Common searches

vintage open world games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenerb wrote on 2021-07-28, 14:57:

Darklands is a prime example of an open-world RPG, and Betrayal at Krondor.

Darklands was the first game I thinked about when I saw this thread's title.

Reply 21 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, you guys just put me in the mood to kill prostitutes with a car in GTA 3.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 22 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't kill prostitutes! Pick them up in your car and drive to a quiet place. After some... action... you will receive a health boost.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 25, by SherbertWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It wasn't always super detailed, but I remember the levels in Terminal Velocity being pretty large. The gameplay was similar to that of Descent, but much of it took place on the surface of various planets, and there was nothing stopping you from just flying around for a while before getting down to business and going into a tunnel. I don't know if they were accurately constructed that way, but the planets felt convincingly spherical to the point where you could encircle them if you wanted to do it.

Reply 25 of 25, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah yes terminal velocity did have that sense of freedom, i suppose in common with flight sims in that you could go in any direction within reason - i wonder if there were limits in TV in terms of distance and direction though, seems not

I missed darklands first time round and checked out some reviews - it does have that wandering around exploring feel

I suppose Elite should go in as a space sim, but it reflect the problems with all generated worlds whether space sim or massive rpg - they feel repetitive with the vastness feeling superficially different only

that's a tough balance to strike - between human created things and computer generated things, with more storage and larger content teams new titles can add ever more unique areas while also adding more nuance to the generation algorithms