VOGONS

Reply 19500 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found that back portion of that horrible, huge multi-madia system I'd cut up for recycling. I'm ussing the cpu grill portion for the internal peripheral bay. Also added a bit of rubber beading to the modded slimline HP psu side grills figures wont be cut while handing it.

Attachments

• 20130117_045001.jpg
    Filename
    20130117_045001.jpg
    File size
    660.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19501 of 27411, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-20, 20:01:

Found that back portion of that horrible, huge multi-madia system I'd cut up for recycling. I'm ussing the cpu grill portion for the internal peripheral bay. Also added a bit of rubber beading to the modded slimline HP psu side grills figures wont be cut while handing it.

Hah, you could have used this classic guide to trim that down to a small form factor...
https://web.archive.org/web/20060407080131/ht … us_desktop1.php

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19502 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-21, 01:07:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-20, 20:01:

Hah, you could have used this classic guide to trim that down to a small form factor...
https://web.archive.org/web/20060407080131/ht … us_desktop1.php

Thank you for the most useful link...😉

Reply 19503 of 27411, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GuillermoXT wrote on 2021-07-19, 21:52:

A good friend repaired my PC-CHIPS M326 motherboard but now we need a Bios dump of V2.7
can anyone help us out please?

Any reason why you need version 2.7? version 5.2 seems to be available here: http://leoandfanny.bplaced.net/vintagecompute … M326/index.html
Also: maybe opening a new thread will gather more views?

Reply 19504 of 27411, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I went about "fixing" the "not working sold as is" TI-99/4A that I bought today. I say "fixing" because all the issues it had were simple to fix, and are mostly gone after a bit of work. The issue with the system not turning on was down to the transformer's inline fuse being blown. I know it isn't the safest thing to do to run without a fuse, but having a system that powers on is preferable to one that won't.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

After that, I went and tried to figure out why the keyboard wasn't working well, and learned that that problem could be fixed by peeling and re-seating the membrane. Now that that is done, only some keys are double-typing, and just the I key is non-working. I'll pull it apart again sometime soon to fix that as well.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 19505 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Network(wireless and wired) sorted. Added a small chassis fan next to the ON/OFF switch. Why you ask? Everyone needs a few fans in this Fartbook, Tweeter world....😉

Attachments

• 20130118_060704.jpg
    Filename
    20130118_060704.jpg
    File size
    683.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-21, 22:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19506 of 27411, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went through my big box games collection, prepped the Mac SE FDHD to put it on e-bay, and am cleaning up my closet. The downsizing has begun. I'm thinking tonight I'm going t hook up either the 286 or the 486 since they have 5.25" drives and 3.5" drives in them and rip all my diskettes, and maybe upload some stuff to Vetusware or the Internet ARchive since I have some pretty weird stuff I've not seen online. I also found about 20 or so blank 1.44M Floppy diskettes I can use now.

Might be getting rid of some of the big boxes as well, I have a tower of about 12-15 SIerra games from the 80's in boxes with the original disks and even the notes of the previous owner in them. I took pictures of all of the games including the box contents. Not sure what I'll be letting go and keeping of those yet.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 19507 of 27411, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2021-07-21, 03:48:

A good friend repaired my PC-CHIPS M326 motherboard but now we need a Bios dump of V2.7

Any reason why you need version 2.7? version 5.2 seems to be available here: http://leoandfanny.bplaced.net/vintagecompute … M326/index.html

Do you think it will work? I thougt the different revisions have different chipsets and bios so trying a file for another rev. can´t make it run .

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 19508 of 27411, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did some sound driver hacking for the NEC Versa M/75 (it has that cantankerous Crystal CL-4231-KQ chip and no OPL). I've been working on this slowly so that I can put it on my site and people can finally put that WSS Chipset to use.

First was The 7th Guest. The version I have needed to have a patch (there are 2) installed to even get Windows Sound System as an option in the installer. Still not working as sndsys.com (DIGPAK driver) won't find the chip when Groovie.ini has the IRQ set to "Default" "5" "7" "10" or "11". Basically it uses WSS.ADV for the non-existent OPL, and sndsys.com for the PCM. I found the game did not end with an error saying the Interrupt Vector was not found if I put the IRQ as -1 like a lot of games detect from this chip....so I'm going to probably need to either hack-it deeper, or I'm going to need to do some more observation of the behavior of this chip.

Next was the GOG Talkie version of Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist. Which turned out to be a resource allocation issue. Needed to edit the resources in Resource.ini to e:\sierra\FPFPCD\Audio as it was just pointing to the FPFPCD Directory. I also set the Audio Buffers to "4" and the audio is very crisp and clear on that game. Not too surprising, seems Sierra had the best WSS Support.

Interesting hack was Abuse. So, I'm starting to figure out what sound systems are used on what games based on what the setup menu looks like and what discreet drivers (if any) are present in the game directories. DIGPAK was 7th Guest.....which does not seem to get along with this chip very well because for some reason any auto-detects give it an IRQ of -1, probably because it's a "Codec" and not a full blown sound system. But this one was also the easiest to hack. Turns out Blood & Magic uses the same sound system, likely a later version, and I was basically able to just cut and paste in the line from setsound.ini for 06 Windows Sound System 530, -1, 1, 1 and was able to basically get it to turn up and work. Basically a copy+paste between the BAM And Abuse resource files is what worked. Pretty nifty.

I did some other games earlier this year as well. Either way, I think I'm finally getting the hang of getting this thing working in DOS. There were a few other games where I was copying *.ADV, *.DIG, and *.DRV files over and editing the resource files to get sound working with the new drivers.

Another thing I'm doing is thinking of tinkering with making my own PCMCIA sound cards at some point - maybe. All depends on if I can figure out my own PCMCIA dev-board. that can be wired into a breadboard. for testing. I was doing some looking at the ESS688 datasheet and reading some of YYZKEVIN's thread. Based on the sample diagram in the ESS688 datasheet - it looks quite doable. I was thinking I'd make 2 cards, one Adlib only, the other Adlib + ESS688 (ESS688 does not have it's own controller). Maybe if I score another P/75 I might also look at how the sound card in that is wired.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 19509 of 27411, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GuillermoXT wrote on 2021-07-22, 06:47:
aha2940 wrote on 2021-07-21, 03:48:

Do you think it will work? I thougt the different revisions have different chipsets and bios so trying a file for another rev. can´t make it run .

I am not sure, since I am not really familiar with hardware older than 486/Pentium PCs, but if that number refers to the BIOS version, then it may work. If, on the other hand, the number refers to the version of the board, it may or may not work. Several questions here: Does you motherboard match the picture posted on the link I put before? if it does not: does it look very different? or only minor differences? is your board working now, even partially? or it does nothing at all? finally: if your board has a removable BIOS chip, is it erasable (EPROM or EEPROM)? if so, you may get access to an EPROM programmer, backup the current contents of the EPROM, write the BIOS version 5.2 to it and see what you get. Worst case, your board does not boot, you can erase the chip again and write its original contents to it, no harm done, but if it works, then bingo!

Reply 19510 of 27411, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my first video up that actually stars my voice.. Not amazing but learned some good editing bits along the way and also learned that recording your own voice is not as easy as I imagined. A few pppPOPpps in it but I will get better.

Repair and restore a Pentium 3 TINY laptop.

https://youtu.be/Cgz8_1pfgQE

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 19511 of 27411, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-07-23, 10:34:

Got my first video up that actually stars my voice.. Not amazing but learned some good editing bits along the way and also learned that recording your own voice is not as easy as I imagined. A few pppPOPpps in it but I will get better.

Nice.

I used to have one of those, got it 2nd hand back in the mid-2000s and it got quite a lot of use for a few years. Was a nice little laptop. Yours is a little faster, I just had a 1.0GHz Coppermine.

It kept throwing tantrums towards the end of it's life, but wouldn't give up - eventually the battery failed and the laptop stopped charging replacement batteries entirely soon after, so it got used permanently plugged in. Then the power button failed, had to bodge the connection with some solder. Finally the DC socket gave out and started smoking. At that point, I gave up with it and cannibalised it. 🤣

Reply 19512 of 27411, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PTherapist wrote on 2021-07-23, 11:41:
Nice. […]
Show full quote
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-07-23, 10:34:

Nice.

I used to have one of those, got it 2nd hand back in the mid-2000s and it got quite a lot of use for a few years. Was a nice little laptop. Yours is a little faster, I just had a 1.0GHz Coppermine.

It kept throwing tantrums towards the end of it's life, but wouldn't give up - eventually the battery failed and the laptop stopped charging replacement batteries entirely soon after, so it got used permanently plugged in. Then the power button failed, had to bodge the connection with some solder. Finally the DC socket gave out and started smoking. At that point, I gave up with it and cannibalised it. 🤣

Sounds like you really held onto it as long as you could! I have found it really easy to work on. This one is a 1.1ghz coppermine. Was pleasantly surprised to see it run max payne really well!

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 19514 of 27411, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-07-23, 12:24:

Cool! But jeez they made it complicated to change that HDD! 😁

I was in a modern-ish Asus a couple or three weeks ago, separated some squirrely seagate, swapped SSD, (Always alliterate advantageously) and that was buried. I'm gonna try and remember to only buy machines with hatches in the bottom for everything (didn't choose that one)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19515 of 27411, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I dug out the wrong box... still looking for voodoos and socket 7s...

Attachments

• 286486386reduced.jpg
    Filename
    286486386reduced.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    One 286 board at the bottom right, spot the board with the 386 socket.
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 19516 of 27411, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-23, 20:50:

That would be the centre board, that says 80386 in the middle of the white socket. Not hard to spot 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19518 of 27411, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2021-07-23, 21:07:

That would be the centre board, that says 80386 in the middle of the white socket. Not hard to spot 😀

Well there's no fooling you with the Weitek sockets 🤣

Reply 19519 of 27411, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2021-07-23, 21:12:

I never saw ISA slot condoms before. Now I have, thanks! 😀

I was trying to remember WTF I did there 2 decades ago... I think I was running it on the baseplate of a small form factor system with a HDD that had spiky bottom through hole components on it's interface board, that was just sitting on top of the slots, and I didn't want it shorting anything.