VOGONS

PCem v17

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 102 of 146, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eddman wrote on 2021-07-09, 06:02:

@mods
Since the PCem forum is closed, could you please open the PCem thread?

What do you mean? A specific thread that has been closed in the past or open a new sub-section for PCem?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 103 of 146, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

We might need to discuss this among mods whether to create a new thread or open a subforum

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 104 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do we know who took the project over and what their plan is? I mean, PCem was great but opening a new subforum here because the current official one shut down seems like a bit premature? That would appear as though we are the new support channel and the new developer may potentially not appreciate it. I'm also concerned about the toxic inflow it could trigger, considering what pushed Sarah out in the first place..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 106 of 146, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote on 2021-07-09, 08:29:

What do you mean? A specific thread that has been closed in the past or open a new sub-section for PCem?

I meant the thread that already exists in the PC Emulation sub-section. I was thinking maybe it could be opened, at least temporarily, until the new maintainer comes forward, which by then a new thread or a sub-section can be opened.

Reply 107 of 146, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, the old pcem thread is too bloated. There is already a pcem v17 thread which is this one. This thread may need to be moved though. It can be a lot of work to maintain a forum which is why nowadays most don't bother.

Issue with keeping this thread is Sarah is the op so may be best to create a new one and close this one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 108 of 146, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Happy with what I can now run on my new Ryzen 3700x build.

Outside the very brief milliseconds hitches that happen no matter the CPU, I'm Getting 100% on a Pentium II 333mhz / Voodoo 3 / Win98SE config. Absolutely lovely stuff.
Aiming for the same setup I had back in 1998 as a youngster, and I'm pretty much there, other than my PII back then was a 450mhz. Hoping that with future PCem performance optimizations, I'll be able to hit that.

Thanks again, Sarah, and good luck to the new runner.

Reply 109 of 146, by Vladimir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, just learnt today about Sarah stepping down.

PCem is awesome, I use it a lot and am using it for my career in computer sciences, as I am using some Windows9x software. I also aim for my first setup being emulated... Sadly the emulation is very slow for a pentium 1 166mhz, even on a mid range computer, but it is still the only viable way of emulating that era or older PCs. No other virtualisation solution even cares about Windows 9x.

I am looking forward for optimizations, and feel grateful to Sarah for creating this extremely awesome emulator, as to pass the development when she decided not to continue.

It is actually my favourite application for the last decade, and a must be on my computers. I am crossing my fingers that it won´t get abandoned!

Reply 113 of 146, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2021-07-22, 20:30:

The file name actually said more than the screenshot. 😅

It's dither subtraction (the bottom left portion)

The interpreter implementation is done, not in the recompiler yet, and the table still needs tweaking

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 116 of 146, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually if a excellent good open source software gets a new maintainer/developer, the thing just "dies", it is just my observation 🙁

Well sometimes the developer really dies 🙁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 118 of 146, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-07-26, 08:31:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-07-26, 06:07:

Can anyone help me find a good fresh pack of BIOS files for PCem? Please?

I don't think the rules allow anyone to provide a link.

Exactly, please don't ask here or link to it.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper