VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there.

Is there any tool/software to see the current GPU temperature on a Windows 98SE system? I'd like to monitor the temperature of my VGA card on Windows 98SE. Any idea would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Reply 4 of 13, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry, then. It is ATI Radeon 9550 (ASUS A9550) 256 MB AGP 8x.

Tried Everest Ultimate Edition and latest version of HWINFO, none of them gave such detail. Perhaps the card doesn't has any sensor related to that?

Reply 7 of 13, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Temperature monitoring shall be supported by a graphics card, which shall have a circuit for communication with the internal sensor in the GPU. If the card does not have this, the GPU temperature is not displayed in any program or driver. The most commonly used circuit was LM63, You can see if you can see him on the card.

Reply 10 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used MBM5 back in the win98 days, but yeah, gotta have hardware support.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 13, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there are 3rd party heat sensors for example pc towers with built in temperature panel the include the film type sensors that can be placed on the gpu heatsink underside without hindering cooling efficiency.

Reply 12 of 13, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-08-10, 18:26:

there are 3rd party heat sensors for example pc towers with built in temperature panel the include the film type sensors that can be placed on the gpu heatsink underside without hindering cooling efficiency.

some boards had an option to connect a thermistor as well, generally located near the AGP slot, and the bios can be configured to monitor that

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 13 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theoretically, if you have an SMBus header, you can use an arduino nano/micro clone or one of the ATTiny85 boards to speak to it in i2C and pass on the temp reading it's getting off a thermistor on it's analog input. But that's a bit of a mini project all by itself.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.