VOGONS

First post, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I try to start old Earthsiege under DosBox. Game itself works very good, but not intro schemes.

1. It seems, game not found CD-ROM (because it says just before movies "..intro3.avi not found"). Intro3 is on CD, and readme says "you can see movies in better quality, _if_ you insert CD". So maybe it's "harddisk" movie. But it must not be, because CD-letter clearly seen in the config. (This is letter I).
2. Intro movies way too fast! Of course, I can slow down DosBox, but even on 5000 cycles it still remains faster, then must. Game itself on 5000 is slide-show, so it's definitely not "speed problem" in general. 😀 I try all CPU options in DosBox, but without success. January ykhwong build still have this issue.
3. Windows 98 with the same game config (but without DosBox) haven't this problem. Movies plays as it must (but I don't know about intro3 - speed too fast for me to notice this message).

P.S. Another strange notice: game itself can be throttled in the DosBox up to 30 000 cycles without problems, but sound test in the config overloads my processor even on 10 000. Why it so?

Reply 4 of 7, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm, interesting. ive also noticed that slideshow intro when i was playing earthsiege some months ago. i have an old budget cd-rom of that game (which contains some other dynamix games) so i thought maybe they used only the floppy version for that disk. but i will also do some testing tomorrow...

another guy also complains a similar intro problem here.

sysprofile.png

Reply 5 of 7, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok i did a little testing and found that my earthsiege is a multi-language version.
they have done it the easy way and simply used the floppy disk intro with different subtitles (english, german, france). they all located on a FLIC folder on the CD named DE_INTRO.DFL, FR_INTRO.DFL and INTRO3.DFL (all around 5 MB in size).
there is no INTRO3.AVI file in any directory on the CD and no error message when starting ES. also the floppy intro plays at normal speed (ykhwongs latest CVS, core=dynamic, cycles=max) for me.

but i found a hint in the readme:

CD-ROM INTRODUCTION WITH NO SOUND CARD If you have the CD version of ES, you will need a Sound Card with DAC in order to […]
Show full quote

CD-ROM INTRODUCTION WITH NO SOUND CARD
If you have the CD version of ES, you will need a Sound Card with
DAC in order to view the fully animated introduction and/or death
sequence at proper speed. Without a sound card, these animated
sequences will play at a faster rate.

maybe thats your speed problem...

you can also try copying the intro3.avi file to your install folder and edit the RESOURCE.CFG file to match your settings.
if nothing helps you can only hope that collector have another idea. 😀

sysprofile.png

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to have the FLIC version, too. I have experimented a little and when I install from DOSBox it detects GUS as the soundcard. The game crashes on launch. If I disable GUS in the dosbox.conf it finds a SoundBlaster card and does not crash on launch. With that plus what SysGOD found, I'd say experiment with your soundcard settings, both in the game and in DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 7, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the holydays I again install ES to try various methods.

1. Yes, video is in FLIC folder and DFL. sorry for misleading. I have difficulties with distingush video formats. FLI, AVI, SMK - all of them seems similar for me.
2. I cannot reproduce error. %) Video work right in any sound and DosBox mode, except sound disabling. And under both DosBoxes - official and ykhwong. Question is: why it not works first time? 😀

Thank you, everyone!