IMG_20210719_181723.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210719_181723.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yeah, lots of empty space, it's how it goes when you mix an AT board with an ATX case.
Even rebuilding a computer feels like building a "brand new" one, thats for sure.
I also got a ps/2 port that i could use instead of the 9-pin serial port i have, but the pinout on the cable and on the motherboard is different. I want to change the pinout, but i'm not sure what's the easiest way to do it.

So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up; it's a real pain in the arse.

I'm no American.

Reply 41 of 62, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can see little silver bits on the sides of the motherboard connector, those are the latches that hold the pins into it, which if you push on with a jewelers screwdriver, or similar, will allow you to pull them out. Then you can put them back in different holes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42 of 62, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah lots of space in the case! I have my SS7 in a case like that because I refuse to buy an AT one for 100$. I'm sure I'll find one soon.

That motherboard looks very cramped around the CPU. At least you are able to fit a voodoo in there. My 5ali61 barely fits a voodoo 2.

What is Bector? Some local brand in your country? (Funny how the label sais international in that case.)

Reply 43 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-07-19, 17:32:

Yeah lots of space in the case! I have my SS7 in a case like that because I refuse to buy an AT one for 100$. I'm sure I'll find one soon.

That motherboard looks very cramped around the CPU. At least you are able to fit a voodoo in there. My 5ali61 barely fits a voodoo 2.

What is Bector? Some local brand in your country? (Funny how the label sais international in that case.)

Yeah, AT cases became WAY expensive, its just ridiculous.

Yeah, my voodoo1 just has enough space to not touch the cpu. And that intel cooler definitely helps things cool down better.

It's Sector, and honestly I'm not sure, but looks nice so I've kept it on the card.

So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up; it's a real pain in the arse.

I'm no American.

Reply 44 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, ladies and gentlemen...
It's been a while since I've found something nice, but this one is the chosen one.

It is a Compaq Prosignia 200, a machine made for server stuff, but nowadays it's more appropiate for 90's gaming.

prosignia.jpg
Filename
prosignia.jpg
File size
282.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The last owner knew this very well, so it got equipped with a 3DFX Voodoo2, a card I've been looking for for a while now, and a Sound Blaster 32 CT3670 ISA Sound Card, not the greatest but still, it's a Creative card! 😁

cards.jpg
Filename
cards.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Other than these it has a Pentium II 300mhz processor, an S3 Trio64V2/DX video card, a Compaq SCSI controller card (yes, this machine has 2 4gb scsi drives), a usb card which i've installed for the comfort of copying files and drivers to the system.
It had some screwed up bios problems which I was able to solve with creating a Compaq BIOS diskette, then using it to set the machine's RAM properly. It only showed 16mb's instead of 64. Let's hope the battery is not dead, or it will be a PAIN to replace it since it is soldered to the board. 😒

But man, feels good to have such a nice machine. 😀

Last edited by Czeky on 2021-12-15, 07:48. Edited 1 time in total.

I'm no American.

Reply 45 of 62, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Czeky wrote on 2021-12-13, 22:21:

The last owner knew this very well, so it got equipped with a 3DFX Voodoo2, a card I've been looking for for a while now,

Oooh, an InnoVision with 110MHz RAMs. 👌😃

Reply 46 of 62, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-20, 14:59:

What is an AT only Io shield? Is it to use at motherboards in ATX cases? (I did not know they existed.)

Yes. They're very hard to find though. I managed to find one in a job lot of 10 I/O shields on eBay after searching through literally thousands of listings.

DSC_0030.JPG?width=1171&height=778

The "ATX Form Card" (with the USB and PS/2 mouse port) is also pretty hard to come by.

Reply 47 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-14, 11:13:

Oooh, an InnoVision with 110MHz RAMs. 👌😃

Indeed, a really awesome card to have in this Pentium II Compaq. 😀
After screwing around with the USB card I've plopped in, I've managed to install every driver, and thankfully all the cards are working, but I'll be removing the USB card because Windows 95 is not really happy with it, and just going to use some rewritable CD's. I just wanted to try if it is possible to use USB on 95, and it is somewhat.

I'm no American.

Reply 48 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EddieHimself wrote on 2021-12-14, 14:39:

Yes. They're very hard to find though. I managed to find one in a job lot of 10 I/O shields on eBay after searching through literally thousands of listings.

NOW that's clean. 😊

I'm no American.

Reply 49 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, I'm wondering if I can use an IDE hard drive with the machine, because if I can, I won't use the SCSI drives. They are old and also a bit slow. But gonna keep them because they are rarities.

The only thing I fear is the fact that someone had a problem with this and noone answered his question:
https://www.motherboardpoint.com/threads/comp … -drives.259011/

Maybe the BIOS disk allows me to set it up. If it doesnt work then i'll be using the SCSI drives until i get something better. We'll see. 😁

I'm no American.

Reply 50 of 62, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, I do like the Compaq business range. good quality and a bit different.
Don't really know the Prosignia range myself. Only ever got as far as the DeskPro's myself.

Can't see why you cant use IDE. Other searches have people using a standard IDE drive.
I have best luck with adapters that have the Master/Slave jumper.
Although for a PC this "new" I prefer the IDE to SATA adapter route if you don't have any old IDE drives spare.

Reply 51 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the first Prosignia line computer I've owned, and I have learned some about it while discovering it (not really online, its really obscure there as I saw).
I'm really fond of Compaq's, my first computer was a Deskpro 2000 with a Pentium MMX 233 processor and Windows 98. Good times.

Well yeah, figured the same, but who knows what does the BIOS or the motherboard hold secretly that might prevent me from using IDE Hard Drives. Anyway, I'll definitely going to try it.
I'd go with an SD to IDE adapter, really handy and makes file copying a lot easier, and makes the machine a bit more silent.
Until I get one, I'll be using the SCSI drives just to have a bit of fun with them. 🙂

I'm no American.

Reply 52 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it and after setting it up with the BIOS floppy it worked flawlessly.
Used a 160gb samsung IDE drive that i like to use for tests, while it was not been able to get the proper size (only detected 8gb), it was able to boot from it, so yeah, next thing to get is an SD2IDE adapter and an 8gb SD card.

And i also removed the scsi card and scsi drives, made a lot of conflicts with other cards, so it needed to go. Hopefully everything will be fine with the other cards.

I'm no American.

Reply 53 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minor update:
While I still did not find any IDE hard drive, I have determined that the s3 trio64 it had has some graphical glitches, and no, it has no additional vram, so that's out of the question.
So I've bought an S3 Virge, which while is not suitable for 3D games, it is awesome for DOS games and GUI stuff.

s3.jpg
Filename
s3.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Since i have no HDD i've tested the s3 with Damn Small Linux, which can be run from a cd. And thankfully it worked, and also noticed that the motherboard has a LAN connector, which I've mistaken for a Modem connector. That being said, I've connected my LAN cable to the computer and voilá, Google on a Pentium II system:

google on pentium 2.jpg
Filename
google on pentium 2.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Another thing that I've noticed recently is that the riser card had some blown capacitors. I'm not sure what did this, but sheesh, quite scary.

blown caps.jpg
Filename
blown caps.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I thought finding a replacement would be impossible, but no, Ebay had one up for sale, bought it before someone else did.
Since I dont have the skill to replace the caps at the momment, this is the best thing i could do. If I'll start to get into capacitor types and getting better at soldering, i might repair this board.

The more I look at this machine's guts, the more issues I find, but hopefully this is all the issues it has. Might make a video about this machine after it works the way it should, and document all the things I did to it.

I'm no American.

Reply 54 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have returned! 😀
Decided to start building a nice 486 machine, but I also wanted to make it pretty unique in that regard. The main goal was to get parts that are a little bit off from the standard, but still legit.
So I've got some parts recently, dont have every part yet, but the ones I've got I think are pretty good for a start.
First up, the CPU is a Cyrix DX2 66Mhz CPU with IBM Blue Lightning branding (couldn't pass this one after I've saw it 😀 ). I believe 66Mhz will be plenty for my 486 needs.

20220614_103124.jpg
Filename
20220614_103124.jpg
File size
809.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Next up is the Sound card, which is an ESS AudioDrive, got this after I've saw Phil's video on YouTube, can't wait to try it out in action.

20220614_114558.jpg
Filename
20220614_114558.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The videocard is quite a good one, at least from what I've read here, this is a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5429 with VLB support, I originally wanted to go with an S3, but after research I've decided to just go with a better card. It's pretty long, I gotta say. 😁

20220615_120623.jpg
Filename
20220615_120623.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

For mouse I've went with a pretty standard 3-button Logitech mouse, it was pretty yellowed, but 2 weeks on the sun did the trick. 😀

20220619_144908.jpg
Filename
20220619_144908.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And the last item I got is the case, a pretty standard era appropiate 486 case, has some minor yellowing on the front (its on the sun for a week now), and a little bump on the left side of the case.

20220614_114616.jpg
Filename
20220614_114616.jpg
File size
529.88 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Pretty satisfied with my findings for now, but still need to get a good 486 motherboard.
Tips and ideas are welcome, I'm not familiar with 486 at all. ^^"

Last edited by Czeky on 2022-06-27, 08:54. Edited 1 time in total.

I'm no American.

Reply 55 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is what sun did to the mouse under 2 weeks:

20220612_132432.jpg
Filename
20220612_132432.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File comment
Before
File license
Public domain
20220619_144908.jpg
Filename
20220619_144908.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File comment
After
File license
Public domain

😀

I'm no American.

Reply 56 of 62, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Czeky wrote on 2022-06-27, 08:40:

This is what sun did to the mouse under 2 weeks:

Wow, just from sunlight, without any chemicals?

That's an awesome result!

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 57 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-06-27, 08:59:

Wow, just from sunlight, without any chemicals?

That's an awesome result!

Absolutely, I am still shocked how good it turned out! It's not perfect, that needs peroxide or more time, but this is perfect for me.

I'm no American.

Reply 58 of 62, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice collection that you're growing there. Got any benchmarks on that Socket7/Voodoo1 build?

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 59 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
drosse1meyer wrote on 2022-07-10, 01:27:

Nice collection that you're growing there. Got any benchmarks on that Socket7/Voodoo1 build?

Unfortunately, I dont have that machine anymore, the board died from who knows what, and now it doesnt want to start up anymore, even tried an AT power supply, same thing, no power.

So I've decided to build an actual GOOD socket 7 machine. I don't have many parts yet, but I've got a motherboard recently that works perfectly, and has enough things for my needs.
It's a Zida Tomato TX98-3D, a pretty small Baby AT motherboard, and is pretty capable from what I've read and saw on Ultimate Retro.

alaplap.jpg
Filename
alaplap.jpg
File size
779.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It came with a Cyrix MII 300GP, but I wont be using that given how weak the FPU is in Cyrix CPU's, and ordered an AMD k6-2 333mhz from ebay.

The 486 PC is coming together nicely, got a pretty interesting board which has fake cache, its a little bummer, but I know someone who can replace it with legit cache chips, because it is soldered onto the board.

20220706_164259.jpg
Filename
20220706_164259.jpg
File size
1.95 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I also got a controller card, but it seems like the card has an issue with reading the floppy disk, when it starts reading it, it hangs up the whole system, not even ctrl alt delete does anything, only the reset button and power switch has effect on it. And I know that the floppy drives are working fine, i've tested them before.
Thankfully at least it reads the HDD fine, so i was able to test DOOM on it, and it runs nicely, the turbo button also works really nicely! 😀

20220719_212256.jpg
Filename
20220719_212256.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm pretty glad that the 486 PC is already at a working state, albeit without a 100% working controller card, but nothing is perfect. Still, going to look out for an VLB controller card, might make a change for the better.

Also i'm not really that heavy on benchmarks yet, but I'd like to change this in the future.

Also, big sorry for the late answer, I dont really look up to this site often, so apologies for that.

I'm no American.