First post, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For playing this game with dgvoodoo2, another wrapper is required:
Reference: DS9 Dominion Wars wrapper fix
Download wrapper -> http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/dw/

1. install the game.
2. patch to v1.04 (there are different versions, US, EuroEnglish, German, each with different patch). The last v1.05 patch is buggy, don't use it.
3. (optional) use a no-cd crack (replace ds9dw.exe).
4. use a hexeditor to edit ds9dw.exe and replace ddraw.dll to ddra2.dll (two places to replace).
5. copy the wrapper ddra2.dll into game folder.
=== at this stage, game should be playable ===
I heard game may not start if resolution is more than 1600 in width. So you might need to reduce resolution before playing. (unsure because I have 1366x768 screen.)

Play with dgvoodoo2:
1. Extract ddraw.dll, d3d8.dll, d3dimm.dll, dgvoodoo.conf, dgvoodoocpl.exe to game folder.
(Optional) adjust full screen scaling mode to your preference.
2. Start game.

However, whether playing with dgvoodoo2 or not, the frame rate is very low in the missions. I have AMD R3 3300X and GTX 1660super, and in mission only gets less than 20fps. (Last year I posted that dgvoodoo2 could help with low frame rate, but not any more on new hardware.)

Reply 1 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yochenhsieh wrote on 2021-03-09, 13:36:

However, whether playing with dgvoodoo2 or not, the frame rate is very low in the missions. I have AMD R3 3300X and GTX 1660super, and in mission only gets less than 20fps. (Last year I posted that dgvoodoo2 could help with low frame rate, but not any more on new hardware.)

I tried this on a GTX 1070 a while ago (even have a short video of it). It shouldn't run at 20 FPS on a 1660, so I suspect something else is wrong.

That said I tried it again now on a RTX 3090 and while average framerate was still pretty good, there were some nasty stutters that were eliminated by changing dgVoodoo's Output API to Direct3D 12, so try that.

yochenhsieh wrote on 2021-03-09, 13:36:

I heard game may not start if resolution is more than 1600 in width. So you might need to reduce resolution before playing. (unsure because I have 1366x768 screen.)

You do, but you want to use Window's compatibility mode "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" for this so the change is temporary and doesn't rearrange your windows. If you use any of dgVoodoo's resolution/scaling options you also need to set the hidden "Desktop resolution" setting to your screen resolution.

Reply 3 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try enabling "Fast video memory access". Last time I tried this game it was pretty important for performance. I can't test it at its native resolution (which is just 60 FPS locked for me now), but at 15x it increases the framerate from 15 to 45.

Reply 4 of 8, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since 2.75, in-game graphic renders incorrectly:

Normal gameplay screenshot:

ds9dw 274.png
Filename
ds9dw 274.png
File size
362.55 KiB
Views