn't support the DRM)

It may or may not be worth looking into modifying the installer with the updated address but it'll just fail again anyway when the website dies. When Bioshock first came out I just downloaded the "patch" and crack and then backed them up.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by headcrab79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2021-07-14, 12:26:
Re: BioShock retail cannot connect to download server […]
Show full quote

Re: BioShock retail cannot connect to download server

1. Install
2. At dialog error copy folder somewhere else
3. Download "bioshock_patch.gz" aka the game executable http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/patch/b … oshock_patch.gz
4. Install v1.1 Patch
5. Overwrite Bioshock executable with cracked executable (If you don't want the DRM on your system or the OS doesn't support the DRM)

It may or may not be worth looking into modifying the installer with the updated address but it'll just fail again anyway when the website dies. When Bioshock first came out I just downloaded the "patch" and crack and then backed them up.

I tried following that but I'm still having the same problem. It seems solving the issue could involve changing the address of the install, but I have no idea how to do that.