VOGONS

Common searches

Just saw this about 3DFX this morning

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 73, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just recently i got this news feed on my mobile https://www.neowin.net/news/3dfx-interactive- … nce-is-sketchy/
Would be interesting if this would realy happen since new old GPU player on the field would be mighty good for competition. Though what might acctual chanses be for this to happen.
What are your thaughts.

rgrds

Reply 23 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blitz_25 wrote on 2021-08-02, 16:34:
Just recently i got this news feed on my mobile https://www.neowin.net/news/3dfx-interactive- … nce-is-sketchy/ Would be interes […]
Show full quote

Just recently i got this news feed on my mobile https://www.neowin.net/news/3dfx-interactive- … nce-is-sketchy/
Would be interesting if this would realy happen since new old GPU player on the field would be mighty good for competition. Though what might acctual chanses be for this to happen.
What are your thaughts.

rgrds

Considering the time, money and intellectual property it takes to stay current in the GPU design game, I have almost 0 confidence in this being even remotely likely.

The only scenario where I see something like that may be happening, is a an extremely well funded startup (or maybe a new division in a company with deep pockets) that has been developping for a while and is now on the cusp of showing results publicly .

If that's the case, however, publicly coming out with a misspelled twitter post under the guise/namesake of a company that succeeded in mismanaging itself into bankruptcy 20 odd years ago seems at least mildly moronic (mincing words) for whatever (likely expensive) PR firm is running the show .

Reply 24 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering the time, money and intellectual property it takes to stay current in the GPU design game

No worries, they'll just rerelease legendary Voodoo 5 9000, which takes only one slot.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26 of 73, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How many VSA-100 cores can you get on 10mm square of 14nm? ... that might be something like what could happen for only a few megabucks and a lot of chutzpah

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27 of 73, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-02, 21:17:

How many VSA-100 cores can you get on 10mm square of 14nm? ... that might be something like what could happen for only a few megabucks and a lot of chutzpah

IBM is working on 1nm stacked 3D lithography

How many gigahertz will a 1nm VSA100 operate at?

How many cores could be integrated?

Reply 28 of 73, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, but 14nm is what you get if a couple of hopefuls remortgage their big city homes, not billion dollar research lab first try.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 30 of 73, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-03, 02:11:

You can stack a lot of VSA100 chips even on 28nm lithography.

But can they all be packaged together as a single “video card on a chip” functioning together as a unit that runs at a useable and competitive 2ghz + clocking?

The slower they are the more that would need to run in parallel to be competitive

Reply 31 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-08-03, 02:52:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-03, 02:11:

You can stack a lot of VSA100 chips even on 28nm lithography.

But can they all be packaged together as a single “video card on a chip” functioning together as a unit that runs at a useable and competitive 2ghz + clocking?

The slower they are the more that would need to run in parallel to be competitive

Respectfully, even assuming that

a) the design can be scaled to run at higher clock speeds
b) running more (up to to 32, AFAIU) VSA100 units together allows performance to scale up without bottlenecking due to interconnect bandwidth limitations (or some other issue) well before the theoretical max number of units is reached

you would still end up with a fast(er) card with the feature set of the VSA100, so basically not even DirectX 7 feature set compatible .

So what would be the point ? Hoping to run Quake 2 at 2000fps at 4K ?

Reply 32 of 73, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-08-03, 03:38:

you would still end up with a fast(er) card with the feature set of the VSA100, so basically not even DirectX 7 feature set compatible .

Ah so it’s impossible to add an external feature set of
Ray tracing
Shader
Cube Map
To emulate or run the DX13 features?

We seem to backport things all the time, lean forward in terms of emulation is not a thing.

FCFCD935-D388-4F60-A67B-539C8220D271.jpeg
Filename
FCFCD935-D388-4F60-A67B-539C8220D271.jpeg
File size
26.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by rmay635703 on 2021-08-03, 18:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 73, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-08-03, 15:37:
Ah so it’s impossible to add an external feature set of Ray tracing Shader Cube Map To emulate or run the DX13 features? […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2021-08-03, 03:38:

Ah so it’s impossible to add an external feature set of
Ray tracing
Shader
Cube Map
To emulate or run the DX13 features?

We seem to backport things all the time, lean forward in terms of emulation is not a thing.

In software, you can do pretty much whatever you want, but the real-world usage at real-time framerates requires hardware implementation and GPUs need cores made for specific applications to do that. There is nothing in the old company tech IP apart from Glide that would be remotely applicable to today's marketplace and Glide is pretty well taken care through dGVoodoo and we seem to have access to all of the original Glide tech docs and SDKs at this point, so there's no real place for 3DFX to hold today.

Reply 35 of 73, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote on 2021-08-03, 19:42:

Did anyone really believe this was even supposed to be a half-baked announcement?

We will probably get a 3dfx labeled cell phone in 3-5 years sold by the C64 Pet Italian phone reseller company

darry wrote on 2021-07-31, 12:31:

Slow news day on the interwebz, i

but if that means "3dfx is back" , bravo clickbait and a cease and desist letter is likely incoming from Nvidia, unless Nvidia is somehow onboard with this, which I doubt .

Even more likely is that someone is trying to cash in by selling a supposedly somehow 3dfx related product, maybe not even video card related, with or without required licensing (hopefully with, for their sake).

In Europe if you don’t use a trademark after a certain period of time you loose your rights to it, cease and desist means nothing beyond economic recovery if you want to camp on somebody’s name.

That is why we have Commodore phones.

Anyone in the Euro zone want to visit a website and do a search for 3dfx to see who or what has filed recently?

Reply 36 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see the point of any advantage about using (if possible by who could use that on license I suppose) such brand when most of the players, employees, companies, etc would not remember who they were or what they meant for this industry. Also when the most modern memories might be not exactly great with the latest cards released. Ok that we have seen retro idea redesigned for short time sell like the mini retroconsole mania or even old phone brand used again on license to make more or less generic smartphone or feature phones. So I suppose it might not be impossible such move; what I don't understand is how and who would benefit simply talking about the company name instead of which gpu is released and which architecture, how much fast or whatever..
Also is it possible that none in the industry knew something like this would have been close to announcement? I suppose there should be much more previous info talked about it since months. Let's imagine how difficult it might be the creation of a brand new first GPU nowdays with the complexity of these times...

Reply 37 of 73, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That same site I posted the other day now has this article. https://wccftech.com/3dfx-interactive-acquire … ents-this-week/

I tried searching for the investment firm but did really come up with anything. I'm intrigued by what their big announcement will be tomorrow but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was just some giant prank/joke.

If you tried to go to the 3dfx site it just redirects you to nvidia's homepage likes it's done for the past 20 some odd years. These internet trolls have far to much time on their hands.

Reply 38 of 73, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds more like a situation of "yeah we had this line of products planned and in process, but didn't got no recognizable branding, so we fished around for some old name we could get for cheap..." .... can't wait to buy a 3DFx smartwatch for $50

Reply 39 of 73, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jansen product has had all manner of nonsense from floor underlayment to security systems to toy puzzles and models, even occasionally resells low end electronics and TVs

I can’t wait to buy my USB3 3DFX VGA Stick

Also don’t confuse this with a real multibillion dollar player like Janssen
One sells out of a consignment trailer the other has labs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomshardware … ll-not-returned

If a specialty goods reseller has actual engineers designing 3DFX products I will eat my shirt, at best they have a graphics artist and some Chinese electronics place lined up.