OPTi 924 - 1.0.zip
File size
85.84 KiB
Downloads
478 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hopefully you like his work!

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 13, by DragonSphere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am the author of this driver and have finally managed to join the Vogons. 😀

derSammler wrote on 2019-11-16, 19:02:

Is he actually still working on them? There weren't any updates since early 2019.

I'm using the 929 ones since they were relased for my miro PC10 and they are quite nice.

I didn't work on this project anymore, because the driver works very well for me in the latest version.
What annoyed me was that with my OPTi soundcards many games didn't work or didn't work well, I had to initialize twice in Autoexec.bat and with different driver versions different games worked better or worse.
With my driver and tweaking with different settings I was able to reduce the quirks of my Miro PCM10, Miro FM10 and Shuttle HOT 233 a lot.
The compatibility of the OPTi 929 cards remains difficult and there are much better sound cards available, but at least this way you have the possibility to do something about it yourself without multiple calls in the Autoexec or multiple driver versions installed side by side. That was what I wanted to achieve with this.

Are you still missing functions in the driver or have you found bugs?

The only bug that was still reported to me and that I did not fix is an overflow error when testing the settings in the setup. It probably does not work on very fast systems. I couldn't reproduce the error on my retro PCs myself and so I couldn't fix it.
But this shouldn't be a problem, because the actual driver also works on fast systems and it only affects the testing of the settings in the setup.

Reply 3 of 13, by leandro_tami

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DragonSphere wrote on 2020-09-21, 07:15:
Hi, I am the author of this driver and have finally managed to join the Vogons. :) […]
Show full quote

Hi, I am the author of this driver and have finally managed to join the Vogons. 😀

derSammler wrote on 2019-11-16, 19:02:

Is he actually still working on them? There weren't any updates since early 2019.

I'm using the 929 ones since they were relased for my miro PC10 and they are quite nice.

I didn't work on this project anymore, because the driver works very well for me in the latest version.
What annoyed me was that with my OPTi soundcards many games didn't work or didn't work well, I had to initialize twice in Autoexec.bat and with different driver versions different games worked better or worse.
With my driver and tweaking with different settings I was able to reduce the quirks of my Miro PCM10, Miro FM10 and Shuttle HOT 233 a lot.
The compatibility of the OPTi 929 cards remains difficult and there are much better sound cards available, but at least this way you have the possibility to do something about it yourself without multiple calls in the Autoexec or multiple driver versions installed side by side. That was what I wanted to achieve with this.

Are you still missing functions in the driver or have you found bugs?

The only bug that was still reported to me and that I did not fix is an overflow error when testing the settings in the setup. It probably does not work on very fast systems. I couldn't reproduce the error on my retro PCs myself and so I couldn't fix it.
But this shouldn't be a problem, because the actual driver also works on fast systems and it only affects the testing of the settings in the setup.

Hi! I just tried using your driver with a card of mine in a 80386SX without numeric coprocessor and no mouse. I had some issues so I thought you may be interested on hearing about it. I copied the three .EXEs and the .COM and ran SETUP, then I realized I couldn't do some stuff as disabling MPU401 without a mouse. I installed one and then I tested settings but this causes runtime errors or just freezes the computer. Disabling MPU401 allows it to move forward in the tests a little more but still it freezes. The noises on the soundcard are strong, as if all volumes were to the max. I still haven't found a way to make it work, it also seems to fail the IRQ test no matter if I pick 5 or 7 (I thought this was a plug and play card)

edit. I forgot to mention, the computer has 8MB ram

Reply 5 of 13, by DragonSphere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leandro_tami wrote on 2021-01-28, 02:06:

Hi! I just tried using your driver with a card of mine in a 80386SX without numeric coprocessor and no mouse. I had some issues so I thought you may be interested on hearing about it. I copied the three .EXEs and the .COM and ran SETUP, then I realized I couldn't do some stuff as disabling MPU401 without a mouse. I installed one and then I tested settings but this causes runtime errors or just freezes the computer. Disabling MPU401 allows it to move forward in the tests a little more but still it freezes. The noises on the soundcard are strong, as if all volumes were to the max. I still haven't found a way to make it work, it also seems to fail the IRQ test no matter if I pick 5 or 7 (I thought this was a plug and play card)

edit. I forgot to mention, the computer has 8MB ram

Sorry for my late reply. Unfortunately, I haven't been by here for far too long.
I'm sorry that my program doesn't work for you and that such a really annoying bug occurs.
It is strange for me that switching on the MPU leads to a crash and affects the mouse control. That the IRQ test fails can have several reasons. Sounds to me like a bit of a resource conflict in your system. The OPTi 929 chip is not plug and play capable, but 924 and 931 are. What sound card did you try with the driver?

Have you tried saving the settings without testing them , initialize and then starting the mixer or a game? This should at least show whether the volume is set correctly and if you can play something with the IRQ, DMA Settings.

By the way, with the parameter /K you can force the keyboard control in the setup if there are problems with the mouse detetction. Simply start "Setup.exe /K".

The 924 driver was an attempt by me to transfer my driver for the 929 to this, in many respects very similar, controller chip. It worked well with the one card I have with this chip, but I didn't test it that intensively. Therefore, there may still be a few bugs in it. The driver for the Opti 929, on the other hand, was used, tested and further developed by me much more.
I used a 486 DX4 100 MHz with 32 MB and DOS 6.22 to write the driver but it should not be the coprocessor. I can, however, check the compiler settings again and post a version that is guaranteed not to contain any code for coprocessors.

Spitz wrote on 2021-01-29, 10:02:

Great driver working like a charm!

This is how it should be 😀
What kind of system are you using the driver on?

Reply 6 of 13, by sarp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great work DragonSphere ! Many thanks to you.
Im using the 924 driver on my 924 1845 card.
It very useful for pure dos setup of mine.
After testing using it for a while i found some kind of bug that previously not appearing.
If i put it in WSS Mode, DMA is now always shown as Disabled (/info parameter).
I did try it with different DMA on setup, and make sure that it free, but init will always shows it as disabled.
Then i test it in Warcraft 2 to make sure that its not just cosmestic bug, but then sound setup on Digital Sound will make my PC freeze if im using WSS Mode all the time.
Once a while i remember using it just fine, but now its not.

Reply 7 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

w00t, just found an Opti card, nice to have options. Feedback might be a while coming, I'm kinda working my way back in time through the stash, 'coz most of the newest stuff was at the front/top.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 13, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works - somewhat. My system is somewhat complex (486 EISA with SCSI, as well as an EISA video card) but I had an OPTi 931 in there (I think that's going right back in) which worked fine with UNISOUND.

This driver corrupts the screen on DOOM1 and DOOM2 just crashes, whereas Dune2 works just fine, even after changing the address (so it doesn't conflict with the SCSI card).

I'll try this on a simpler P133 - the sound on Dune2 was pretty good though 😉

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 12 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-03-27, 22:43:

Does anyone know where to get the 929 driver? I clicked the link, but I don't see an option to download it.

Attached
setup.bat for mouse mode (its easy and more compatible with high speed computers)

Attachments

• Filename
    UTILITY.zip
    File size
    101.11 KiB
    Downloads
    6 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 13 of 13, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fjardest wrote on 2024-03-28, 16:34:

Click on code -> download zip. Or click on the exe files to get only them.

Thank you! I am still learning how to navigate github!

Babasha wrote on 2024-03-28, 17:36:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-03-27, 22:43:

Does anyone know where to get the 929 driver? I clicked the link, but I don't see an option to download it.

Attached
setup.bat for mouse mode (its easy and more compatible with high speed computers)

Many thanks!