VOGONS

Star Trek: Starfleet Command III

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by AlDaja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, wanted to check in since yochenhsieh originally discovered this issue with Windows 10. At the time , I had suggested using Razor and it seemed to have worked, but this was earlier last year before Windows had updated. The warp bug continues to be an issue for SFC3 and am curious to know if any progress has been made getting this issue corrected.

The laptop I'm using also uses an AMD Radeon and it is up to date with the current 20.2.1 version for my system.

Note, I am not a programmer or techie, just a modder of SFC3. If anyone does indeed find a solution please let me know so I can update with a fix and/or download link for my mods.

Reply 21 of 27, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's very accidental if warp is visible or not. This problem is not related to the gpu-driver but to dgVoodoo itself. Somehow in a subtle way.
dgVoodoo gets invalid vertex coordinates from the game when it's not visible, but I failed to discover the reason and no progress since then.

As far as I remember the game stores the objects data (like the meshes of the ships) in dynamically allocated structures and that's where the vertex data comes from.
I think the invalid data itself is generated when a level is loaded but I couldn't catch it.

Reply 22 of 27, by AlDaja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I'd agree something within dgVoodoo is amplifying whatever is going on with the latest update with Windows 10, as earlier last year using dgVoodoo with Windows 10 caused sporadic issues with the warp effect, but typically could be corrected using Razor Cortex. I noticed that the warp effect is completely missing since Windows 10 updated a few weeks back, but without dgVoodoo, SFCIII gets all kind of goofy.

Reply 23 of 27, by AlDaja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, hopefully this works for everyone. Windows 10 updated to version 1909 and I notice in the update there was some corrections/updates to the graphic inconsistencies in Windows and now the warp bug appears to have been resolved. My graphic card info:

CPU
AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
4 Cores

This is using the current 2020 dgVoodoo + reShade update and SFC Launcher available for download here: https://hotandspicyforums.com/downloads-sfc-f15/

EDIT: I should clarify, that dgVoodoo may still be causing an issue for some system setups. After updating and restarting the computer, the issue returned; however, running the game through Razor Cortex and using its game/system clean and defrag and then letting it pare with the SFC Launcher, re-corrected the warp bug glitch. Have not had the render issue return when the ships go to warp. May not be a complete fix, but hoping when Windows/dgVoodoo has its next updates this issue will be resolved completely.

Reply 24 of 27, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news. The latest WIP73 fixed the notorious bug.
dgVoodoo 2.7.x and related WIP versions

I tested using Direct3D 11 (feature level 11.0) because my graphic card (AMD HD8250) is not DX12 capable, but please try if you have different result as this is still a WIP version.

Reply 26 of 27, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DGvoodoo2 works for Starfleet Command III from 2.7 until 2.73.
Since 2.74 there will be some color weirdness on UI, planets and space background. But this is only observed with AMD radeon graphics.
This is normal screenshot in 2.73

SCR00000.png
Filename
SCR00000.png
File size
407.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This is in 2.74-2.75.1, note upper-right ui showing weird red color, the planet seems using 16-bit or 8-bit color.

SCR00001.png
Filename
SCR00001.png
File size
324.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain