VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if this thread will last so I ain't spending any time on it. As the venerable Mr Katter and others could point out, a mere difference of one letter in the name can result in a completely different game.

For example :
The Witcher -> The Itcher
Geralt has decided slaying monsters and stuff is too much work and he has now become an Itcher. People can pay for his services and he will itch them.

Your turn! Add/remove/change one letter of a game to make it something completely different. Try to keep it light and non-psycho. 😀

Reply 1 of 166, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reminds me of this blog post: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20 … 305-00/?p=40373
Apparently one way to catch early DirectX drivers cheating on benchmarks was that they looked for the test program by executable name, so it could be caught by changing one letter.

Reply 3 of 166, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game's original name actually was Puck man. It was changed after the American distributer pointed out the comic potential of the name in English.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 166, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah the loop of that P would have been scratched out on sooooooooooooooo many arcade cabs 🤣

Serious Pam... for Archer Fans obviously.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 166, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Golfenstein... some sort of sequel to Links 386.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 166, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WarCraft > CarCraft

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 11 of 166, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MiG Alley -> Pig Alley

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 166, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Calf-Life (Half-life) maybe a spiritual sequel to Goat simulator?
MotorStore (MotorStorm) I could imagine a Car Tycoon type of game
Mancunt (Manhunt) let's not go there
Tears of War (Gears of War) a This War of Mine sequel?

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 13 of 166, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grand Heft Auto - don't drive them, carry them!
Ball of Duty - serious sports game
Far Fry - long distance cookery sim
Duck Punt - take your favourite duck on a boat ride
No Man's Ski - the icy slopes of proxima centauri c await you
The Lust Of Us - hmmm
Bordersands - desert sim

etc!

Reply 14 of 166, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pommander Keen... guide Martha Stewart through levels to collect fragrant items to make scent balls to keep her closets fresh. (Okay the modern spelling of pomander has one m, but it derives from French pomme so must have had 2 at some point)

Reply 15 of 166, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-07-19, 07:13:

Calf-Life (Half-life) maybe a spiritual sequel to Goat simulator?
MotorStore (MotorStorm) I could imagine a Car Tycoon type of game

Calf life, 🤣 I almost want to play it.
There was a Car Tycoon, but the OG I think auto industry management sim was "Detroit" from '94

Reply 17 of 166, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cannon Folder... It's like those Olympics and track and field games but this time you have to mash a key super fast to get your strongman to bend a cannon in half.

edit: Not to be confused with Canon Fodder, which is a skeet shoot with expensive Japanese cameras as targets.

Reply 18 of 166, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Room. It's like Doom, but the entire game takes place in a single room. You're stuck in the room. There is no escape. Have fun!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.