VOGONS

Reply 80 of 307, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another happy customer here - the X2GS sounds really gorgeous. I love the deep bass and atmospheric reverb.

P1060492.JPG
Filename
P1060492.JPG
File size
335.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 81 of 307, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2021-07-12, 11:49:

Another happy customer here - the X2GS sounds really gorgeous. I love the deep bass and atmospheric reverb.

P1060492.JPG

Having also received my X2GS, I have to said it is excellent and a wonderful product. In fact I'm going to sell my regular X2 (I guess at a discount) since with the WP32 McCake plus the X2GS I have pretty much everything I need: WP32 in MT-32 mode for early DOS games, and X2GS for later games.

I'm wondering btw, since the X2 and X2GS designs are very similar, if the current X2 stock at www.serdashop.com could be converted to X2GS (I suppose through flashing the SPI flash chip?) In this way even if the X2GS stock runs out, it could be restocked with converted X2.

Reply 82 of 307, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cde wrote on 2021-07-25, 08:09:

Having also received my X2GS, I have to said it is excellent and a wonderful product. In fact I'm going to sell my regular X2 (I guess at a discount) since with the WP32 McCake plus the X2GS I have pretty much everything I need: WP32 in MT-32 mode for early DOS games, and X2GS for later games.

I'm wondering btw, since the X2 and X2GS designs are very similar, if the current X2 stock at www.serdashop.com could be converted to X2GS (I suppose through flashing the SPI flash chip?) In this way even if the X2GS stock runs out, it could be restocked with converted X2.

Yes i think X2GS + WP32 is the perfect combo.
Licensing wise, X2GS needs to be considered as different product,
licensing restrictions prohibit field updating of X2 to X2GS.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 83 of 307, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used the provided software to update the config of my X2GS and it worked well - I dialed down the amp on the GS bank and reversed the stereo. I've also tried switching to the user bank via the .mid files available on the Serdashop website and that worked OK too - I'm using dosmid.exe. I notice though that when I switch back to the Roland patchset it doesn't sound right - no reverb and it's quieter.

Is that expected? It's like the equalizer settings get messed up by the switching - do I also need to do a GS reset or something? If I reboot the PC it's back to sounding freaking amazing.

Reply 84 of 307, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2021-07-25, 10:30:

I used the provided software to update the config of my X2GS and it worked well - I dialed down the amp on the GS bank and reversed the stereo. I've also tried switching to the user bank via the .mid files available on the Serdashop website and that worked OK too - I'm using dosmid.exe. I notice though that when I switch back to the Roland patchset it doesn't sound right - no reverb and it's quieter.

Is that expected? It's like the equalizer settings get messed up by the switching - do I also need to do a GS reset or something? If I reboot the PC it's back to sounding freaking amazing.

I'm just wondering why you need to reverse the stereo, it is because your sound card has the left and right reversed for the wavetable header?

Reply 85 of 307, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cde wrote on 2021-07-25, 10:48:

I'm just wondering why you need to reverse the stereo, it is because your sound card has the left and right reversed for the wavetable header?

Yeah I use a YMF719 based Labway and they have reversed stereo on the wavetable header - an easy mod exists to fix it but not as easy as this option.

Reply 86 of 307, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazer42 wrote on 2021-05-25, 17:58:
dreamblaster wrote on 2021-05-25, 17:19:
Lazer42 wrote on 2021-05-25, 17:02:

Looking at the patch list, is this essentially a wavetable of the SC-88?

Officially i cannot call it like that

Let me ask differently then: am I correct that these are the same waveforms or at least the same patch list?

They are distant relations at best. The Roland GS implementation in the X2GS is just basic Roland GS - as defined by Roland themselves - meant for playback of Roland GS MIDI and is not equivalent to the SC-88/SC-88 Pro, which has more sounds and is intended for music creation. While it would be possible to use a sound bank that fully covers that hardware (and any newer Sound Canvas hardware), it would cost more money and require more memory on the X2GS module, not to mention the approval of Roland, which likely wouldn't happen given the existence of the Virtual Sound Canvas software that Roland markets to retro Synth enthusiasts. It is best to appreciate and enjoy the X2GS for what it is, an economical and practical way to enjoy high-quality Roland GS MIDI on your new or old computer, without too much hassle or expense on your part.

Reply 87 of 307, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Detailed A/B comparisons or reviews might be fun information to have, eventually. Probably already exist (??).

Where technicians like ourselves directly look at the Sound Canvas vs X2GS in a gamer's context, and outline the pros and cons of each.

Don't look at me! - I'm only fortunate enough to own the former item (an SC-55-II), for now.

Reply 88 of 307, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The X2GS has a newer sample set at higher resolution than the 90's era SC hardware modules and cards. Because of advances in technology, it can output sound at higher quality than the classic SC hardware, but does not have as many sounds as a preferred hardware module would and the only accurate comparison would be comparing it to an early, basic SC hardware module. If there is a successor to the X2GS, I would hope that it incorporates a "full-size" GS sample bank instead of having the onboard memory divided between a small GS bank and a larger GM one that most people won't likely use anyway, since the product is aimed at retro enthusiasts that play games with Roland GS MIDI music.

Reply 89 of 307, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find that it is comparable in soundset and functionality to my SD-35 which is basically a GM only version of the SC-55. It probably has better fidelity though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 90 of 307, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rather nerdy technical question - @dreamblaster I have already X3MB. Setting aside form factor and GS licensed soundbank would this card be upgrade for me? While both are based on dream 5000 series synth chip you are specifically bringing up X3MB low latency (<1ms) implementation on X3MB product page while omitting latency aspect from X2GS specification.

Also how about DAC implementation? Are X3MB amd X2GS identical?

Last edited by vutt on 2021-07-30, 15:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 91 of 307, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamblaster wrote:

Hi,
Just out of curiosity:
Can the address space separation be implemented with a firmware upgrade on Dreamblaster X2/X3? I mean without the licensed Roland bank. Just the ability to load 2 different 'user' sound banks and switch between them with the same method as on the X2GS. I think it would be very useful for the owners of old X2/X3 considering the relatively slow process of soundbank uploads and the big enough 64MB space that could easily be divided to contain 2 different soundbanks.
The same 48MB/16MB ratio would be perfect for the X2/X3 also since currently there is no known Dream compatible soundbank that would require more than 48 MB.
Or as a compromise (to exactly copy the current implementation of X2GS) the upper 16MB would contain the v2.03 Dream-CleanWave mandatory soundbank and only the lower 48MB would be usable for user soundbanks.
Thanks in advance.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 92 of 307, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-07-29, 11:33:
Hi, Just out of curiosity: Can the address space separation be implemented with a firmware upgrade on Dreamblaster X2/X3? I mea […]
Show full quote
dreamblaster wrote:

Hi,
Just out of curiosity:
Can the address space separation be implemented with a firmware upgrade on Dreamblaster X2/X3? I mean without the licensed Roland bank. Just the ability to load 2 different 'user' sound banks and switch between them with the same method as on the X2GS. I think it would be very useful for the owners of old X2/X3 considering the relatively slow process of soundbank uploads and the big enough 64MB space that could easily be divided to contain 2 different soundbanks.
The same 48MB/16MB ratio would be perfect for the X2/X3 also since currently there is no known Dream compatible soundbank that would require more than 48 MB.
Or as a compromise (to exactly copy the current implementation of X2GS) the upper 16MB would contain the v2.03 Dream-CleanWave mandatory soundbank and only the lower 48MB would be usable for user soundbanks.
Thanks in advance.

hi yes, that sure is technically possible to make such firmware
except there is no bootloader in X2
so no firmware update.

Reply 93 of 307, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamblaster wrote on 2021-07-29, 16:46:
hi yes, that sure is technically possible to make such firmware except there is no bootloader in X2 so no firmware update. […]
Show full quote
Hi, Just out of curiosity: Can the address space separation be implemented with a firmware upgrade on Dreamblaster X2/X3? I mea […]
Show full quote
dreamblaster wrote:

Hi,
Just out of curiosity:
Thanks in advance.

so no firmware update.

Ahh, I see. Thanks. So there is no such option for current X2/X3 owners but maybe future owners could benefit from a new revision that implements this feature.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 94 of 307, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-07-29, 22:54:
dreamblaster wrote on 2021-07-29, 16:46:
hi yes, that sure is technically possible to make such firmware except there is no bootloader in X2 so no firmware update. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi,
Just out of curiosity:
Thanks in advance.

so no firmware update.

Ahh, I see. Thanks. So there is no such option for current X2/X3 owners but maybe future owners could benefit from a new revision that implements this feature.

DREAM has a program and interface toolset used for such things. It's meant for devs and not end-users, so it's not something that is (technically) an option, unless you are a gear-head who wants to get into that sort of thing and pay for your own hardware to do it.

Reply 95 of 307, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two more demos have been put on the Serdaco YouTube channel, Doom and Warcraft songs. This sounds as good as one could hope and has that genuine Roland GS feel to it. If you have an old soundcard with a Waveblaster interface and decent audio output, this definitely seems like a good choice for you.

Reply 96 of 307, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tnx RetroGamer4Ever !
yes indeed i made some more X2GS demos :
Warcraft II : Orc theme #1 : https://youtu.be/yM6BhWjypeU
DreamBlaster X2GS : Doom : Intermission : https://youtu.be/yM6BhWjypeU

Reply 97 of 307, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dreamblaster wrote on 2021-08-14, 08:51:

Warcraft II : Orc theme #1 : https://youtu.be/yM6BhWjypeU

This sounds awesome! Almost identical to the CD audio track that shipped on the game disc.

Makes me wonder if the WarCraft2 OST was composed on a SC-88. Given that the SC-88 was released in '94 and the game came out in December of '95, it does seem possible.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 99 of 307, by TheWeekendSlice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Potentially dumb question.

If I hook up an X2GS to a Windows 10 machine via USB, does the sound from the X2GS get sent via USB to the software that would use it? Or do I need to hook up the line out of the X2GS to the line in of the soundcard in the computer?

I want to output sound from that PC via HDMI and I don't know how I can get the X2GS to work for that.

Second question, how does one configure the X2GS to work with DOSbox, for example with the GOG games that run in DOSbox? I'm a complete DOSbox noob.

Thanks in advance for reading and replying.