VOGONS

First post, by Nikita Afanasev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm making my own game engine and RTS game using Allegro 4 library and Djgpp cross-compiler.
And I'm working and testing on Ubuntu 20.04. The game runs well on Ubuntu.
But when I cross-compile the game for DOS and run it on Dosbox, a serious problem occurs.
From the first screen, where the user can select the menu, mouse pointer moves according to the movement of my mouse.
But if the pointer is on any edge of the screen, game unexpectedly exits, Dosbox says general protection fault error.
I removed all source codes associated to mouse operation, except the install_mouse() function, but it's still same.
Could anybody please help me?
I can't find any reason why it exits in Dosbox so badly. It runs very well on Ubuntu.

Reply 3 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm.

Maybe experiment with different memory managers on your real machine to see if you can replicate the problem there. That might help you narrow it down.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 26, by Nikita Afanasev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-16, 17:31:
Nikita Afanasev wrote on 2021-07-16, 17:26:

This is only about Dosbox, I've already tested in several real machines. Now I'm going to use Dosbox Debugger, but I'm not sure if it will help me.

Does it also crash when running a "real" DOS inside dosbox?

I have tested it using FreeDOS in real machine. But DOSbox uses MS-DOS. Isn't this difference?

Reply 8 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, you can boot a diskimage inside Dosbox to run real Dos instead of Dosbox' emulated one. In layman's term 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox does not use MS-DOS. It emulates a DOS environment with its own system.

Try testing it with MS-DOS in a real machine though and see what happens.

Reply 10 of 26, by Nikita Afanasev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your advice!
I really want to test in real DOS all the time, but it is really uncomfortable to reboot my PC whenever I need to test.
Could you please teach me how to boot DOS image in DOSbox?

Reply 11 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Install DOS in DOSBox

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ideally you want a real DOS machine, not just booting your modern computer with DOS.

You can boot MS-DOS from a USB drive.

If your computer is set up with UEFI boot only rather than legacy boot enabled, you cannot boot MS-DOS from your local drive.

Another testing option that will come closer to authentic hardware than DOSBox is full PC emulators like PCem or QEMU.

Reply 14 of 26, by Nikita Afanasev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then how about FreeDOS?
I think latest FreeDos can be installed on local drive. I tried to install it, but it required to reset all my partitions first.
I will be very happy if you kindly teach me.

I tried with both PCem and QEMU, but emulator is emulator.

Reply 15 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah you would need to restructure your partitions and it may not even work that way.

Again, this is kind of moot if you aren't using an authentic DOS computer... it might be a speed-related issue; who knows.

I do not recommend trying to install DOS on your local drive if you don't already know how to do it, as it involves operations that if done incorrectly will destroy all your data.

Reply 16 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FreeDOS has some major issues with certain hardware that makes it pretty much useless for a retro gaming machine.

Some sound cards will not work with it and there are other issues as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-16, 20:44:

FreeDOS has some major issues with certain hardware that makes it pretty much useless for a retro gaming machine.

Some sound cards will not work with it and there are other issues as well.

I keep hearing that. But if all the hardware works fine in it shood it not be a viable option for folk in stead of the lagacy Doss' which don't have Fat32 support out of the box?

What saying here it is another option to consider as well legacy Doss' d, the likes of DosBox and any other emulators? Another tool in the tool box so to speak.

And shouldn't we be compiling a list of hardware that has actually been proven not to work in FreeDos? Broad states like "FreeDos doesn't support all hardware". A statement like "hardware XXXX does not play nice or work in FreeDos"

Just my toughts.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 18 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it would be nice to have a list of what FreeDOS has issues with. I just see random issues pop up on the forums here and the issues magically go away when they switch from FreeDOS to MS-DOS.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-16, 21:42:

Yeah, it would be nice to have a list of what FreeDOS has issues with. I just see random issues pop up on the forums here and the issues magically go away when they switch from FreeDOS to MS-DOS.

I've just created a thead for. So anyone here can put in there 2cence worth. Pending Mod approval at the moment.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉