VOGONS

First post, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mouser.com tech support was not able to identify it, and r/AMD and r/AskElectronics hasn't come up with an answer either.

Taking my shot in here.

Honestly, I should have come to y'all first :p

It is a surface mount (SMD) capacitor.

https://preview.redd.it/lr72ps0thdc71.jpg?wid … df7c6eda9b716c9
It's the top cap in the group on the left

Sorry if the picture isn't great. I taped it back in place to preserve the location and orientation of the cap

The markings on the cap are:
NA
J

The card started artifacting badly several years ago. I identified several bulging capacitors (which I have successfully found the replacements for with the help of mouser.com tech support.) and put the card into storage with the intention of recapping it at some point in the future (now, apparently)

At some point when moving it around in my box o' GPUs the surface mount cap in question came off. It cleanly came off the board, so I could actually probably successfully re-attach it to the card as is, but, given how old all the capacitors on his card are, I'd really like to re-cap the whole thing.

The problem lies in that I've thus far been unsuccessful in identifying this cap to find a suitable replacement.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

470µF
J would be 63v ? seems high
363 date code.

if you can measure the voltage on them, do so, then double it to get a reasonable capacitor voltage .

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 7, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’s very hard to believe that bulging caps would cause artifacts. They could, however, contribute to permanent VRAM damage.

Anyway, if you really want to replace the caps, go with Panasonic EEE-FK series, 470uF, 16V. You can’t go wrong. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 3 of 7, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone on reddit pointed me at vgamuseum.info's page on the 9800 Pro.
This is the same config as my card, and the caps are labelled a little differently (better)
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/zaatharen/at … 9800Pro_fhq.jpg
Looks like they are SMD 470uf 6.3V caps
Someone else mentioned the J means 5% "tolerance"
Anybody have any idea what that means?

Reply 4 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just means that the capacitor value may deviate by 5% before being considered defective.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 7, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GooseNipples wrote on 2021-07-20, 22:51:
Someone on reddit pointed me at vgamuseum.info's page on the 9800 Pro. This is the same config as my card, and the caps are lab […]
Show full quote

Someone on reddit pointed me at vgamuseum.info's page on the 9800 Pro.
This is the same config as my card, and the caps are labelled a little differently (better)
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/zaatharen/at … 9800Pro_fhq.jpg
Looks like they are SMD 470uf 6.3V caps
Someone else mentioned the J means 5% "tolerance"
Anybody have any idea what that means?

As I said, go with Panasonic EEE-FK series, 470uF, 16V. As long as a capacitor fits, there's nothing wrong with using a higher voltage rating (which is the maximum voltage allowed).
Yes, those original capacitors are most likely rated for a maximum of 6.3V.

Still, don't get your hopes up. Those artifacts that you're seeing are most likely caused by a VRAM issue, or - worst case scenario - by a a faulty GPU.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 6 of 7, by GooseNipples

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I figure, for a few dollars worth of capacitors, it's worth a shot to see if she'll work again.

Even if it just becomes a paperweight on a shelf somewhere, I'll never get rid of it 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GooseNipples wrote on 2021-07-21, 12:07:

Even if it just becomes a paperweight on a shelf somewhere, I'll never get rid of it 😀

I totally understand 😁